Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th October 2006, 22:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
I run 30min max. Get a decent battery if you have a good ICE and hear songs with engien off for long periods.
i have used ICE extensively with engine off. on a regular basis (read daily), i have been & am using the ICE for 1.5 to 2.5 hrs with the engine off. i have not had any starting problems or low battery problems ever. of course, my car is not packed with amps & subs, there is enough seating space. lol. i have only one 4 ch. amp & a sub & a 7inch TFT. i have watched full 3 hrs of DVD & still had no problems. i guess the problems reported by people like redeye is not b'cos of ICE, but due to a weak battery or some other underlying electrical problems in the car itself. if some guru here can tell me what is the power consumption of these amps, HUs & monitors, then we can find out how much battery power it will drain. cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 23:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
if some guru here can tell me what is the power consumption of these amps, HUs & monitors, then we can find out how much battery power it will drain. cheers

the power consumtion of a amp or a hu will differ becasue of the output at which it is operated....like when idle no signal is passed through a hu or a amp would take about 1-3 amps...but when the music is played the amperage increase and decrease like the music is played when a beat is there in a music the ampere is increased.....so if one is playing a hu and a amp at a low volume it can be played for hours.....but when it is played at a moderate volume then the battery will be going to get discharge and it can damage the amp or the hu with that low voltage....

esteem lover if you have played ur ICE on battery it is fine but not recommended...I never ever do it...may be next time if you can check the voltage of the battery after a 3 hours of movie session it would be bellow 10 volts or close to it .....this may start the car but repeated session like this will do great damage to the normal battery.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 00:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
so if one is playing a hu and a amp at a low volume it can be played for hours.....but when it is played at a moderate volume then the battery will be going to get discharge and it can damage the amp or the hu with that low voltage....
If it is played at moderate volume with 2-3 Amps and 2 Subs it will discharge soon, so it is not adviseble.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Last edited by Mugen_Power : 15th October 2006 at 00:13.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 02:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
If it is played at moderate volume with 2-3 Amps and 2 Subs it will discharge soon, so it is not adviseble.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Ya i have seen amps getting damaged with playing only on battery.....so I have a rule which I never break play ur ice with a start engine and you will be happy always....
Old 15th October 2006, 12:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Can, cannot. Some amps etc. have undervoltage protection to switch off when the input voltage drops below a prescribed level. Others could suffer just when the amp is approaching the limit, or if the voltage drops to suddenly, or coinciding with some big bass note happening.
Quote:
Ya i have seen amps getting damaged with playing only on battery.....so I have a rule which I never break play ur ice with a start engine and you will be happy always....
this seems to be little strange, at least at the first glance! can you guys elaborate, in technical terms, on what exactly causes the damage? (probably something to do with the power supply part?) I am not bothered about difficulty in delivering clean sound which is temporary and would be restored once battery charged up again. I am more concerned about permanent damage to amps.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 14:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
this seems to be little strange, at least at the first glance! can you guys elaborate, in technical terms, on what exactly causes the damage? (probably something to do with the power supply part?) I am not bothered about difficulty in delivering clean sound which is temporary and would be restored once battery charged up again. I am more concerned about permanent damage to amps.
normally all the electronics products gets damage due to voltage problem...and major is the low voltage culprit....when the voltage drops across any electronic equipment the current increases to keep it functioning...thats why when a ice is played in car the car battery starts discharging and voltage starts to dip ...... which creats loads on the power supply section of the amp ..... so when some bass hits in the track which puts extra load on the supply and the battery could not supply it as it is getting discharged....hence the amp dies.....
Old 16th October 2006, 08:51   #22
NIP
Senior - BHPian

wow...this is a new perspective !! i've always been blasting my ICE with the engine off on many occasions !! i used to start the engine every half hour or so just to check the battery !! i think i should avoid this totally !! never knew the amps could get damaged !!!!
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 11:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
i have used ICE extensively .... i have watched full 3 hrs of DVD & still had no problems. ..
Sure if you have a new battery this will work for a while. Sooner or later you will need more cranking power than the battery can deilver. this can even permanantly damage your battery (shorting one of the cells).
navin is online now   Reply With Quote