Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th August 2006, 00:55   #1

First of all, let me thank team-bhp users for providing wealth of information here on indian cars. After reading this forum and considering some practical features, I bought Getz last month.

I've also been searching this forum to get an idea of car audio setups and options. What an experience and stunned by the professional answers and suggestions.

I've a question regarding my simple car audio setup:

For the headunit,
I've shortlisted the recently launched Kenwood KDC MP5033U in India. Specs - Power: 22 W X 4, Speaker Impedance: 4-8 Ohms.

For now, I would like to make it simple with no amp & sub- woofer and just have front components & rear coaxial speakers on doors (as suggested by many here). All power specified in RMS below.
Front - JBL Component GTO607. Specs - Power: 50 W (Tweeter) 70 W (2-way component), Impedance: 2 Ohms (Tweeter) 2 Ohms (2-way component).

Rear - JBL Coaxial CS2165. Specs - Power: 40 W, Impedance: 4 Ohms.

My question is whether the lower power of HU amp can drive the high power and produce good sound quality? Is any external amp necessary in the above setup? I read in Crutchfield that it is advisable to overpower rather than underpower the speakers.

Also, is it required to match the impedance of HU with speaker?

The reason for not going for amp & sub-woofer is primarily not to lose boot space and to avoid modifications.

Appreciate your patience in reading this and any inputs will be valuable.

Thanks,
Hitra.
hitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 12:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

the above setup will work fine till a certain volume. after the sound will start distorting and then the whole sound scene falls apart. if u listen to low volume and dont play it hard then this is best combination which will satify your need.
but if u add a amp to it no sub only amp the overall sound will change it will be more cleaner at higher volumes and even at low volumes also. to add a amp to the above setup no mods will be done to the car only 4 screw will be add to fix the amp to a secure position ......

If budget is not a constrain here u can add a amp which will help to improve the sound of the ice quite alot more......

one more thing normally the hu are 4 ohms stable a 2 ohms speaker would might damage the hu or the speaker if played at high volume ........
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 13:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
one more thing normally the hu are 4 ohms stable a 2 ohms speaker would might damage the hu or the speaker if played at high volume ........
Ummm, the CS2165 is 4 ohms. The GTO607C package is 3 ohms. (from the crossover input)

You are ok dude, enjoy your music. When you have more money buy an amplifier. cheers.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 14:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitra
First of all, let me thank team-bhp users for providing wealth of information here on indian cars. After reading this forum and considering some practical features, I bought Getz last month.
Congrats, its a great car.

Quote:
For the headunit,
I've shortlisted the recently launched Kenwood KDC MP5033U in India. Specs - Power: 22 W X 4, Speaker Impedance: 4-8 Ohms.
Good choice again. Look up the Getz Install Help thread on how to install it properly.

Quote:
For now, I would like to make it simple with no amp & sub- woofer and just have front components & rear coaxial speakers on doors (as suggested by many here).
Will work well. As already mentioned, get an amp. You wont have to modify anything in your car.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 00:58   #5

Thanks a lot for your inputs.
Old 27th August 2006, 01:23   #6
BANNED

Many thinks an amp is needed if you want a Sub. And Sub is given importance than the amp.
I'll rather choose a nice amp first. An amp can seriously improve the sound quality. So get a nice 4channel amp (alpine, audison, jbl, blau etc..) to power your components and co-axials.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 23:42   #7

The HU KDC-MP5033U has got two sets of Preamp Outputs (2V each) and no Sub Preamp Outputs. If I plan to add a Subwoofer, is it possible since the HU does not have a dedicated Sub Preamp Output? Where does the crossovers occur - HU or Amp?

I heard there are 6 1/2" subwoofers available in the market. Does it fit on Getz rear doors? If it does fit, having two subwoofers in the doors enhance the bass? Is this setup possible with just two sets of Preamp Outputs?

If this is possible, I can go for 6 1/2" subwoofers on the rear doors instead of coaxials. Is it possible to get some decent bass out of it?

Thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by F50 : 28th August 2006 at 23:50.
Old 28th August 2006, 23:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The HU KDC-MP5033U has got two sets of Preamp Outputs (2V each) and no Sub Preamp Outputs. If I plan to add a Subwoofer, is it possible since the HU does not have a dedicated Sub Preamp Output? Where does the crossovers occur - HU or Amp?

I heard there are 6 1/2" subwoofers available in the market. Does it fit on Getz rear doors? If it does fit, having two subwoofers in the doors enhance the bass? Is this setup possible with just two sets of Preamp Outputs?

If this is possible, I can go for 6 1/2" subwoofers on the rear doors instead of coaxials. Is it possible to get some decent bass out of it?

Thanks for your inputs.
Hi!
Yes you can, the crossover occurs at the amplifier.
I do not think there are 6.5" subwoofers. And you cannot expect a subwoofer to give you any decent bass in the door.
Cheers
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 01:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard there are 6 1/2" subwoofers available in the market.
We used to have a 6.5" subwoofer in Hertz but it was discontinued recently... as seen here...

Old 29th August 2006, 09:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Gunbir what on earth would the owner do ni the rains?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 10:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Gunbir what on earth would the owner do ni the rains?
nice doubt
and hows it fed?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 10:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
nice doubt and hows it fed?
Hehe Mumbaikars tend to rain-analyse everything, and I dont blame you. I had some pics where they had a fiberglass cover for that. Let me dig em up.

JK, see the footrest, do you catch a glimse of an SRx amp installed there...
Old 29th August 2006, 11:27   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hehe Mumbaikars tend to rain-analyse everything, and I dont blame you....
I spent 16 hours stuck in my car waist deep in water on 26-7-2005.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 11:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Matching HU amp power with Speaker power?

Reviving this thread.

I plan to do a speaker upgrade on my Linea. The stock speaker specifications are 20watt@4ohms. Unfortunately, no sensitivity values are given on the speakers. Sensitivity is super important and will decide how hard the amplifier needs to work to wake up the speakers.

I plan to put in the following and would like some clarity on the same. My understanding of impedance suggest that my head unit should be alright. I play loud once in a while but never at ear splitting level.

Blaupunkt CX160 3ohms 92db 62watt nominal power
Blaupunkt Gtx663de 4ohms 93db 50watt nominal power
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 12:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Matching HU amp power with Speaker power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
... Linea. The stock speaker specifications are 20watt@4ohms. Unfortunately, no sensitivity values are given on the speakers. ...
Technical data on OE components? Yes they are available, you only have to ask the manufacturer of the OE stuff. Since almost no one (other than the car manufacturer's audio guys) needs that info, they are not published

Quote:
... Sensitivity is super important and will decide how hard the amplifier needs to work to wake up the speakers. ...
Sensitivity simply means how loud will the speaker sound when fed with some electrical power. No, it is not 'super important' - most people do just fine without knowing it. That is because you can't do much - would you not buy the car if the speakers were not sensitive? One just cranks up the volume a bit if it is not loud enough.

Quote:
... I play loud once in a while but never at ear splitting level. ...
They will do just fine without analysing impedance and sensitivity. You should be more worried about the power level (electrical) at which the amp driving them starts distorting. The amp, especially an HU-internal amp, is more likely to nastily distort at high output levels than the speakers.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote