Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 14:48   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

The effort to put these rubber sheets will be more than buy noise skill at 150 persqft.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 15:56   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
However one shop had a roll of thin neoprene, no smell, light weight, flexible and Rs110 per kg. It was perfect in all ways except that it wasnt self adhesive
Exactly the reasons why it will not work! Self-adhesive is the least of the worries, what you need is dense material which has enough weight per unit area to act as a damper. Yes of course you can apply it with rubber-adhesive, except it takes a LOT longer to complete the job. First get proper damping material.

If ready-made damping material is not available in Baroda, get it from Mumbai.

If you are worried about the cost, you can
a. minimize the area on which you need to stick it (treat large areas not interrupted by a bend, fold, or stiffener) or
b. use appropriate alternate materials, such as
* 'tar felt' (layers of paper and jute bonded with tar-based material; use for roof sealing; limited flexibility; contains mica filler to stabilize tar so that it doesn't melt and ooze out in hot weather)
* closed cell foam stuffed in areas which have a mechanical support (metal straps, another metal sheet) close by
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 16:30   #63
BHPian
 
adityamunshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baroda
Posts: 771
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hi deralte

Its not about the cost or getting proper damping here. The problem is that im selling this car off in 6 months max.

There's no point in wasting any amount of proper damping on it. There were atleast 20 different grades of rubber there, ill look for something else and I'll also try and look for the alternatives you suggested.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Exactly the reasons why it will not work! Self-adhesive is the least of the worries, what you need is dense material which has enough weight per unit area to act as a damper. Yes of course you can apply it with rubber-adhesive, except it takes a LOT longer to complete the job. First get proper damping material.

If ready-made damping material is not available in Baroda, get it from Mumbai.

If you are worried about the cost, you can
a. minimize the area on which you need to stick it (treat large areas not interrupted by a bend, fold, or stiffener) or
b. use appropriate alternate materials, such as
* 'tar felt' (layers of paper and jute bonded with tar-based material; use for roof sealing; limited flexibility; contains mica filler to stabilize tar so that it doesn't melt and ooze out in hot weather)
* closed cell foam stuffed in areas which have a mechanical support (metal straps, another metal sheet) close by
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 17:24   #64
BHPian
 
shrivz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pune, MH12
Posts: 603
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I couldnt find self adhesive sheets

However one shop had a roll of thin neoprene, no smell, light weight, flexible and Rs110 per kg. It was perfect in all ways except that it wasnt self adhesive.

Is it possible to stick it with a rubber based adhesive ? And if i do that what should i use to apple pressure until the adhesive cures ?
My friend, neoprene will NOT do the job!

as DerAlte has mentioned, you need something dense which will be heavy!

If you are selling the car soon, don't bother with damping it!
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 17:43   #65
BHPian
 
adityamunshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baroda
Posts: 771
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I guess i'll look around a bit more for self adhesive butyl rubber sheets. If i cant find them i shall drop the damping all together, alteast for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
My friend, neoprene will NOT do the job!

as DerAlte has mentioned, you need something dense which will be heavy!

If you are selling the car soon, don't bother with damping it!
EDIT : Gunbir mentioned something about using waterproofing materials as an alternative at the beginning of this thread. Can anybody explain further ?
(Here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post276899 )

Last edited by adityamunshi : 30th March 2008 at 17:47.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 17:59   #66
BHPian
 
shrivz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pune, MH12
Posts: 603
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Moreover, I've noticed that in many cases its things like the power window assembly which rattle rather than the door itself.

Ideally eliminate all these rattles first. One could use a filler like silicon rubber around the screws / bolts.
Only after getting rid of these rattles should you contemplate the need for damping.
Silicon rubber is used extensively for waterproofing applications, it doubles in the case of damping. Basically, you could look out for liquid sealants, asphalt based or rubber based.

Its going to be a really messy job working with liquid products!

Last edited by shrivz : 30th March 2008 at 18:01.
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 20:54   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Its not about the cost or getting proper damping here. The problem is that im selling this car off in 6 months max.

There's no point in wasting any amount of proper damping on it. ...
Right, if you are selling there is scarcely any logic to put money in serious damping at all. Do the "sasta, sundar aur tikau" thing:

* Get some closed-cell foam sheets, masking tape and bulk araldite
* Try to figure out which places vibrate the most in the door inner pads (your fingertips would be the best sensors)
* Stick the cc foam on the door pad inside with araldite. When the araldite hardens stiff, it will itself provide some damping with the cc foam
* Roll some closed cell foam and stick them to the inner metal part of the door, in a way that the door pad would press the foam when fitted back. Tape the roll down after applying araldite, so that it does not fall away
* Get some masking tape and stick loose cables down wherever you feel they may cause a rattle
* Ditto for the boot
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 21:02   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore/London
Posts: 126
Thanked: Once
Default

I am going to use Flashing Tape which is way cheaper than Dynamat and probably have to put 3 to 4 layers to get the result of Dynamat Extreme and its still cheaper than Dynamat Extreme.


Flashing tape I got was 150mm and 10metres roll. Got it for 11 GBP i.e., 880 Rs. and is sufficient for dooors easily. Will be putting it next weekend and will tell the results..
kiran1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 10:13   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
I am going to use Flashing Tape which is ...
What is "Flashing Tape"? What makes you infer that this tape will deliver performance equivalent to Dynamat Extreme even with any number of layers?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 15:15   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore/London
Posts: 126
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is "Flashing Tape"? What makes you infer that this tape will deliver performance equivalent to Dynamat Extreme even with any number of layers?
[COLOR=#000000]Flashing Tape s a self adhesive tape, comprising of an aluminium foil backed by a flexible modified bitumen adhesive compound. It is used for the repairing of pipes, joints, glazing systems etc.[/COLOR]

Ideally Dymanat Extreme is what I would have used or anyone for that matter, but thie point is budget deadening.

I mainly took this for the cost effective reasons and moreover I dont want to spend much on my car which I am sure of upgrading it in a year. And I am expecting a decent sound thats it..

And I did read in some forums that 3-4 layers does make considerable difference. The effective part may not be near Dynamat Extreme, but we are talking abt cheapest option and if effectiveness is required, I would definately go for Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro kit from Second Skin.
kiran1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 16:06   #71
BHPian
 
adityamunshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baroda
Posts: 771
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Is it available in India ? If yes, where ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
[COLOR=#000000]Flashing Tape s a self adhesive tape, comprising of an aluminium foil backed by a flexible modified bitumen adhesive compound. It is used for the repairing of pipes, joints, glazing systems etc.[/COLOR]

Ideally Dymanat Extreme is what I would have used or anyone for that matter, but thie point is budget deadening.

I mainly took this for the cost effective reasons and moreover I dont want to spend much on my car which I am sure of upgrading it in a year. And I am expecting a decent sound thats it..

And I did read in some forums that 3-4 layers does make considerable difference. The effective part may not be near Dynamat Extreme, but we are talking abt cheapest option and if effectiveness is required, I would definately go for Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro kit from Second Skin.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 16:25   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore/London
Posts: 126
Thanked: Once
Default

I dont think so?? This is especially made for colder countries where the roof outlets are sealed off to prevent leakage. Google around and you will see how many have used this as an alternative deadening material in their cars. I can provide links of the installs also but dunno if its appropriate to post link of other forums.
kiran1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 16:45   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Oh, OK, it is a more sophisticated equivalent of "tar felt"!

Sure, it should work, as long as it feels heavier than neoprene and other rubber sheets per unit area. Even it is twice as heavy as ordinary rubber sheet of same dimensions, you will be close to ideal in 2 layers, 3 layers being even better.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 18:17   #74
BHPian
 
nickoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Noida\Patiala
Posts: 175
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

hi folks...i am not new to this forum since i have been tracking this section for quite some long but this is my first post.
I have a Swift with Pio 5050+ MTX Compos(TXC 6.0) in the front door and Kenwood (KFC-HQ718)in the rear.I am quite satisfied with the sound quality but the only issue is the rattling of the front doors. I have been looking for decent value for money dampening material since the front door rattle a lot. Any idea from where i can procure Noise Kill in Delhi or NCR regions.
Would appreaciate any kind of help.
nickoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 18:44   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Though damping reduces rattling, it is more by way of the nip-and-tuck that takes place during applying damping.

If you facing rattling, like "a couple of small stones in a plastic bottle" type, have someone open the door pads and tape the lose cables and wires down. Also check if there is any play in the window winding mechanism and the latch / lock mechanism.

Once you have got these problems sorted out, you can invest in damping - which will reduce / remove the annoying buzzes, the squeaks and the trrrr's.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread kb100 In-Car Entertainment 1146 7th December 2017 11:58
Sound Proofing material for car ezee Modifications & Accessories 20 13th January 2010 16:17
How effective is sound deadening material in tackling rattling ? swathyd In-Car Entertainment 19 15th August 2008 20:15
sound proofing material query makanaka In-Car Entertainment 3 11th August 2008 11:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks