Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th March 2015, 19:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Building your own component speakers?

Recently, the supply of high quality drivers has really opened up for DIY'ers.
Peerless, dayton audio, and some other drivers are available online.

I have a feeling that building a car audio speaker should be easy (take care of frequency response, get drivers that have decent sensitivity & good off axis response) and you should be good. Things like enclosure design and driver placement are going out of the window anyway

Ideally one should measure the T/S parameters ourselves etc, but looking at the driver prices, i feel we should be able to cook something decent up at a reasonable cost compared to mainstream offerings.

Gurus, what do you think?
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 13:33   #2
BHPian

Default re: Building your own component speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Peerless, dayton audio, and some other drivers are available online.

I have a feeling that building a car audio speaker should be easy (take care of frequency response, get drivers that have decent sensitivity & good off axis response) and you should be good. Things like enclosure design and driver placement are going out of the window anyway

Ideally one should measure the T/S parameters ourselves etc, but looking at the driver prices, i feel we should be able to cook something decent up at a reasonable cost compared to mainstream offerings.

Gurus, what do you think?
Posting after a very long time. I am not part of the "Guru" list but still wanted to pen down my opinion. People have already done this atleast partially (myself using a Fountek Fe87 as midrange) and I know guys in the same forum and other forums who have tried this (specifically Dayton drivers). IMO you just need the following:

* Power handling of these speakers
* T/S specs
* Impedance curve (for xover design)
* FR response On axis and offaxis (again to choose xover point)

Cheers,
Venki
venki7744 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 13:57   #3
BHPian

Any sites recommended for sourcing drivers?
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 14:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

In india, i can think of diyaudiocart & theaudiocrafts. diyaudiocart was the one that started it all, and has a slightly better selection of drivers, but theaudiocrafts seems to stock inductors, which is a big plus

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th March 2015 at 14:12.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rolling your own component speakers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
Posting after a very long time. I am not part of the "Guru" list but still wanted to pen down my opinion. People have already done this atleast partially (myself using a Fountek Fe87 as midrange)
The demands of the car environment (UV, heat and humidity) is harsh and drivers like the Fostex maybe have limited life in this environment.

I have experimented with Aurasound (NS3-194), Jordan (JX92), Fostex (FF85K) , Tangband (871), etc... and the allure of fullrange (or at best fullrange over about 300hz) has stuck.

When I got the Camry I tried a few drivers (including at least one prototype) and in the end settled with Hybrid Audio's Legatia 3" fullrange with a helper woofer below 200hz (I think). The front channels are powered by a 4ch. Steg (since it is active).

Multiway car speakers have to adhere to certain requirements.
  • Be rugged - tolerance to UV, Heat, Humidity, dust and even moisture
  • Tweeters need to have very small or no flange
  • Crossovers cant be too complex (complex crossovers rob precious power and are large)
  • Woofers (aka Midwofoers) need to have a wider than normal dispersion as they are often stuck low down in doors - oh yes the magnets cant get too large but some woofers already have NdFeB magnets (ScanSpeak's Illuminators for example) such as the now discontinued Illusion Carbon woofers.

The advantages are
  • T/S specs are not really a big issue, the car door is a lossy box and hence high Qts drivers are the norm.
  • Very Low Fs/fb (for midwoofers) is not really a huge issue since most people going down this route will be adding a high Mms power hungry Class D powered Sub in the trunk. Midwoofers hence will need only operate from 80Hz onwards
  • Sensitivity (for the mid and upper range drivers) is much less of an issue since the listener is usually barely 1m away from the speakers. Matching sensitivity of woofer and tweeter can be a small challenge but is usually pretty manageable.

Last edited by navin : 27th March 2015 at 16:22.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 16:05   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Building your own component speakers?

Wish I had known this earlier - Had a mishap with my outdoor speakers recently and one of the drivers broke
After a lot of hunting for 5.25" drivers, I ended up buying a pair of JBL car coaxials :(
Surgically removed the tweeter connections from one and discarded the other to replace the broken driver

Despite an ingrained habit to check nearly everything online first, this was one time I decided to go hunt the local electronic market instead :(
Thanks for this Greenie, BTW you may remember me as Superczar from another forum and another era!

Last edited by abhi182 : 27th March 2015 at 16:06.
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 16:52   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Rolling your own component speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The demands of the car environment (UV, heat and humidity) is harsh and drivers like the Fostex maybe have limited life in this environment.

The advantages are
  • T/S specs are not really a big issue, the car door is a lossy box and hence high Qts drivers are the norm.
  • Very Low Fs/fb (for midwoofers) is not really a huge issue since most people going down this route will be adding a high Mms power hungry Class D powered Sub in the trunk. Midwoofers hence will need only operate from 80Hz onwards
  • Sensitivity (for the mid and upper range drivers) is much less of an issue since the listener is usually barely 1m away from the speakers. Matching sensitivity of woofer and tweeter can be a small challenge but is usually pretty manageable.
So far it has survived constant sun burn as its being parked outside @ office. The mid range and tweeter is on dash inside a FG enclosure. I believe T/s specs/z-curve plays a role in midrange enclosure and also in determining correction n/w for xover (knowing you from diyaudio days I may be totally wrong here ).

Cheers,
Venki
venki7744 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 17:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had used a pair of local 4" in my dashboard to go 3 way
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...y-3-way-3.html
after 6 years, the speakers are still going strong, though the cone surface is not in good shape.

Alternately, a friend of mine's bull audio components had totally rusted over and locked up the voice coil in his door location (despite being a proper audio component)

Mounting hi fi tweeters is a potential issue, due to the mounting flange. Since I've gone three way, I've realized there is no way I'll go 2 way again - so I expect to put some sort of enclosure for a midrange on the dashboard, so I'll stick a tweeter along with it.

One challenge i noticed was that my current hertz dieci's are 93dB - most DIY drivers run 86-90 db, (the one venki posted is 84!), so you'll need an amp for sure, which kinda eats into the cost savings.
Old 30th March 2015, 13:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe T/s specs/z-curve plays a role in midrange enclosure and also in determining correction n/w for xover (knowing you from diyaudio days I may be totally wrong here ).
Yes (I was referring to mid-woofers, maybe I should have clarified). Knowledge of Qts would be necessary (but not Fs or Vas as low end response wont be required). If you are using the Fe87 as a mid then I would not worry, it's pretty good in the 200-10k range. Many use it as a fullrange. I like the FF85K better.

Quote:
I had used a pair of local 4" in my dashboard to go 3 way...Alternately, a friend of mine's bull audio components had totally rusted over and locked up the voice coil
I have always preferred to use foam baffles such as the XTC ones linked below so that the speaker is not exposed to too much moisture

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0ZoP8rr...r-Baffles.html
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 21:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
If you are using the Fe87 as a mid then I would not worry, it's pretty good in the 200-10k range.
I have it crossed @ 5k the tweeter is doing its job for the rest of the frequencies. The good thing about FE87 is that it has a flat Z-curve post Resonance frequency hence the need for a correction n/w is not required making the crossover easier to design. I got these from diyaudiocart and one they ship was matched pairs which meant that the speakers performed similar in same enclosure.
venki7744 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 10:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have it crossed @ 5k the tweeter is doing its job for the rest of the frequencies. The good thing about FE87 is that it has a flat Z-curve post Resonance frequency hence the need for a correction n/w is not required making the crossover easier to design. I got these from diyaudiocart and one they ship was matched pairs which meant that the speakers performed similar in same enclosure.
Nice. You are using the FE87 well within it's prescribed limits. I am surprised the surround has held up so well under automobile conditions. It gives me confidence is maybe experimenting with the FF85 if and when the need arises.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 22:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised the surround has held up so well under automobile conditions.
I am hoping the same
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:35   #13
BHPian

By the way there is a group buy happenning for Tympany 3" drivers in hifivision. Its cheaper than the above mentioned driver. I got 4 for myself and planning to build a TL for my home (want to try Metronomes). @Greenhorn you might give this a try as well (it has woven cone i guess FG) and has an Fs around 125hz. I will post the Fr response later if you are interested.

Note to Mods: I am not sure if I can post links from other forums hence not pasting the link here.
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote