Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th August 2006, 02:23   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrajeshkumar
Thanks Gunbir! How are the Polk DB speakers performance when compared to Infinity kapa & JBL GTO...
I would rate the Infinity Kappa, Hertz Hi-Energy, and Alpine X-types in the higher category. And then the Polk dB and JBL GTO, along with Alpine R types and Hertz Energy in the lower category.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 18:31   #167
BHPian

Infintity kappa r very-2 good but if u power these from sony 504,u wont enjoy it.
So as said earlier by navin/gunbir,depends what else is part of ur system will also matter.

why dontu go for infinity spk and infinty 240 amplifier if u can find it.
But u will have to consider decent 5/6-ch amp if want to add sub as well.
It all depends on ur budget and ofcourse passion for it.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 20:16   #168
BHPian

Sure man! I will try to get an Amp..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Infintity kappa r very-2 good but if u power these from sony 504,u wont enjoy it.
So as said earlier by navin/gunbir,depends what else is part of ur system will also matter.

why dontu go for infinity spk and infinty 240 amplifier if u can find it.
But u will have to consider decent 5/6-ch amp if want to add sub as well.
It all depends on ur budget and ofcourse passion for it.
nrajeshkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 20:18   #169
BHPian

I have some doubts on basics

Is the Subwoofer do have the L & R sounds like the speakers. I guess no. If no Can i have audio set up with single Subwoofer ?

I read some where in the forum like "bridging" or "bridging to drive a single subwoofer". What does that exactly mean?

What is mean by Tri-Way Output?
Old 12th August 2006, 10:50   #170
Team-BHP Support

Bass frequenices can be summed and a common bass driver can be used for both channels. Given the size of bass boxes this is a very common method to get decent bass without sacrificing too much of the car's volume. Stereo bass is better but occupies more volume.

Most modern amps can be bridged. Bridging an amp allows both channels of the amp to work in unison thereby making a 2 ch. 100W amp into a 1 ch. 200W amp (the exact increase in power is based on amp design).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 12:29   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

"Is the Subwoofer do have the L & R sounds like the speakers. I guess no. If no Can i have audio set up with single Subwoofer ?"

checkout teh thread by KB100
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 18:13   #172
Senior - BHPian

to confuse u more about the sub mono and stereo.....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...-kb-ka-db.html (2 Subs - Dual Mono or Stereo - "Kb ka dB")
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 18:42   #173
Senior - BHPian

:(( .. my thread!! :(( ... NO dB :(( ***gut-wrenching sobs***
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 16:49   #174
BHPian

Hey does anyone know what size speakers the OPTRA ELITE supports by default. Does it have factory built space for the tweeters ??
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 02:15   #175
BHPian

Is the power subs are good? I even seen some subs like in the tube form enclosures. Which is the best way to set the subs?
Old 15th August 2006, 02:24   #176
Senior - BHPian

in an box enclosure there are variety of types ......but normally the sealed and the ported are used.....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/274557-post29.html
Old 16th August 2006, 11:16   #177
BHPian

Hi Folks a question for you:
I noticed that the GTO 607C comps and GTO 637 coax are 2 ohm speakers as compared to GTO 606C comps and GTO 636 coax which were 4 ohm speakers. However the RMS rating of each of them has not changed and is at 60W and 70W respectively. This would mean that i would require approximately half the power to drive the 607 and 737 as compared to that required to drive 606 and 636. Is my understanding correct ? If so then if I am using a GTO 75.4 to power them which is rated at 104W RMS per channel for a 4 ohm impedance, it could easily power 200W RMS per channel for 2 Ohm impedance. If so is it possible to power both the fronts comps and the back coax using just 2 channels of the amp ie. one channel to power the 2 fronts and one channel to power the 2 backs ?
Old 16th August 2006, 11:24   #178
Senior - BHPian

no this is not the correct interperation......this is the wrong way to connect speakers...the 4 channel should have all the speaker seprately...the 2 ohms is for that it can extract full juice from the amp thats all it has nothing to do with the rms figures....i would suggest connect each speaker to each channel of the amp to get the best of every thing from it......
Old 16th August 2006, 11:43   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph
Hi Folks a question for you:
I noticed that the GTO 607C comps and GTO 637 coax are 2 ohm speakers as compared to GTO 606C comps and GTO 636 coax which were 4 ohm speakers. However the RMS rating of each of them has not changed and is at 60W and 70W respectively. This would mean that i would require approximately half the power to drive the 607 and 737 as compared to that required to drive 606 and 636. Is my understanding correct ?
I don't think the conclusion that you derived is right. You don't have to pump in more power just because the speaker impedence becomes higher. To produce a given SPL from a speaker, the input power that needs to be fed depends on its "sensitivity" parameter, not impedence.

Quote:
If so then if I am using a GTO 75.4 to power them which is rated at 104W RMS per channel for a 4 ohm impedance, it could easily power 200W RMS per channel for 2 Ohm impedance.
Usually when you reduce the impedence of the speaker connected to a given amp, it usually does supply more power. But it is at the cost of more distortion. So when you compare power ratings of an amp for various speaker impedences, you must also see THD rating in each case. In other words, the amp may provide higher power for 2-ohm speakers as compared to 4-ohm, but at the same time corresponding THD figure is also expected to be worser (higher)!
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 12:11   #180
BHPian

LBM thanks for clarifying.. I did some R&D on this forum and found that it would be disastorous to connect two speakers to the same channel simply because the effective impedance would be halved so if the original impenace was 2 ohms connecting 2 of them in parallel will bring effective impedance down to 1 ohm and could cause the Amp to burn out.

Thanks once again.