Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 15:05   #31
BHPian
 
libre sito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mumbai/Brooklyn/New Jersey
Posts: 148
Thanked: Once
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
Finally took the plunge and bought AVIC-F80BT. Currently its being installed.
Front initial impression, It seems good HU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
Here are the couple of photos I took from my phone.

I have not changed speaker as of now. Toyota stock speakers are OK, nothing great but not bad either.
Congrats on the purchase. The head unit does look gorgeous. Do post your usage review on how the system performs. Also do let us know if you can get traffic updates on this unit while using navigation ?
libre sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 15:06   #32
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Folks

Does anybody have an image or link to an image of the Crysta head unit back plane?

What to know what outputs are there & specifically, if there any RCA outs.

I am looking at the VX back panel but I dont think there will be too much difference in the various HUs.
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 23:55   #33
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04 & HR26
Posts: 91
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Hello Sridhu,

I noticed in the Official Toyota Innova Crysta Review thread that you got your Innova Crysta? how is she treating you sir? did you finally decide on the ICE? how good are the stock speakers & sound quality?

Hoping for your inputs soon. Thanks! Congrats once again!

drive_angry
drive_angry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 05:44   #34
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hello Sridhu,

I noticed in the Official Toyota Innova Crysta Review thread that you got your Innova Crysta? how is she treating you sir? did you finally decide on the ICE? how good are the stock speakers & sound quality?

Hoping for your inputs soon. Thanks! Congrats once again!

drive_angry
Thank you, drive_angry.

The Car
She has been nice but back in the shop. Was pulling to the left when I took delivery; sent it back in and now she is pulling to the right!

Head Unit - Features
Sound quality wise, the stock speakers are not awful. It is not like you go "Yuck!" and change it immediately. The sound is flatish but perfectly usable.
However, planning to install the amp, components & sub sometime next week.

The head unit is quite nice, features wise. iPod integration is decent.
When a song is playing, it shows the name, the album but not the time bar.

Would have been cool if the aux/usb port on the centre console had been countersunk so that the rubber boot is flush when a low profile thumb drive is put in. (Not a big deal; just my OCD!)

I have not yet received messages while driving so cant comment on that.

I was looking at the Mirror Link support but have not figured out how to activate it. ( I have a Moto X Style)

Cant comment on the back plane.

The manual, as car owner manuals go, is decent. But not very helpful from a "how do I do this ..." perspective.


Head Unit - Likes
The ability to split the screen 3 ways is very cool. I have the song info as the major display along with trip info & phone info. Think that given the paucity of info on the song panel, might make sense to switch to the trip info as the main panel.

I really like it that the the HU shows average fuel consumption after reset & the MID shows FE after start. (I dont know if it is a bug or a feature. I did not set it up like that!)

Love the idea that you can change the screen off & start up images.

You can also switch off the HU display while playing the song. However this feature takes 2-3 key presses. Should have been one-touch. They have a power button - they could have used a press for screen off & a long press for power off.

The HU also has the ability to display images from the USB in a slide mode. Dont know if this can be done when a song is playing. Dont know if it can be done when the car is moving (I doubt it).

Head Unit - dislikes
What I find very weird is that the UI is a mixture of touch & wheel control for almost all functions. There is no underlying UI philosophy (like Nikon's Button+Wheel for most functions).
For example, you can see your call list from the wheel (phone button) but to call anything other than the first number, you have to take your hand off the wheel (and your eyes off the road) and touch the number you want. Similar quirks exist for all modes. When you play the iPod, you cant move from Songs to Playlist without looking away from the road & touching. Toyota has dedicated the RHS wheel controller to the MID & the LHS controllers to 'the Head Unit'. Seem to have painted themselves into a corner with that decision.

It is a fingerprint magnet (I now keep a microfibre cloth in the glove box).

Cant play movies off the usb or iPod.

Mute is a long press. More importantly, it is a pause (a good thing).

The remote is extremely frustrating - most buttons dont work if you are not in DVD mode (like stop, FF/RR etc). Best to throw it out and save your heart!

DVD playback seems spotty - played pirated DVDs fine. Not an original one! May have been better to lose the CD slot with all its attendant mechanical components & given the ability to play movies off the USB.


Any recommendations on a good installer in Bangalore? Preferably around Koramangala/ HSR. Any opinion on Auto Planet opposite Koramangala BDA complex?

Last edited by sridhu : 20th July 2016 at 05:48.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 22:31   #35
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04 & HR26
Posts: 91
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Thank you, drive_angry.

The Car
She has been nice but back in the shop. Was pulling to the left when I took delivery; sent it back in and now she is pulling to the right!

Head Unit - Features
Sound quality wise, the stock speakers are not awful. It is not like you go "Yuck!" and change it immediately. The sound is flatish but perfectly usable.
However, planning to install the amp, components & sub sometime next week.

Cant comment on the back plane.

Any recommendations on a good installer in Bangalore? Preferably around Koramangala/ HSR. Any opinion on Auto Planet opposite Koramangala BDA complex?
So sad to hear that the car is back in dealership maybe its about time someone starts the thread “Issues with Innova Crysta”. I was under the impression that you did your extensive PDI, didn’t you check this issue? I don’t think they let an individual drive a vehicle before its registered to them.

Thanks for your deep insight about the HU. The VX model that you have is already fitted with 7” Touch infotainment system. Did you change it? The reason I asked because you were asking about its specifications. Also, you were contemplating on the components, subs and amp, did you decide on any?

For rest of your ICE queries, I will let Navin & derALte (Gurus) answer them.
drive_angry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 05:05   #36
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
So sad to hear that the car is back in dealership maybe its about time someone starts the thread “Issues with Innova Crysta”. I was under the impression that you did your extensive PDI, didn’t you check this issue? I don’t think they let an individual drive a vehicle before its registered to them.
When I went for PDI, Toyota themselves had not done the PDI. So, they did not let me even start the car.

I drove the car around the block, literally, when we did the Puja delivery. THe pull is very mild. I was thinking I am 'finding it because I read about it'.So I told the SA to check the alignment - my big mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Thanks for your deep insight about the HU. The VX model that you have is already fitted with 7” Touch infotainment system. Did you change it? The reason I asked because you were asking about its specifications. Also, you were contemplating on the components, subs and amp, did you decide on any?

For rest of your ICE queries, I will let Navin & derALte (Gurus) answer them.
- I have not changed the HU. Dont plan to. Seems good enough. I am sure any other HU will have its own set of dislikes. I was contemplating buying the GX AT originally. That is when I asked about the HU etc.

- I am reusing the Amp (JBL), Components & Coaxial (Focal) from the Innova. Sub: I know 10" but have not decided on the brand. JBL?

Thanks for asking.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 06:10   #37
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Update:

Installed my old speaker/ amp combo from the Innova into the Crysta.

Added an MTX 10" (RT10AS) subwoofers & door dampening panels.

The set up sounds good!

A word of apology to GTO - the stock speakers are absolutely the cheapest possible that Toyota can get away with!

When I was leaving, I asked the installer where the OE speakers were as I could not see them. The installer had put the OE speakers in a bag. I had in fact lifted the bag and decided it does not have the speakers as it was too light.

All 4 speakers together weigh may be 1.5 kilos! Their construction is very crappy. (will try & post a picture later)

So, yes, please do budget on replacing the stock speakers in all variants.

The HU sound quality is very good but fine tuning the low/ mid/ high frequencies does not do anything (almost)! So, I compromised and left the settings at the mid point & changed the EQ on the iPod.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 07:29   #38
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

The promised pictures of the speakers, tweeters, backplane & the HU.


The really bad speakers. Look at those puny, light weight magnets (look closely; you will find them!)
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-speakers.jpg

Tweeters tweet. That is about all
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-tweeters.jpg

The HU. Made in India
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-hu-details.jpg

The backplane - I cannot make any use of this info! Seems to be all connector based. BTW, the HU is basically 1 DIN masquerading as as 2 DIN.
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-hu-backplane.jpg

Mods: sorry for the back-to-back posts. Could not get the pics on the computer within the edit window. Request you to kindly merge them

Last edited by sridhu : 28th July 2016 at 07:32.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 23:06   #39
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04 & HR26
Posts: 91
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
The promised pictures of the speakers, tweeters, backplane & the HU.

Really sad to see pathetic quality of speakers in 20L rupee car. I know usually stock speakers are of bare minimum quality but this is just ridiculous. I could hardly see any magnets behind the speakers. Car manufacturers in India can get away with anything now a days, it seems. I am definitely going to give a piece of my mind to Toyota regarding this.

As you've mentioned in your previous posts that you reusing the components/Amps from your old Innova. May I request you to please provide the details of the salvaged components (like the model number and dimensions) so that folks who are considering ICEing their Innovas (Like me) can have a pretty good Idea can plan accordingly.

Few more questions :
1. Can we have some pics how the amplifiers and woofers are mounted?
2. Did you sacrifice the boot for the installation?
3. MTX is an awesome woofer bit on base side, IMHO. Did you get your woofer enclosure ported out?
4. How are you driving your components, coax & woofer? I think in any scenario you would need two Amps. A brief overview of the circuitry please
5. Were there any wires cut? Toyota says as long as there is no cut the warranty will not be void. Thanks!


drive_angry
drive_angry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 08:08   #40
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
As you've mentioned in your previous posts that you reusing the components/Amps from your old Innova. May I request you to please provide the details of the salvaged components (like the model number and dimensions) so that folks who are considering ICEing their Innovas (Like me) can have a pretty good Idea can plan accordingly.
The speakers are 6.5" Focal R165 - components for the front & coax for the rear door.

The Amp was JVC but sorry, dont remember the #. It was 4 channel and fit under the front passenger seat

I had added door full fledged dampening for the front doors and used one sheet for both the rear doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Few more questions :
1. Can we have some pics how the amplifiers and woofers are mounted?
Amp is screwed into the mat under the front passenger seat.

Sub woofer is free standing in the boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
2. Did you sacrifice the boot for the installation?
It is removable easily. So dont know how to answer this question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
3. MTX is an awesome woofer bit on base side, IMHO. Did you get your woofer enclosure ported out?
No. It is a sealed enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
4. How are you driving your components, coax & woofer? I think in any scenario you would need two Amps. A brief overview of the circuitry
I am a bit out of my depth here (and the Q3). I only have one amp & the amp is driven off the rear channel. The rear speaker is bridged, I think.

Seems to be a standard way of doing things. No head scratching was involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
5. Were there any wires cut? Toyota says as long as there is no cut the warranty will not be void. Thanks!
No wires were cut. Every thing was plug & play. They basically have adapters/ harnesses for everything as a kit. Charged me about 3000 for the 'Amplikit' as they called it.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 15:38   #41
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
The speakers are 6.5" Focal R165 - components for the front & coax for the rear door.
Hello Sridhu - two questions

1. Where did you get this work done?
2. Did the 6.5" speakers fit into the Speaker slot? I seem to recall from the discussion earlier that the slot in Innova was 6.25".
vikas.mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 16:12   #42
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas.mishra View Post
Hello Sridhu - two questions

1. Where did you get this work done?
2. Did the 6.5" speakers fit into the Speaker slot? I seem to recall from the discussion earlier that the slot in Innova was 6.25".
AutoPlanet, behind BDA complex Koramangala.

6.5" speaker fits perfectly. No issues. They did use a spacer, which was also salvaged from the Innova.
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 22:56   #43
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04 & HR26
Posts: 91
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Hello Sridhu,

Hope you are having fun with Kabali.

just wondering is there any way you can fix 6*9 speakers in Innova's doors? I have Polk MM691 which were salvaged from my old Innova. They are in perfect shape so was wondering if I could reuse them. Thanks!

drive_angry

P.S. In my old Innova, they (Polkis) were in put in specially made sealed enclosure and were fitted in the negligible boot of the car which I don't want to do now.
drive_angry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 07:04   #44
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hello Sridhu,

Hope you are having fun with Kabali.

just wondering is there any way you can fix 6*9 speakers in Innova's doors? I have Polk MM691 which were salvaged from my old Innova. They are in perfect shape so was wondering if I could reuse them. Thanks!

drive_angry

P.S. In my old Innova, they (Polkis) were in put in specially made sealed enclosure and were fitted in the negligible boot of the car which I don't want to do now.
I don't think so. Earlier in this thread, some one had clarified that a 6x9 can't be fitted into a 6.5 space. You might want to look at mounting it on the tail gate but I think the sound will not be clean due to interference.

The pic of the subwoofer below:


ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta-img_20160730_070214.jpg

This is a screw type connector - so you might have to have an insulator handy if you are disconnecting the sub.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 22:26   #45
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04 & HR26
Posts: 91
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I don't think so. Earlier in this thread, some one had clarified that a 6x9 can't be fitted into a 6.5 space. You might want to look at mounting it on the tail gate but I think the sound will not be clean due to interference.

The pic of the subwoofer below:


Attachment 1535352

This is a screw type connector - so you might have to have an insulator handy if you are disconnecting the sub.
That's a sweet looking box. Does it come with the woofer (at an additional cost) or an aftermarket one? please describe your experience. I was once offered to install MTX in my 2005 Zen LXi but I turned it down for JBL. Reason: Too much Bass.

For Connectors: Might I suggest you a Clip Connector. it would be easy for you to connect and disconnect the woofer as per need. Screwing, unscrewing & insulation of the wires can be a cumbersome process, IMHO.

drive_angry

Last edited by drive_angry : 30th July 2016 at 22:30. Reason: Added more information
drive_angry is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour icyspikey SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 26 16th December 2016 21:11
Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy autofreak SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 94 21st July 2016 15:05
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016 GTO The Indian Car Scene 879 17th June 2016 10:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks