Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 16:24   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Sorry, if my solution is not contextual. But, if you need more details, let me know.
Difficult to get the relevant cloud context when driving in the remote corners of the country with not even a cell phone signal or a landline forget the internet connectivity.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 16:25   #62
Tgo
BHPian
 
Tgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pata(l)-Jaipur
Posts: 345
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ah! Well, sorry for causing a waste of your time and effort. I (like most others) wouldn't think of 'upgrading' the HDD just because it gets me more space. I would just replace the kaput HDD with one of the same size and characteristics. In such a case I don't see how and why the addressing scheme matters to me. Let me keep my thinking simple and get the piece working, in peace. I have no intention of earning a PhD in Apple internals! K.I.S.S. principle
So you mean to say if I replace the HDD in my 4th gen 20GB iPod it will be a plug and play replacement and I wouldn't need to load the OS onto that? Because this brings out a very interesting prospect for me.
Tgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 16:32   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Difficult to get the relevant cloud context when driving in the remote corners of the country with not even a cell phone signal or a landline forget the internet connectivity.
Agree. But I what I am seeing for the past few years is the gradual increase in availability of 3G networks. There are lots of ways in which cloud solution can be fine tuned towards special circumstances. For e.g: Offline caching can be used for situations like the one you have mentioned. Of course, one must be ready to face some minor inconveniences as the technology is still progressing. Just note that how we take the presence of 2G, Electricity and Petrol Bunks for granted. I am sure we will have a pan India coverage in about couple of years. Last time when I visited Virajapet and Madikeri in Coorg, my phone was receiving the strongest possible 3G signals, which I dont get even in Bangalore. The benefits of cloud solution (appropriately weighed against the circumstances) outweighs the cons.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 17:19   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
So you mean to say if I replace the HDD in my 4th gen 20GB iPod it will be a plug and play replacement and I wouldn't need to load the OS onto that? Because this brings out a very interesting prospect for me.
Yes it will be a plug and play replacement. The OS will be loaded by iTunes the first time you plug it in to a computer after replacement and iTunes recognizes an unformatted/restored iPod. Just make sure you get a compatible/similar HDD.

Last edited by StarScream : 5th November 2014 at 17:20.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 17:51   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
... The benefits of cloud solution (appropriately weighed against the circumstances) outweighs the cons.
Cloud storage is really not the solution at all for what we are discussing here - it is an illogical digression.

* IF I have Internet access, I don't need Cloud Storage - I would rather listen to streaming radio of the genre of my choice. Much more variety than I could possibly buy and store

* Cloud storage is a totally different category not comparable to local storage. Why? Try accessing Cloud Storage through a conventional HU

* Cloud storage will increase the complexity of equipment one needs - just to access the Cloud Storage. One needs a *computer*, whereas currently one gets away with a *media player* (which is not a 'computer' by any stretch of imagination).

Simple funda: more complexity, more the chances of failure. One wants to listen to music, not bother about equipment and communication failure. A geek can forget the music and busy himself with the failures as it gives tremendous geeky thrills.

For non-geeks, anything beyond Whatsapp and Facebook on a smartphone is a turn-off! But for the fact that FM channels are 50% music and 50% ads, most people would have relied on the 'radio' function of the HU.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 13:27   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Cloud storage is really not the solution at all for what we are discussing here - it is an illogical digression.
>> Cloud storage is really not the solution at all for what we are discussing here - it is an illogical digression.
(Me) In that case, I stop here (well, almost!).

>> IF I have Internet access, I don't need Cloud Storage - I would rather listen to streaming radio of the genre of my choice...
(Me) You are confused with "cloud storage" with "cloud solution". We can take it offline.

>> Cloud storage is a totally different category not comparable to local storage. Why? Try accessing Cloud Storage through a conventional HU.
I am fully aware of what actually the HU units are capable of. May be I did not put across my points well. Sorry if I have caused a confusion.

>>Cloud storage will increase the complexity of equipment one needs - just to access the Cloud Storage. One needs a *computer*, whereas currently one gets away with a *media player* (which is not a 'computer' by any stretch of imagination).
(Me): Incorrect. I stop here, as we can take it offline.

>> Simple funda: more complexity, more the chances of failure. One wants to listen to music, not bother about equipment and communication failure. A geek can forget the music and busy himself with the failures as it gives tremendous geeky thrills.
(Me): Geeks are also music buffs. In fact, its the efforts of the so called "geeks" that music is in its current shape. :-).

>> For non-geeks, anything beyond Whatsapp and Facebook on a smartphone is a turn-off! But for the fact that FM channels are 50% music and 50% ads, most people would have relied on the 'radio' function of the HU.
(Me) Fully agree. This is precisely the reason to move to "cloud". There, I said it again.

Any cloud solution has to be a hybrid solution with offline capabilities to compensate for its (clouds) inherent weaknesses. In this case, OP can buy a good music smartphone, with an SD card, and still reap the benefits of a cloud solution for music.

Also, please feel free to move on if this is not relevant to the topic on hand. Based on OPs post, I just shot from the hip! (so to say).
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 15:47   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
... You are confused with "cloud storage" with "cloud solution". ...
LOL All that is available on the Internet cannot be termed "Cloud". The specific situation in which an Internet application can be called a "cloud solution" is unambiguous, and definitely not what you are pointing to.

We are talking of portable "personal music collections" here, so the link is with "storage", not a "solution" that is not "storage". I had hoped you would have understood my allusion to 'digression'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
... Incorrect. ...
<Sigh> Perhaps you should get to know more about the insides? Abstraction can actually be the worst enemy of understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
... In fact, its the efforts of the so called "geeks" that music is in its current shape ...
There are a few musicians who are "geeks" too, but saying "geeks" brought us to this point in music is, well, stretching it too far. For example, the engineers who contributed to MP3 compression algorithm didn't do it with computers and programming in mind, nor were they "geeks" by any flight of imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
... I just shot from the hip! (so to say).
Thank God this is not the wild West (so to say)!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 17:21   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

^^ DerAlte, thanks for the clarification. I knew I had digressed and alluded to the same in my first post when I said I had not read all the posts. Just got excited about newer things happening. The challenge is, when I want to share something new, I am not sure if I should start a new thread or post it in some related thread. This forum is so huge, every topic is covered in all details and subject matter experts are the norm. Very glad to be a part of this forum. I just hope OP finds a solace (and a solution) to his OP (Original Problem!).
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 18:32   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I just hope OP finds a solace (and a solution) to his OP (Original Problem!).
Nope still looking. I have a partial solution for my current HU which I think will allow me to limp along (post 56).
Even if I don't get solid state storage for the 256 GB capacity I need, I will buy a small portable HDD. This I hope , will provide a jolly good limp-along solution in case the ipod breaks down while I am doing my next 3000 km run (shudder to think of the long kms without our 'family' music!)
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 18:58   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
^^ DerAlte, thanks for the clarification. I knew I had digressed and alluded to the same in my first post when I said I had not read all the posts. Just got excited about newer things happening. The challenge is, when I want to share something new, I am not sure if I should start a new thread or post it in some related thread. This forum is so huge, every topic is covered in all details and subject matter experts are the norm. Very glad to be a part of this forum. I just hope OP finds a solace (and a solution) to his OP (Original Problem!).
I'm actually quite curious to know how this will work. And if it's a solution to joybhowmik's dilemma, then it's very relevant.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 17:30   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,705
Thanked: 89,030 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What if your music collection already exceeds 128GB or even 160GB?
- Sync only those playlists that you listen to most frequently.

- Get a 1 TB hard-drive and hook it up to your ICE.

- Wait for 256 GB SD Cards to become cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Having grown used to itunes over the years, and since it has become the one UI that I and wifey have to manage all the music in our home network , shifting away from it would need something that least disrupts the taxonomy and practices that we've set up over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
the itunes gives me an excellent interface.

I also totally agree with you that the indexing/organization on itunes is phenomenal.
Totally! I love iTunes and can't even imagine moving to any other music management software.

Quote:
Moreover, it exchanges statistics about the songs played with the ipod.
FYI: iSyncR does this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I do use isyncr - it does a sort of decent job of transferring tracks over from itunes to your android, but the setup is fiddly, and don't ever let your wifi connection drop for any reason, it doesn't recover too gracefully from what I experienced
You sure you're running the latest version? I've never faced any of the issues you've mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
I have thousands of songs in my collection. These days, I just use my smartphone via bluetooth to access my entire song repository from cloud. All my music is on Google Music. I stream it in my car all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I haven't been through all the posts here, but my solution for OP is to move to cloud. I have moved all my digital needs to the cloud, be it be docs, audio or video.
This is definitely the future. Music on demand, via the internet. Whether its accessing your own collection or a 3rd party's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
A few things about this. With BB10 phones, the official Link software syncs with iTunes so you don't need any additional software.

What I lose with this setup is iTunes playlists (need to make them afresh on the phone)
That must suck! I can't even imagine recreating my playlists. There's years of effort behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Bandwidth caps are becoming the norm even in the western world.
Until that happens, I'm going to enjoy my no-cap internet connection from Reliance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IF I have Internet access, I don't need Cloud Storage - I would rather listen to streaming radio of the genre of my choice. Much more variety than I could possibly buy and store
I'd disagree. Whether I'm on my desk or in the car, I prefer listening to my own, organised collection with the songs I really like...over 2/3rds of the time (1/3rd is internet radios).

Quote:
Try accessing Cloud Storage through a conventional HU
I think it shows how poor HU development rates are. When a 5-10K smartphone can access cloud storage quickly & efficiently, why can't HUs? The sluggishness of my 25K Pioneer HU is appalling.

Quote:
Cloud storage will increase the complexity of equipment one needs
Or reduce it if I stream from my smartphone

Honestly, I don't think the days of smart HUs & connected cars are too far away.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 08:26   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 1,937 Times
Default Re: Apple kills the 160 GB iPod Classic. Now what?

@gto I tried an older version of isyncr, yes. Haven't tried it again
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Zune(launched), the answer to Apple's iPod F50 Gadgets, Computers & Software 41 21st August 2009 00:34
Apache RTR 160 now with Rear Disc Brake! ramki067 Motorbikes 0 7th January 2009 13:42
apple ipod nano vs sony network walkman sathya_j2084 Gadgets, Computers & Software 9 14th April 2008 22:13
apple ipod nano chetan Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 26th July 2006 17:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks