Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:29   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Which DVD Head Unit ???

which is the best DVD HU available ?

i have the sony Mex-R1, which is pretty good IMHO, compared to the pioneer . Are there any more models other than these ? and if so, please compare the features here.

Features of Sony MEX-R1


TUNER• SSIR-EXA Digital Synthesizer Tuner
• FM18/MW6/LW6
• Preset List
• BTM (Best Tuning Memory) CD DECK• New Drive-S HX Deck
• VCD, CD & CD-R/-RW Playback
• MP3 Playback with ID3Tag v. 2.4
• MPEG1, MPEG2 & JPEG Playback
• DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-VR/+VR & DVD-Video Playback
CHANGER CONTROLCD CONTROL
• CD-Text Display/Scroll
• Custom File

MD CONTROL
• Title Display/Scroll
• Repeat/Shuffle
• List SOUND CONTROLAMPLIFIER
• S-MOSFET Output Power: 52Wx4
• Pre Out x 2
• 24bit DAC
• Sub Out
• Aux-In (lite)
• DSO2 (Dynamic Soundstage Organizer 2)
• EQ7 (7-Band Equalizer/7 Modes)
• Bass/Treble
• High Pass Filter
• Low Pass Filter GENERAL• Detachable Front Panel
• Zone by Zone Mode (Very Useful)
• Picture EQ
• RM-X702 Wirless Card Commander (Inclt.)
• RM-X4S Wired Rotary Commander (Opt.)

More detailed features & Specs are available at
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...+Entertainment

the pioneer specs are available at
http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront...&CatId=2,23,28

is there a DVD player that can play DVD audio ??

please suggest & compare other makes & models also. this could be useful for anyone who is going for an upgrade.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 10:39   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

I have this one (at home not in my car!!). Planning to put full review once installed. Price - 1099 Dhs which is quite good
power Output: 50W x 4 Max.
MOS-FET Power Amp
GIGA MP3 MULTI
Digital 7-Band iEQ
Ready for iPod®*
USB Memory Slot for Music File Playback (MP3/WMA)
DVD-R/-RW, +R/+RW, VCD Compatible
Multi-Border DVD Compatible
DivX® Compatible
WAV Compatible
MP3/WMA Compatible with ID3/WMA Tag
CD/CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
DTS/Dolby Digital/MPEG Audio (2ch)
24-bit DAC (Audio)
Adjustable Line Input Terminals
Line Output Terminals ( x 2 pairs)
Video Output Terminals
Second Audio Output
Subwoofer Output Terminals with Level/Frequency Control
Optical Digital Output
Flip-down Face
Rotary Encoder Multi-Control
Dual Zone Function
Multi-Function Wireless Remote Control
*In conjunction with KS-PD100

Full features at http://www.jvc-me.com/pressReleasesDetail.asp?id=22
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 14:20   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
I have this one (at home not in my car!!). Planning to put full review once installed. Price - 1099 Dhs which is quite good
power Output: 50W x 4 Max.
MOS-FET Power Amp
GIGA MP3 MULTI
Digital 7-Band iEQ
Ready for iPod®*
USB Memory Slot for Music File Playback (MP3/WMA)
DVD-R/-RW, +R/+RW, VCD Compatible
Multi-Border DVD Compatible
DivX® Compatible
WAV Compatible
MP3/WMA Compatible with ID3/WMA Tag
CD/CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
DTS/Dolby Digital/MPEG Audio (2ch)
24-bit DAC (Audio)
Adjustable Line Input Terminals
Line Output Terminals ( x 2 pairs)
Video Output Terminals
Second Audio Output
Subwoofer Output Terminals with Level/Frequency Control
Optical Digital Output
Flip-down Face
Rotary Encoder Multi-Control
Dual Zone Function
Multi-Function Wireless Remote Control
*In conjunction with KS-PD100

Full features at http://www.jvc-me.com/pressReleasesDetail.asp?id=22
u mean u will be installing it in your car soon, right ??
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 20:51   #4
BHPian
 
929RON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: KS CITY
Posts: 114
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

The best DVD Head unit in terms of Sound/Video Quality I have heard and seen is the New Pioneer 7850 in Asia / 7800 in USA, comes with an external processor, and it sounds marvellous. You will literally feel you are in an AMC Theater. All you need is a bass Tube along with it. and 6 Speakers
929RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 22:18   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929RON
The best DVD Head unit in terms of Sound/Video Quality I have heard and seen is the New Pioneer 7850 in Asia / 7800 in USA, comes with an external processor, and it sounds marvellous. You will literally feel you are in an AMC Theater. All you need is a bass Tube along with it. and 6 Speakers

who`s cost is nearly 75k ..........but the above hu is for 10-15k....now compare.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 23:19   #6
BHPian
 
929RON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: KS CITY
Posts: 114
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Well the ? was which is the best , so me named the best me knew,

Not the best Value for Money,
If I were to name value for money then the Jensen VM9511 is awesome too.
929RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 13:35   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929RON
Well the ? was which is the best , so me named the best me knew,

Not the best Value for Money,
If I were to name value for money then the Jensen VM9511 is awesome too.
it is quite ok 929, we can review the higher end sets too. i mean, this could be split into

1. the sub 25 k category
2. the > 25K category

both could be useful for quite a few people here.

regarding the models u have mentioned, could u throw us some light on their features & app. prices also please.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 16:58   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

The 7850 seems to be a kick A$$ HU. It supports almost all the formats and looks very decent too. DTS 5.1 decoder is inbuilt too. A very good HU in every perspective. I heard they sound really good too.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 19:19   #9
BHPian
 
929RON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: KS CITY
Posts: 114
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
The 7850 seems to be a kick A$$ HU. It supports almost all the formats and looks very decent too. DTS 5.1 decoder is inbuilt too. A very good HU in every perspective. I heard they sound really good too.
Have seen two installations by my friends till now in Bangalore, it ROCKS ! The Feature which allows it to read DivX format also is useful as most downloaded movies are DivX format nowadays, that way you can fit in about 7 Movies per DVD but at the cost of Sound and Slight Video Quality.
But it is suggested to buy Original DVDs for this Player which have DTS Enabled. That is where the real effect lies.
My friend has a DTS Sourround.9 DVD, MAN ! you have to hear/watch that Demo DVD to know the Head's capability. Feels like you in a movie theater for real.

Coming back to topic,

Now Sub 25k DVD Heads the best is probably by Alpine, the 9860.

Above 25k the best I feel is the Pioneer 7850/7800 DVD

Very good Value for Money with Bill and Warranty is the Jensen VM9511 , about Rs 43000. Very good Video Resolution, looks great for the price.

In a Nutshell, it has all you need in a DVD player, like support and control for iPod as the connector comes standard, SD card reader , touch screen menus, Dedicated reverse camera input, 5.1 Channel surround, blah blah .
929RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 22:49   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

a kenwood 8067 is also a good bet comes for nealry 60k it also has inbult decoder.....the screen is sharp and has good features....

low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 16:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

DVD HU starts frm 10k (JVC) and teh cheapest Pio 6850(?) HU costs 16k (grey). Speedzak has this installed in his car. I have seen the Sony HU mated to couple or speakers 3subs ( all JBL's; with JBL amps) on an Innova. It also had 5 LCDs. It looked fine.

The JVC DVD HU and PIo DVD HU has just ONE preamp out which makes it just basic HU for a good ICE package ( well for me).

emm, and those double din DVD HU... easy to break those screens if they are placed very low. Karthik247 had one and when a kid jumped seat...well..he had to dump it. ( think its teh same HU that LBM posted)

oh. while you are at it discussing abt DVD HU,do comment abt Region settings too.

Last edited by jkdas : 26th August 2006 at 16:47.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 00:59   #12
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

It's not 6850! It's 5850 I have. And not the DEH5850 which is a cd HU, but DVH5850! This is a very basic DVD HU. It cannot even play audio in dvds recorded with DTS5.1 alone. But nevertheless does a decent job of a basic dvd player. Mine is only a temp HU until I gather some moolah for a 7850! That's my dream unit for the time being.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 17:27   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Report on Performance

@ Speedzak , the sony Mex-R1 has difficulty playing the cheap dvds (the pirated ones, that is). how is the pioneer coming along?

cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 17:39   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 223
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Has anyone reviewed Alpine 9965?..... Its kind of my dream HU.... anyone owns it here?....

regards,
ant.
anToNIcHeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 07:03   #15
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
@ Speedzak , the sony Mex-R1 has difficulty playing the cheap dvds (the pirated ones, that is). how is the pioneer coming along?

cheers
No probs till date bro! It's a pro in playing DVDs of all types!
I mean PRO! she can suck the juice out of any DVD you pop in!

Last edited by speedzak : 1st September 2006 at 07:05.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie needs Guru's directions in selecting DVD + USB Head Unit :) touringmaniac In-Car Entertainment 29 5th November 2008 10:29
DVD head unit sun In-Car Entertainment 12 15th February 2007 21:18
Need a DVD head-unit Sahil In-Car Entertainment 1 24th June 2005 13:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks