Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th October 2015, 11:09   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: ICE'ing up my Hyundai Verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks Navin. Will try that location.

Also do you have any idea about the Audio Frog Comps ? It's made by the same guy you spoke to , Mr. Andy. Prices are too expensive for me to afford , so I'm still in 2 minds about it.
I have not heard them so I cant comment. Friend or foe, for me it is sound that matters.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 21:16   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have not heard them so I cant comment. Friend or foe, for me it is sound that matters.
Alright , audio Frog is too expensive , so not going for it.

Since I am now way over my initial budget by a huge margin I just thought of going all the way and seeing it through. Planning to take my ride from Kanyakumari to Bangalore for the install and tuning.

I still have issues in selecting the speakers though.

The following are the options planned, please tell me what setup would be best for my kind of music which will be mostly pop , rap , club music , techno and some Tamil songs.

1. Focal PS 165 FX flax series for front components + Use the Focal 165 AS components for the rear.

2. Rainbow SL C6.2 for front components + Rainbow DL C6.2 components for the rear + sell my Focal 165 AS.

3. Rainbow SL C6.2 for both front and rear + sell my focal 165 AS

4. Morel Tempo Ultra 602 components for front and rear + dealer willing to take back my Focal 165 AS for same purchase price.

5. Thinking of going 3 way in the fronts with a decent midrange and midbass too. , budget 30-35K.

I'm more confused between option 1 & 2 , but dealer has only items in setup 2 , 3 and 4 which I can audition in Bangalore , so I can not audition the Focal Flax series which I'm more inclined to purchase.

Would appreciate anyone's feedback with the above setups.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 09:00   #78
BHPian

I am not sure how did you choose an audio chain without listening to it. I would suggest listen to it first then make a combo list. In general Rainbow will be slightly laid back sound compared to the Focal Flax, slightly dependent on the amp you are going to pair it with. Also a component speaker for the rear will be a mess to tune and can ruin the whole setup.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 16th October 2015 at 09:03.
::CMS:: is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 11:10   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I am not sure how did you choose an audio chain without listening to it.
I agree. I had a rather terrible experience buying a pair of "high end" speakers without listening to it and just relying on impressions from my friends. How disappointed I was. Since you are spending a mega amount, listen to them once before deciding.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 11:35   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm more confused between option 1 & 2 , but dealer has only items in setup 2 , 3 and 4 which I can audition in Bangalore , so I can not audition the Focal Flax series which I'm more inclined to purchase.
Sir, I think we went through this. You need to hear the stuff. See post 17. Till Sept 28-29 you were thinking of a simple system upgrade and then in the first week of Oct you upped the ante with the Mosconi amp.

It's ok to buy good equipment but at this level all the components are good (they better be) they just cater to different tastes.

Quote:
I am not sure how did you choose an audio chain without listening to it.
I have said this before too CMS. Some of us have very different tastes. Some old folk like me like the sound "laid back" while others prefer it bright and "disco like".
navin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 22:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure how did you choose an audio chain without listening to it. I would suggest listen to it first then make a combo list. In general Rainbow will be slightly laid back sound compared to the Focal Flax, slightly dependent on the amp you are going to pair it with. Also a component speaker for the rear will be a mess to tune and can ruin the whole setup.
Quote:
You need to hear the stuff.

Some of us have very different tastes. Some old folk like me like the sound "laid back" while others prefer it bright and "disco like".
Like I said earlier. Not everyone has the luxury of auditioning these high end speakers in their natives. I need to drive 750 Km's to audition these. All I listened to were from youtube videos , not a good idea but what other option do I have ?

What the dealer told me was that the Rainbow were neutral speakers , hence they can be made bright or laid back as needed. Morel's are laid back but can be made dynamic or bright. Flux are just laid back.

Focals on the other hand are just bright and can not be made laid back or neutral. Also my Kenwood HU is dynamic or bright , which would make Focal really bright. This is what he told me and that's what I wanted to confirm from you guy's too

When I go to Bangalore the dealer has given me the option to audition all the speakers mentioned except Focal. Will try asking him if he can source the Focal FX too just so that I know if that is what I like or not.

So I do have the auditioning option but only during the installation time in Bangalore, so I need to make a quick and wise decision that time. I also need to arrange the cash for it , so I thought of crossing out speakers which won't be to my taste so that makes my financing easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I agree. I had a rather terrible experience buying a pair of "high end" speakers without listening to it and just relying on impressions from my friends. How disappointed I was. Since you are spending a mega amount, listen to them once before deciding.
Yes I do have the option of auditioning during the installation time.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 16th October 2015 at 22:50. Reason: added HU info
Old 17th October 2015, 12:41   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Like I said earlier. Not everyone has the luxury of auditioning these high end speakers in their natives. I need to drive 750 Km's to audition these. All I listened to were from youtube videos , not a good idea but what other option do I have ?

What the dealer told me was that the Rainbow were neutral speakers , hence they can be made bright or laid back as needed. Morel's are laid back but can be made dynamic or bright. Flux are just laid back.

Focals on the other hand are just bright and can not be made laid back or neutral. Also my Kenwood HU is dynamic or bright , which would make Focal really bright. This is what he told me and that's what I wanted to confirm from you guy's too

When I go to Bangalore the dealer has given me the option to audition all the speakers mentioned except Focal. Will try asking him if he can source the Focal FX too just so that I know if that is what I like or not.

So I do have the auditioning option but only during the installation time in Bangalore, so I need to make a quick and wise decision that time. I also need to arrange the cash for it , so I thought of crossing out speakers which won't be to my taste so that makes my financing easier.

Yes I do have the option of auditioning during the installation time.
A silly question what if you don't like

Last edited by soumen.blore : 17th October 2015 at 12:42. Reason: Extra information
soumen.blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 15:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
A silly question what if you don't like
Lol. In this range of speakers it is quite unlikely. I'm sure I will like something.

The only problem is it's difficult to guess, since we are installing it in a car where the car's environment and different components have different effects on the speakers.

Due to budget constraints and my extended reviews , I'm thinking it will come down to the Focal Flax and Rainbows Sound Lines. I want to audition the Flax series and since the dealer might not have it , I would appreciate if any owners in Trivandrum or Kanyakumari area have the Flax series speakers for auditioning.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 17th October 2015 at 15:01. Reason: grammatical mistake
Old 19th October 2015, 11:07   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I go to Bangalore the dealer has given me the option to audition all the speakers mentioned except Focal..
I would choose from the options that you are/were able to audition.

Quote:
Due to budget constraints and my extended reviews , I'm thinking it will come down to the Focal Flax and Rainbows Sound Lines.
I think you will like the Sound Lines enough to go with them.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 07:21   #85
BHPian

Quote:

Really interesting to see these kind of unheard theories with the help of some "audio" related terms. The dealer is talking nonsense. The Thiel params or the other inherent characteristics of a speaker cannot be changed on the fly.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 22nd October 2015 at 07:42.
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 09:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really interesting to see these kind of unheard theories with the help of some "audio" related terms. The dealer is talking nonsense. The Thiel params or the other inherent characteristics of a speaker cannot be changed on the fly.
There is an option to EQ right from the source ? Won't tuning this affect the signature of the speaker ?
Old 26th October 2015, 15:54   #87
BHPian

It wont change the basic sound signature of a speaker. Moreover, may be its only me, I dont like the signal to be manipulated in between.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 26th October 2015 at 15:56.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 16:47   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dealer is talking nonsense. The Thiel params or the other inherent characteristics of a speaker cannot be changed on the fly.
Quote:
It wont change the basic sound signature of a speaker. Moreover, may be its only me, I dont like the signal to be manipulated in between.
I believe the dealer is referring to a HF control many speakers have. Some have a -3db/0/+3db options, others have 0/-3db etc.. usually this is an L-Pad on the tweeter.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:14   #89
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the dealer is referring to a HF control many speakers have. Some have a -3db/0/+3db options, others have 0/-3db etc.. usually this is an L-Pad on the tweeter.
Even if the dealer is talking about the xover options, it wont make any big difference to make a bright to laid back speaker, right? Also if the xover is designed to cutoff at very high, this is not at all going to change anything as the mids are handling a lot of freqs

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 27th October 2015 at 14:16.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 15:00   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even if the dealer is talking about the xover options, it wont make any big difference to make a bright to laid back speaker, right?
Usually these are Lpads for the HF driver (somewhere in the 4k+ range). It might not change the aggressiveness of a midrange but will roll of the highs and offer some respite.