Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th January 2007, 20:53   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
For internet connectivity on the move, The best option now is to go for the Indicom USB modem kit. Just plug in to a USB port and You're connected. And it's quiet small in size too.
I dunno about the indicom's performance there. Here, it's not that great when it comes to customer service. Network reachability is not bad though.

Ankur! Once again, YOUR SETUP IS AWESOME!! Congrats on finishing it with perfection.
Thanks.

I went to 2 separate dealers of Tata indicom and neither knew anything about these. The website has a Plug 2 Surf system which i think will be perfect for me but neither the dealers nor the customer care knows about it. I also went to Reliance about the internet connection on mobile phones and those dealers were also almost clueless about the internet schemes. Typical indian company mentality, the company, the customer care and dealers are never on the same page. The same is also true for companies like Airtel. Really sad when prospective customers have to run from pillar to post to buy something from a company.

I have written to tata indicom and will write here if anything moves.

cheers.
ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 11:46   #137
Team-BHP Support

Don't go to reliance webword express, go to reliance webworld. Webworld express are franchises and are clueless. Their only aim is to sell handsets at a price higher than the market rate.
On reliance you will get unlimited platinum plan only on a PCMCIA card or the USB modem. As per reliance website they have discontinued unlimited plan on handsets.
Your other options are BSNL/MTNL(Garuda) and Airtel GPRS, but on the latter speeds are around 10-15kbps(Kilo bits per second).
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 12:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Default Heads up on Reliance Internet connection

Ankur, there is something that you'll need to keep in mind when you go in for the Reliance Internet Connection over a CDMA cellie (if you do).

When I travel with my Laptop, I use the Reliance Infocomm connection over an ancient LG2030 (the first model they used to give). The Reliance connection has the problem that it goes into idle if the connection is not used for more than say 30 secs (yes, 30 secs!). And once the connection goes into idle it never comes back online properly. Either the connection gets cut-off by itself after about an minute of idle-time, or the computer hangs.

I'd spoken to Reliance Customer Care (yes, like speaking to a blank wall) about the idling issue. They said that they are conserving bandwidth, and allocating it to somebody who is using the connection at that point of time. I kept getting the same spiel each time I tried asking about this. So I gave up and used the PING hack instead.

What I do is, I give a "ping/t xxx.yyy.com" command in the DOS console (where xxx.yyy.com is the first IP I get on a TRACERT, or either one of my 3 websites, or a very high bandwidth website). This keeps the connection alive till I decide to disconnect.

I'm not sure if the TATA connection also has this issue. I'm not sure if the Reliance PCMCIA card connection or the USB modem has this issue either. Maybe somebody using either of these can comment?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 12:50   #139
BANNED

Have you tried this?
TATA Indicom - Do More. Live More --------------------------------------------
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 13:04   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'm not sure if the Reliance PCMCIA card connection has this issue either. Maybe somebody using either of these can comment?
I use a Reliance PCMCIA card to get online when i am not in the office. I have no such 30 second issues. However, on occasion (Say once in an hour) it will show no connectivity (That is to say, i can't open a webpage in Safari, or check my mail) when i disconnect and reconnect, it's fine then.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 13:10   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'm not sure if the TATA connection also has this issue. I'm not sure if the Reliance PCMCIA card connection or the USB modem has this issue either. Maybe somebody using either of these can comment?
TATA also has this issue as both these providers devices are bandwidth-on-demand devices & hence go dromant if not used for an extended period of time. But if the signals in TATA are 4 or 5 out of a 5 scale then this issue doesn't bother, this problem is more exaggerated in a low-signal area.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 14:36   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I am actually interested in the Plug 2 Surf from tata, if they call me.

TATA Indicom - Do More. Live More --------------------------------------------

cheers.
Old 18th January 2007, 14:40   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I use a Reliance PCMCIA card to get online when i am not in the office. I have no such 30 second issues. However, on occasion (Say once in an hour) it will show no connectivity (That is to say, i can't open a webpage in Safari, or check my mail) when i disconnect and reconnect, it's fine then.
Ah a mac user . Most of the dial up systems, pstn or cdma do have an issue keeping an idle connection alive, the company doesnt want people to tie up their ports. There are lots of simple programs availble to keep these alive and i will just one of them.

cheers.
Old 18th January 2007, 14:43   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Your other options are BSNL/MTNL(Garuda) and Airtel GPRS, but on the latter speeds are around 10-15kbps(Kilo bits per second).
MTNL i wouldnt touch with a barge pole and Airtel sucks, i already have it. Its pretty reliable but the throughput is completely choked. I use it on my phone for email and IM but browsing is just not worth it.

I will try to get the Tata connection.
Old 18th January 2007, 15:16   #145
Team-BHP Support

You will be paying a lot as the max free data transfer is 1GB for the high end plan.
On reliance you have the option of 1500/month with no data transfer charges. They also have a USB modem.
If you want, this weekend I can ask Noida reliance webworld which is a full fledged outlet.
Old 18th January 2007, 15:20   #146
BHPian

Quote:
You will be paying a lot as the max free data transfer is 1GB for the high end plan.
On reliance you have the option of 1500/month with no data transfer charges. They also have a USB modem.
If you want, this weekend I can ask Noida reliance webworld which is a full fledged outlet.
I dont think i will be using this a lot anyway, maybe after a month or so i decide to cancel it altogether.

Yes, please let me know what Reliance says, in the meantime i am trying to get someone from Indicom to tell me what they have. Called and left my details, now someone will call me ... *sigh* !

cheers.
Old 18th January 2007, 15:23   #147
Team-BHP Support

I was thinking maybe you plan to use google earth as your GPS sytem via GPS trackmaker. This way it will eliminate need of any maps etc,. since google earth has mapping for most major roads, with many new ones being added.
But your data transfer is going to be high with that.
Old 18th January 2007, 15:27   #148
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking maybe you plan to use google earth as your GPS sytem via GPS trackmaker. This way it will eliminate need of any maps etc,. since google earth has mapping for most major roads, with many new ones being added.
But your data transfer is going to be high with that.
Well i already have Mapking, and it works great so i dont need the net connectivity for that. I wanted it primarily as a novelty and also to be able to check email on the go, there is an app that reads out the email etc.

cheers.
Old 23rd January 2007, 13:40   #149
BHPian

Ok people, had some time so decided to post some more pictures :

Here is JB diligently putting heat shrink sheeting over the connectors

Here is the sound card - SB Audigy 2 NX

Some of the supplies

More supplies

The USB Hub sitting on the DVD, sitting on the PC case
Old 23rd January 2007, 16:41   #150
BHPian

This is the reverse sensor, it overlays the sensor information on top of the camera image and displays that. Connected to the reverse light, so it comes on automatically when i put the car in reverse.

JBs prized possessions

Concealed wiring for the concealed reverse camera

Panel where the USB ports are mounted

Opus 80watt power supply sits behind the screen

JB and me wiring the MMI controller

This is the PC, it sits under the front passenger seat

This is me, cleaning the old battery contacts with a Dremel tool

Another view of the power distribution near the hand brake

The Tsunami power cable connected to a new Amaron Pro battery

Making a grounding point

The GPS receiver under the windscreen

Decals at the back