Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th September 2014, 21:49   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
Not sure if FW 1.0 would make any difference or where to get the same from. Best bet would be for someone in India who has the HU and still on FW1.0 to test this out.

I know you must have done it a few times by now, but could you just try it out once again? Just leave the DynOS setting as is; don't touch it. Just go into iGo and try changing the time zone to different values like +04:30 for example and check the results. Good luck! Let's see how it goes.
It didn't work for me. I am yet to receive India Maps with Navigation SD Card, what i am using right now is a trial version valid for next 90 days. May be it's because of this.

Btw, One thing i continuously notice is when i start the car (turn the engine on), i hear burrr sound from speaker for a sec and then it goes smooth. Ajay, Are you also facing the same?
abbey4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 00:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Btw, One thing i continuously notice is when i start the car (turn the engine on), i hear burrr sound from speaker for a sec and then it goes smooth. Ajay, Are you also facing the same?
Nope. I haven't faced that issue. When you mentioned it, I was wondering which noise were you talking about as I never experienced this in my unit. It plays music without any disturbance on mine while starting the engine. But now that you mentioned it, I will check and reconfirm same when I'm back.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 02:05   #93
blr
BHPian

Quote:
It didn't work for me. I am yet to receive India Maps with Navigation SD Card, what i am using right now is a trial version valid for next 90 days. May be it's because of this.

Sorry to hear it did not work for you.

One issue I am noticing is that if I switch off the unit and disconnect ACC power (leaving the +12V and GND connected) for a while, it loses clock settings (time, not time zone). Looks like there is no battery back up for the RTC. This means, each time I start the unit from this state, it MUST have a GPS fix for the time to be displayed. Until then the clock shows '--:--'. So, it is almost confirmed that abbey4u was getting the '--:--' for lack of a GPS fix. May be Ajay can confirm (when he has a chance to verify) if his HU also has the same issue.

Now, when the HU acquires the GPS time, the DynOS screen displayed the time as per the Time Zone setting in DynOS. Just switching to the NAV (GPS) screen and back to DynOS corrected the DynOS time also to the GPS time!

At any rate, Dynavin must revisit this whole settings and fix it. First, there appears to be no battery backup for the RTC or there is no hardware RTC at all (the clock being implemented in software alone), which is really bad! When the system is started from sleep (?), the time display is not available until a GPS fix is made, which will not happen anytime soon if one is inside a garage or in-building parking area. There may nor be an easy fix for this because it involves hardware change. This would be an issue even for people in Time Zones with 1 hour increments.

Next, there are two places where Time Zone can be set, but nowhere can we set the actual absolute time (AFAIK); this can only be acquired via the GPS. This means of the Time Zone settings (IMO, the one in DynOS, at least until such time they have the Internet feature ready and NTP can be implemented; but still would need battery backup for RTC) is redundant. They should keep only the GPS Time Zone setting and just copy this time into the whole system. They are doing it today, but in an inconsistent fashion and most likely was an oversight/bug rather than an intended feature (which probably got 'fixed' in version 1.0.1).
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 02:18   #94
BHPian

Quote:
One issue I am noticing is that if I switch off the unit and disconnect ACC power (leaving the +12V and GND connected) for a while, it loses clock settings (time, not time zone). Looks like there is no battery back up for the RTC. This means, each time I start the unit from this state, it MUST have a GPS fix for the time to be displayed. Until then the clock shows '--:--'. So, it is almost confirmed that abbey4u was getting the '--:--' for lack of a GPS fix. May be Ajay can confirm (when he has a chance to verify) if his HU also has the same issue.
Since I was waiting for an update to fix the time zone issue, I hadn't really worried about how and when the time was being displayed on the HU. However I had noticed that at times, as soon as the system is switched on, it showed '--:--'. When I'm back, will check when exactly it displays the same and when is the time shown. Will update once I check this.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 06:55   #95
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Since I was waiting for an update to fix the time zone issue, I hadn't really worried about how and when the time was being displayed on the HU. However I had noticed that at times, as soon as the system is switched on, it showed '--:--'. When I'm back, will check when exactly it displays the same and when is the time shown. Will update once I check this.
These findings and thoughts were based on my 'involved' testing last night to see if I could reproduce the issues faced by abbey4u. Just curious to know if a third HU also behaves the same way or if it was just an anomaly on my HU.
Old 25th September 2014, 11:02   #96
BHPian

Quote:
These findings and thoughts were based on my 'involved' testing last night to see if I could reproduce the issues faced by abbey4u. Just curious to know if a third HU also behaves the same way or if it was just an anomaly on my HU.
We should be refunded money for being part of User Acceptance Testing for Dynavin
abbey4u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 17:35   #97
blr
BHPian

Quote:
We should be refunded money for being part of User Acceptance Testing for Dynavin
Ideally, yes!

But I'd be pretty happy if the issues are recognized/accepted by Dynavin and fixed in a timely manner.
Old 26th September 2014, 03:25   #98
blr
BHPian

Just realized that there might be one MAJOR difference with my setup and what you guys have! You have the unit installed on the car and mine is on bench; that means there is no CAN-BUS for me! Not sure if by any remote chance the HU relies on the vehicle clock for timekeeping while the HU is off and this data is being pulled through CAN. If yes, then that could be the primary source of time data and may be the reason for the different behavior.

PS: Sorry about the back-to-back post, but this was done well past the window available for edit.
Old 30th September 2014, 07:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

I'm pretty sure these map issues are just teething bugs which should be removed soon. Lets see what dynavin has in store for us in their updates.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 00:33   #100
BHPian

Took the plunge and exchanged the Kenwood for Dynavin N6. Almost everything has been already discussed in detail in this thread and I have just put forward almost similar view in my ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3552231 (Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi on Team-BHP. EDIT : Now with 300 BHP on tap!)

Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-dynavinn6.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 08:48   #101
blr
BHPian

Congrats Robi! Heading to your owneship review now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Took the plunge and exchanged the Kenwood for Dynavin N6. Almost everything has been already discussed in detail in this thread and I have just put forward almost similar view in my ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3552231 (Yet another Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi on Team-BHP. EDIT : Now with 300 BHP on tap!)

Attachment 1297113
Old 16th October 2014, 11:02   #102
BHPian

An Amazing HU it is Now can I replace my Kenwood HU & Morel speakers with this setup? Too tempting to resist, but I'm wondering if my Polo 2011 model (CL variant) is compatible? The list said "New Polo" is supported - Does mine belong to this category?

Please help
vw19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 18:26   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
I'm wondering if my Polo 2011 model (CL variant) is compatible? The list said "New Polo" is supported - Does mine belong to this category?
I think it wouldn't make much of a difference between 2011 model Polo and later versions as far as HU connectors are concerned. Even if the list says "New Polo", it should be compatible with the previous model too.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 18:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I think it wouldn't make much of a difference between 2011 model Polo and later versions as far as HU connectors are concerned. Even if the list says "New Polo", it should be compatible with the previous model too.
Thanks for the reply Ajay. Can I retain my existing speakers and only change the HU?
vw19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 18:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Thanks for the reply Ajay. Can I retain my existing speakers and only change the HU?
Ofcourse you can retain the speakers - stock/aftermarket - when you change the HU. I guess you have upgraded from stock speakers already. Well the ideal thing would be to install the HU, listen to the sound reproduction and then worry about whether you need to change speakers. IMO you wouldn't need to swap the speakers if they already perform satisfactorily.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote