Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th March 2008, 09:36   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
So you are still on the mission. Hoping to see you guys in the flesh with or without the safari. Meet fellow BHPians to understand more about what they talk.
cheers
I am very keen to meet you all people. Sadly missed the Mahabs meet.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 11:01   #62
BHPian

Default Car Jewels in Mahalingapuram

@missing_safari, The car jewel guys neat mahalingapuram (on the way to ayyapan temple) does a neat job in putting up the ICE, they also have a good demo setup for the various options also.

I also heard that technocrats does the most of the installations for Alpine systems, maybe you can check them as well.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 11:50   #63
BHPian

Default Noooo - misunderstood! Friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
If we, do it the other way around, the installer does his job and id the effect is not what we desire, we blame him. Are we right in that? Who is more qualified in that..us guys who have a fair knowledge of the ICE stuff or the person who does that as a livelihood and wants to earn his name!
Headers is partially right here, and partially mis understood!

1. Choice of Equipment - for the well-informed buyer - is his choice.
Contrary - for the less-informed buyer - the Installer has to co-operate to do justice! to his taste and budget! - agreed?

2. Installer does a job - please note this point - JOB = knowing how to tune as well, knowing how to install without lossy signals, knowing where to lay the power cable, what tools to use, knowing where to drill, where to grind, what type of wiring to do, wat type of power cable to suggest! etc etc - and the list goes on!

3. Doing a con job is not what we want - thats all. lets join hands and define the best installers in chennai, and also define who can do what, who knows what!? Simple!

4. Not everyone can be every one! So there will be some +/- with each one, lets pin point that, and bring out the best available.

5. We all know we love our mechanic and our Installer, we have that affinity towards them, but lets throw that away for a while, and write the best and worst part about our Installer here, lets analyze it all.

I like to quote what esteem_lover said here:

"A neat install is the key here, which is what i have found wanting here in chennai not the choice of equipment. Hope i have not bored anyone. "

Exactly what I would like to identify yet!
The Key is How Job is done with respecting the customer!
Not all, but Many have the tendency to "Under Estimate" the spending capability of the customer, and treat relatively!

There are some, who treat the Rs.1000 Equipment buyer and the 1.5L buyer the same - this is what we need.

What is a neat Install:

1. A neat understanding of poles.
2. Install every car with it's own merit!
3. Understand Sound Staging, and do the needful. Suggest best options in the available space of the car!
4. Crimp, Harness every place possible, and not be barbaric about sleeving or cutting wires.
5. Suggest, usage of Quality wires, if not wanted by customer, let it loose, and go ahead with install with same enthusiasm.
6. Know where to lay wires, in case of Amp installs seperate the Power cables from Signal cables - etc.

the list goes on...

May be we need to first define these, you are all most welcome to add below to these points so as to make one long list for our knowledge. Then we can keep it as a reckoner to check list!

Looking forward to meet all you fellows, and have a great chat to find the best Installers in chennai and bring them to light!

Enough of Mumbai and Bangy and NewDelhi running! I guess we should not run to west everytime, waste of time and fuel boys! Work hard, sit and spend some time with installers and get to know them better, on wht they think and how they work - only seeing can tell if they work well. A talketive guy need not be a good work horse!

Cheers,
MS
MillionSwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 11:54   #64
BHPian

Thumbs down Hi-Tech Car jewels /= Technokrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
- i dont think the two are connected. Hi-Tech audio jewels in mahalingapuram is a different entitity. (IIRC) technokrats is just next to the temple towards the kodambakkam bridge.
Some idiot told me so, It's my mistake then.
I will have to see technokrats now. Will surely go there, have a look and then let you all know on what i think.

Hi-Tech Car Jewels - has a Balu, who claims to be V.Balu - refered to as VB it seems.

So V.Balu is not technokrats?

Guys who know verify please!
Old 26th March 2008, 14:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
@missing_safari, The car jewel guys neat mahalingapuram (on the way to ayyapan temple) does a neat job in putting up the ICE, they also have a good demo setup for the various options also.

I also heard that technocrats does the most of the installations for Alpine systems, maybe you can check them as well.

Thanks for the info. I am not missing_safari but mission_safari. First i wish i could get one let alone missing it.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 14:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I am not missing_safari but mission_safari. First i wish i could get one let alone missing it.
LOL . Good one. get one soon and dont miss it
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 15:00   #67
BHPian

Default Please List them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
No sir, what i said was - " There are Great Installers in Chennai" PERIOD.
Buddy,

I agree there are!
We need to L I S T them, and let some of our TBHPians get installs done from them, and come here and post the pictures and let others listen to them. This is what has happened with Bangalore and Mumbai and Delhi, the best of men have been listed, or they have had the oppurtunity and chance to get online and get to know TBHP -thats all.
Old 26th March 2008, 15:18   #68
BHPian

Thumbs up Technocrats - Thumbs Up!

So far so good.
I met up with Bala - this Bala is different from the Hi-Tech car Jewels Bala.
Bala is a fair, tall guy with long hair, and knows his Audio well. He has been working with the likes of H.Sridhar [A.R.R's Sound Engineer] by far one of the most well renouned Sound Engineer's of India.

And he has a wide knowledge of car audio[ICE] and is to be trusted with a neat install, well equipped and well organized team. I happened to watch one of the installs in a Corolla today, and it was pretty decent in par with installs from Bombay and way better than installs from Bangalore[blueRaven] that i have watched.

They use proper wiring etc, etc and I did not find any complaints with the way they worked, could be better with the attitude [trademark Chennai Attitude]!

And about the brands, I do not know how they source it, but all the high end stuff are available like Morel, Focal, DLS etc etc - One has to compare prices before they jump in to buy from here!

One disappointment yet would be, he was not in a position to atleast entertain me for an audition of some installation. Though he promised to call me when there is a High-End Compos install [Focal or so], and let us wait for that time. [lets be happy atleast he was willing to, and none others even entertained the idea of listening to an install inside a car!!]

I have attached a photo of the place so that no one else would mistake Hi-Tech Car Jewels for Technokrat!

I would rate Technokrat at a 7/10 till I see them work with my car or a friend's car yet!
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2008, 15:23   #69
BHPian

@MS: do the technokrats stock illusion components??
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 15:27   #70
BHPian

Default I did not ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
@MS: do the technokrats stock illusion components??
Sorry praveen, I did not ask him about Illusions at all. Better PM B&T and ask him to courier it to you! you wont have any trouble, you get the package in good condition!
Old 26th March 2008, 19:11   #71
BHPian

Hi-Tech and Technokrat are not the same !! Hi-tech is much more hopeless than Technokrat. But people get their installs done there anyways.

@MS: When were you at technokrat ?
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 17:35   #72
pt7
BHPian

Default Tecnokrat @ new location

I just visited Tecnokrat yesterday and they have moved to a new location - the website provides the new address.

(its on nelson manickam road - where it meets PH Road. You have to take a U turn on Nelson Manickam road from the T junction with PH Road. 100 mtrs on yr left is tecnokrat - there is a petrol bunk opp to that - just in case you miss it)

My impression of this guy - Bala - is that he is fairly professional and knows the stuff...Has got a decent clientel also going for him - i saw swift, safari, accord and a Cayenne (Mee too)

I got to hear Swift's install - though a bit jazzy with 2 SW and full JL Audio setup - the sound quality though remarcable was good considering the fact that it was meant to be LOUD also!!!

He has promised to me that he will help me select the right stuff for me - and will call me when he can demo an ALPINE and PIO comparison. Will update this thread once again when I get to do that.

He keeps lot of good brands, the ones he offered / said he keeps are: Alpine, Eclipse, JL Audio, DLS, Kicker etc stuff.
pt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Except for a HU+4 speaker install, Technokrat is expensive.
Install is good.But, the fellows who work there have a Fernando Alonso attitude.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 21:16   #74
pt7
BHPian

Default Tecnokrat

You are right but then again looking at Chennai market i think he earns right to be that way!!! I have been trying to chase other folks. GP Road / Burma Bazaar can not be trusted. Others I heard are mediocre. I have been trying to chase SoundWorks folks but who seems to be busier than Barack Obama - called up thrice to come meet and check out - but I guess they have got enough business to go - they always dillidally - come tomorrow - come in the evening!!!

Phew. Anyone other good folks that you know of in chennai?
pt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

No,pt7.
I recommend you stick to Technokrat.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote