Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd August 2006, 12:22   #1
BHPian

Question Face-Plate removal works?

Can anyone tell me if this is true. Can the thieves still make use of only the music system with out the face-plate? Can the music system still work if he uses some other matching face-plate? If yes, What is the use of making the detachable face-plate.
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the thieves will be able to do anything with the hu without the face plate . they will avoide takin the hu out as the hu will have no value without its face plate. I can say it is a precaution. but we dont know thieves mind he might take the base unit without the face plate......lol
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:32   #3
BHPian

Angry

Yes I think its possible to get a matching head panel (detachable face plate) in the second hand goods market. My pioneer got stolen even though the head panel was at home.
Huh....
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
I dont think the thieves will be able to do anything with the hu without the face plate . they will avoide takin the hu out as the hu will have no value without its face plate. I can say it is a precaution. but we dont know thieves mind he might take the base unit without the face plate......lol
Yes you are right. Then i can see some ppl have mentioned here that the HU with out the face-plate was stolen. Ofcourse i understand the thief can really make use of the stolen speakers though
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
Yes I think its possible to get a matching head panel (detachable face plate) in the second hand goods market. My pioneer got stolen even though the head panel was at home.
Huh....
Oh my god! then what is point in manufacturing the music system with the detachable face plate? why don't they do something useful
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:54   #6
BHPian

Default Removing the face plate repeatedly

Hi,

I think the purpose of making the detachable face plate is to discourage the thieves from stealing the headunit - nothing more.

I always remove the face plate when I have to park the car outside my own house. Sometimes I go out two or three times a day to different places and so I end up removing the face plate say three times a day. While I am sure it is good practice, I was just wondering if it might not damage the face plate's plastic connectors that attached it to the headunit.

- johy

Last edited by johy : 2nd August 2006 at 12:56.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

yea you do get just the face plate in the market. and if you get a face plate of the same model it will surely work on your HU
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
yea you do get just the face plate in the market. and if you get a face plate of the same model it will surely work on your HU
I actually once forgot to take the face-plate in my 800. The fella broke the glass and removed the whole system and went away. I did not have the auto cop fixed in my 800.
Old 3rd August 2006, 16:15   #9

Just a question, are face plates available in the market to buy separately too?? What if our face plates get damaged or worse lost?
angad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 16:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angad777
Just a question, are face plates available in the market to buy separately too?? What if our face plates get damaged or worse lost?
yea u do get face plates in the market. as in just the face plate. someone broke into my friends car nd stole the face plate only. my friend was going to buy another face plate but cos it was pretty expensive decided not to
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 17:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

some local make hu are fully removeable no face plate the complete hu comes out...........lol

no need for removeable face plate......
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 08:58   #12
BHPian

In the cases where they took the unit without the HU was there no autocop or similar security system?? just curious to know how they bypasses that ?
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 09:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph
In the cases where they took the unit without the HU was there no autocop or similar security system?? just curious to know how they bypasses that ?
No, there was no auto cop in my 800. :(
Old 4th August 2006, 10:27   #14
BHPian

Nowadays i think most car security system allow for the car audio system also to be secured so if somebody tries to pull it off the alarm goes off even if the theif has bypassed the door security.
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 10:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
some local make hu are fully removeable no face plate the complete hu comes out...........lol

no need for removeable face plate......
Some older Hus were fully removable I still have one.

Also many HU come with a screw at the back that tethers it to the dash make sure your installer uses this.

Funny thing happened to a friend. he removes his faceplate but to prevent loss of faceplate he leaves it in the map pocket under a cleaning cloth. Anyway his car is broken into and the HU is stolen leaving him with just a face plate! go figure!

Some 10 years back I had installed a system for another friend who lives in JVPD. Now his area is notorious for car accessory theft. Anyway after a few days he comes to me and tells me they caught the thief (who was attempting to steal his stereo). You see I had used WBT connectors on the RCA wires I had made to connect his HU to his amp. The WBTs were so damn tight that in the tight confines of the car and under stess the thief was struggling to pull the HU out and the building gurkha caught him.

BTW autocop is little better than useless (except as a detterent for the novice). defeating autocop is easy and with so many going off many security personnel have become immune to the racket esp if the racket dies down in <30 secs (all it takes to defeat them).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote