Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 13th September 2016, 20:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Rumour: Maruti cars to come with Harman audio

Maruti cars are going to come equipped with Harman systems from 2017. They are currently working with Harman to develop the systems. They will be manufactured from Harman, Pune plant. Going forward most of Maruti cars will start coming with Harman systems, may be in top end models, jus my guess. This is a good news for all Maruti fans as Harman makes some really good systems which are good to use and hear for sure

Note: I got this news from one of my reliable friends who has internal connection.
aniketi is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 21:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Rumour: Maruti cars to come with Harman audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Maruti cars are going to come equipped with Harman systems from 2017.

Note: I got this news from one of my reliable friends who has internal connection.
I think this was initiated quite some time back. Good to see it light of day ..
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 21:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti cars are going to come equipped with Harman systems from 2017.----
Isn't this old news, any why in 2017? Maruti Suzuki's Ignis is expected to get the infotainment unit from Harman in 2016, when launched!

Source
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good to see manufacturers in India taking stock audio systems seriously. Finally there are signs of our market maturing. I was tired of seeing fiddly touchscreens and gimmicky capacitive climate control buttons, useless features like automatic lights and wipers, but surprised that very few manufacturers were offering decent sound quality from their audio systems. Suzuki sold the Kizashi in 1st world countries with the option of a Rockford Fosgate audio system and Mitsubishi even used to do that here with their Outlander. I would have imagined that they would have pulled RF into the loop with their India operations. I guess now both the Tatas and Marutis will sound the same

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2016 at 13:19. Reason: Typos
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 14th September 2016, 00:11   #5
BHPian

Could be yet another case of Tata innovating and Maruti running away with a commercial success !

The Zest and Bolt (and now Tiago) featuring Harman Touch Screen infotainment systems are the best in their class/segment and maybe one segment higher too!
balajisv is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 07:52   #6
BHPian

Good move by the leader.
This could have a relation with India governments plan to make reverse parking sensors mandatory in all cars. Attaching a parking sensor and a camera will make the job easier. I guess more number of manufacturers will move towards this.
devil_klm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 08:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
This could have a relation with India governments plan to make reverse parking sensors mandatory in all cars. Attaching a parking sensor and a camera will make the job easier.
I don't think there is any exclusive relation between the two (Harman & Reverse parking system). AFAIK, reverse parking system integration is possible with host of other Infotainment system brands. Nothing unique about Harman.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 08:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Could be yet another case of Tata innovating and Maruti running away with a commercial success !
I have to agree with you. I feel bad that Tata did not get the recognition for something it had done long back compared to Maruti. But theirs is a different issue altogether. Speaking of Maruti, it is just a bonus offering in addition to what they are already giving. Hence, having a Harman system will never be a USP of the car.

Speaking of the integrated audio, they have indeed come a long way from where they started. I have seen five iterations of the integrated audio(SX4 old and new, WagonR, Dzire, Celerio) and there is an improvement at every stage in both sound quality and the features on offer. The first gen audio system on my SX4 and WagonR sounded pathetic compared to the facelifted versions of the same cars. This I realised when I recently swapped the HU in my SX4 to the HU that came later.

However, the Audio system on the Celerio sounds much better, and I think it is not made by Nippon any longer. The codename starts with PA instead of the NSCR code on nippon made units. Does anyone have an idea who manufactures it?

Last edited by audioholic : 14th September 2016 at 08:50.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 08:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Isn't this old news, any why in 2017? Maruti Suzuki's Ignis is expected to get the infotainment unit from Harman in 2016, when launched!
It is contrary to what I have heard. As per my source, it could be Bosch or Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The codename starts with PA instead of the NSCR code on nippon made units. Does anyone have an idea who manufactures it?
This could very well be Panasonic.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 12:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
It is contrary to what I have heard. As per my source, it could be Bosch or Panasonic.

This could very well be Panasonic.
I guess Maruti is not just looking for a music system but looking for an overall package. They are developing infotainment systems which will have it all together like maps, reverse parking camera, other features and music as well with good speakers

Not sure if Bosch and Panasonic have those packages and how good are they in that. Harman is already a well known player in this and will certainly have an upper hand here over others. Harman Kardon has some really good systems. I experienced one recently in Toyota Sienna in US in my cousins car and it was awesome. Quality of music was really good and it has all other features as well. I seriously hope we will be getting similar systems here in our cars soon as standard from manufacturer only.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2016 at 13:22. Reason: Typos
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 14th September 2016, 13:27   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rumour: Maruti cars to come with Harman audio

Quote:
They are currently working with Harman to develop the systems. They will be manufactured from Harman, Pune plant.
And Harman only has Tata to thank for this order. I'm sure a Maruti engineer experienced the Tiago's ICE and thought "holy cow, this is awesome. How come we don't have this?".

Sam Kapasi had once mentioned a tie-up between Maruti & JBL, where JBL will be sold as an official accessory at Maruti outlets. This is at a different level altogether. I've got a couple of JBL products and they all sound awesome. I think the treble sharpness & thumping bass of JBL / Harman will appeal to Indian tastes.

Hatchbacks & sedans are getting more & more similar to each other - in terms of space, price, power, ride etc. It's all about differentiating in other aspects now. A great in-car-entertainment system could be a solid one. I know a lot of people who bought the Tiago only for its interiors + infotainment system. Does leave a 'wow' effect on customers of that segment.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 14:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has tried out many different brands for their cars but in the end, very few manage to cross line of "PRICE", quality and delivery drawn by Maruti.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 17:06   #13
BHPian

A welcome move by Maruti! I hope that along with the Harman system, they also better the sound insulation of the car. As the net effect on the user would be a combination of quality audio output and effective blocking of road plus engine noise.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 17:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti cars are going to come equipped with Harman systems from 2017. They are currently working with Harman to develop the systems. They will be manufactured from Harman, Pune plant. Going forward most of Maruti cars will start coming with Harman systems, may be in top end models, jus my guess. This is a good news for all Maruti fans as Harman makes some really good systems which are good to use and hear for sure

I can confirm this news and have heard this from horse's mouth itself (Dont ask me where I work )

Soon one in every two cars sold in India will have Harman system, if all goes as planned.
Thilak29 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 19:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I can confirm this news and have heard this from horse's mouth itself (Dont ask me where I work )

Soon one in every two cars sold in India will have Harman system, if all goes as planned.
I can guess mate ... My friend is also one such horse from where i got this news

But yes, in 2-3 years, every second new car in India will have Harman system, most likely. That's a good news for sure for end user.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote