Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2006, 11:58   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey Guys

I have been browsing this site since couple of days and it has indeed helped me to understand the nitty-gritties of ICE. Thanks a ton. Here is what I have finalised upon after reading this site and going through Vendors in Pune.

I must mention here that my budget is around 15K & my car is Swift VXi. I hear bit of almost everything so can't really limit to rock/ pop/ hindi/ classical or anything.

I would like to go for
- One of following Pioneer HU (3850/4850/5850).
[4840 Price: 5.6k grey & 8.0 box price]
- Pair of Pioneer coax speakers for front doors (160W)
[Around 1.5k]
- JBL 9*6 Speakers for the back tray (version being 936 or 937, not sure)
[Around 4.5 k, tray: Around 1k]

So I have questions considering my plan,
- which of the above mentioned HU should I got for, the main difference I can see in above HU are number of RCA preouts, any guidance over how will that affect me? Which HU one shall I go for?
I wont be using Ipod stuff for sure, display etc. is not much important either. I am mainly concerned with CD/MP3s/FM channels and voice quality.

- Pioneer speakers for front doors, is that a good option? or shall I go for JBLs for front door as well?
- JBL in back tray, is that a good plan? Some vendors suggested me to opt for wooden boxes .. is tray a bad option in swift? Also, what kind of tray shall I go for? Right now vendors have shown me Classique/ Pioneer trays.
- The above configuration is coming down to around 12k. I still have 3k left in my kitty, where do you think I can put it in, if possible?

Sorry for lengthy post, I have tried to detail out all that I want so that you guys can help me.

Thanks for yor time!
purplehaze is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 12:51   #2
BHPian
 
willy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

You have made a good choice I can say. Go for JBL for the front doors as well. JBL GTO937 should be fine for the rear. You can stretch little more than 15k and go for Pioneer 6850 HU. It has more features like 7 Band Graphic EQ's. The sound quality Is great. And you have Ipod ready in it. I have not checkd that because I don't have an Ipod player with me. It has a jack option just belore the Face plate. More comments by our guru's...

Last edited by willy : 18th September 2006 at 12:53.
willy is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 13:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

purple, welcome to TBHP

check these thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...k-25k-30k.html (basic ICE - systems at various budgets -10K, 15K, 20K, 25K & 30K)

and do a Search here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/

and like willy said, 6850 is a good HU as it has 3 preamp outs which would be good if you wanna add amps, sub etc in future. Why a 3 preamp out? Check the first link

Last edited by jkdas : 18th September 2006 at 13:01.
jkdas is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 13:04   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Purplehaze (there used to be a club in Bombay by that name, any inspiration there?),

At your budget, if you want to maximise the results, save on the HU, don't get the expensive one. Get the one with the single pre-out.

Here is a setup I suggest:

Head Unit: Pioneer 3850 - 6k? (Not sure)
JBL front+ rear 6.5" coaxes - 3k each, 6k for two.
Pioneer 12" sub - 2.5k
Sony 2-channel amp - 3k
Cables - 1k
Enclosure - 800
Installation - 1k

Total - about 20k.

If you absolutely don't want the sub, get 6x9s for the rea, and your total should be about 15k
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 14:09   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks guys.

jkdas,
I checked the link you gave, it does tells that 3 RCA preamp out is good for future expansion, but doesn't tell why is that? I can't achieve the same through 1 or 2 preamp outs? Looking at the Bass&Trouble's reply, I can see that I can get amp and subs using 1 RCA preouts itself. So what will the other two preamp would be used for? Sorry if I am sounding too dumb. I would be glad to see a link if this is already explained earlier. I couldn't find anything through search.

Another stupid question, what is MDF deck? Is it same as parcel tray?
purplehaze is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 14:12   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

and Bass&Trouble, just like mumbai's club (& one in Banglore as well), my nick too is inspired by one of Jimmy Hendrix' song "Purple Haze"
purplehaze is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 14:23   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze
Thanks guys.

jkdas,
I checked the link you gave, it does tells that 3 RCA preamp out is good for future expansion, but doesn't tell why is that? I can't achieve the same through 1 or 2 preamp outs? Looking at the Bass&Trouble's reply, I can see that I can get amp and subs using 1 RCA preouts itself. So what will the other two preamp would be used for? Sorry if I am sounding too dumb. I would be glad to see a link if this is already explained earlier. I couldn't find anything through search.

Another stupid question, what is MDF deck? Is it same as parcel tray?
3 RCA pre-amp output is good for future upgrade if you are to use seperate power amplifier to drive the speakers also. Considering your current budget, that would eat up some part.

He is referring to parcel tray as MDF deck, emphasizing that it be built of MDF rather than low density fiber board or plywood.
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 14:30   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks for your prompt reply. So if spec says :
3 RCA preouts: selectable (front+rear+subwoofer / front+rear+non-fading)

How will I read this? 1 RCA each for front & rear speakers, and 3rd RCA for subwoofer(or non-fading)?

P.S. Here I presume "RCA preouts" & "RCA pre-amp" are same thing.

Thanks again.
purplehaze is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 14:47   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze
Thanks for your prompt reply. So if spec says :
3 RCA preouts: selectable (front+rear+subwoofer / front+rear+non-fading)

How will I read this? 1 RCA each for front & rear speakers, and 3rd RCA for subwoofer(or non-fading)?
That's right, 1 pair each for front and rear, and the third, i.e. the non-fading pre-out can be used if the application is not for subwoofer, or if you choose to use subwoofer controls externally. Otherwise it should be configured for subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze
P.S. Here I presume "RCA preouts" & "RCA pre-amp" are same thing.
Where did you read 'RCA Pre-amp'. I suppose you mean "RCA pre-outs" and "Pre-amp outs" which are the same in this context.
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 14:52   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 223
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze
Thanks for your prompt reply. So if spec says :
3 RCA preouts: selectable (front+rear+subwoofer / front+rear+non-fading)

How will I read this? 1 RCA each for front & rear speakers, and 3rd RCA for subwoofer(or non-fading)?

P.S. Here I presume "RCA preouts" & "RCA pre-amp" are same thing.

Thanks again.
RCA Preouts & RCA pre-amp means one and the same....

3RCA Preouts: selectable means, in the first option (front + rear + subwoofer), you can control the volume of the subwoofer thru the fader control and the other option, you cannot.. (means to say that, fader control will not have any effect on the Sub volume)... + like you have correctly intrepreted, 1 pair of RCA Preouts for each front and rear channels.

regards,
ant.
anToNIcHeN is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 15:11   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks guys, Great help! Time to knock back vendor's door.
purplehaze is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 15:16   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN
RCA Preouts & RCA pre-amp means one and the same....

3RCA Preouts: selectable means, in the first option (front + rear + subwoofer), you can control the volume of the subwoofer thru the fader control and the other option, you cannot.. (means to say that, fader control will not have any effect on the Sub volume)... + like you have correctly intrepreted, 1 pair of RCA Preouts for each front and rear channels.

regards,
ant.
In non-fad output also you can control the level of the output. But, you won't have subwoofer exclusive features like cut-off frequency, phase etc.
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 15:26   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 223
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
In non-fad output also you can control the level of the output. But, you won't have subwoofer exclusive features like cut-off frequency, phase etc.
B&T, i own a 5750 HU. In my initial set up, I just had one 4 channel amp, (2 channels bridged, 2 channel connected to rear and front speakers!). In this set up, I couldnt fade between front and rear speakers, but rear fader was fading my sub. later on I added a monoblock. Now I can fade between front and rear channels and Sub volume stays put... (like you said, there is a sub volume control, but that is different from fader...)...

and in BOTH CASES, i can have cut-off frequecies, phase shift etc.

Did I miss anything here?... I thot non-fading output meant only that, you cannot use ur fader control to adjust its volume....!!

regards,
ant.
anToNIcHeN is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 17:08   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN
B&T, i own a 5750 HU. In my initial set up, I just had one 4 channel amp, (2 channels bridged, 2 channel connected to rear and front speakers!). In this set up, I couldnt fade between front and rear speakers, but rear fader was fading my sub. later on I added a monoblock. Now I can fade between front and rear channels and Sub volume stays put... (like you said, there is a sub volume control, but that is different from fader...)...

and in BOTH CASES, i can have cut-off frequecies, phase shift etc.

Did I miss anything here?... I thot non-fading output meant only that, you cannot use ur fader control to adjust its volume....!!

regards,
ant.
what you are saying is that you have been using 2 channels to power 4 speakers. what can you fade here. there are only 2 channels. i think the installer messed it up here. naturally your sub was fading away to glory everytime you used the fader.

Quote:
Sub volume stays put...

does that mean you cant vary it ? dont you have a sub control in your HU ?

just my unrefined answers to you. you will get more refined answers coming your way, so if you'll excuse me, i have to disappear now. cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 18th September 2006 at 17:11.
esteem_lover is offline  
Old 18th September 2006, 17:27   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 223
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
what you are saying is that you have been using 2 channels to power 4 speakers. what can you fade here. there are only 2 channels. i think the installer messed it up here. naturally your sub was fading away to glory everytime you used the fader.
There is a setting in the 5750, where subwoofer output (preamp) can be used as rear channel output... in this setting you can have the fader control for the sub.... this is basically to cut down the overall cost....

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover

does that mean you cant vary it ? dont you have a sub control in your HU ?
obviously you didnt read the post carefully... i said, "there is a subvolume control, but that is different from fader control"...
just to make myself clear.... what i meant by "Sub volume stays put" is that when i do a fader on my front and rear channels, the sub volume is unaffected....
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
just my unrefined answers to you. you will get more refined answers coming your way, so if you'll excuse me, i have to disappear now. cheers
anToNIcHeN is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q! Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 13577 11th December 2017 18:05
Pioneer exits from Home Audio-Video & DJ Business. To focus on Car Audio iVento Gadgets, Computers & Software 2 23rd September 2014 12:52
Audio in TV less costlier than car audio? LNG In-Car Entertainment 4 2nd August 2010 12:11
Need Help in selecting Audio for Swift RobertClive In-Car Entertainment 141 19th February 2008 11:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks