Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th February 2017, 16:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Tata Motors, Microsoft partner to enhance in-car connectivity

Tata Motors and Microsoft will be working together to develop in-car connectivity systems for the automaker's future products. Through the said deal, Tata Motors is aiming to use Microsoft's technology to offer a personalised experience to its customers.

In an official announcement, Tata Motors has indicated that it will be using Microsoft developed technologies based on the company's Azure cloud computing service. These technologies will be in three major domains: artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and Internet of Things (IoT). These technologies will be providing services like advanced personalised navigation, predictive maintenance, remote monitoring of car features and over the air updates. The automaker claims that these services will also help car owners to communicate with the vehicle and minimise the time required for maintenance.

The first car to come equipped with the Microsoft system will likely be the Futuro concept, which has been developed under Tata Motors's newly incubated sub-brand - TAMO. It will be unveiled at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show on March 7.

Tata Motors, Microsoft partner to enhance in-car connectivity-c4xq_n5ukaakci7.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 16th February 2017 at 16:41.
dZired is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 16:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Motors, Microsoft partner to enhance in-car connectivity

I like Microsoft on the desktop, use a Windows Mobile phone, and I have been called a Microsoft fan-boy... but I have to say - bad move.

Ford ditched Microsoft as their Sync partner due to poor reviews and created Sync 3 (running Blackberry QNX), and Sync 3 has been very well received compared to Sync (aka Sync 1) and Sync Touch (aka Sync 2).

Microsoft has had their Windows Embedded and Windows Automotive products for years (back when Apple was struggling and Google was just building their search brand) but couldn't get any meaningful wins. Today it is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto who dominate the scene.

Even in the AI space, Microsoft are almost playing catch-up with Cortana while Apple's Siri, Google and Amazon's Alexa have not only capable software products, but have also allied them with meaningful hardware choices.

For their sake, I hope Tata have done true technical due diligence in partnering Microsoft, and that this is not an exec-level deal sealed on the basis of some flashy presentations.

Last edited by arunphilip : 16th February 2017 at 16:56.
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 16:56   #3
BHPian

I sincerely hope the finished product is an open platform and not restricting to MS OS. I am hoping so because since Nadella took over, MS has been open in letting other OS use their apps and products and is focusing more on common cloud-based computing.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 17:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

bad move! if Ford can't make an MS infotainment system work, I doubt tata can do any better. All this especially when tata is trying desperately to shed its 'unreliable' tag and grow its marketshare!

If only there was a large indian IT co which has a lot of expertise in automotive and embedded systems which has a better track record with its customers, Tata motors surely would have consulted it.

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th February 2017 at 17:33.
greenhorn is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 17:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If only there was a large indian IT co which has a lot of expertise in automotive and embedded systems which has a better track record with its customers, Tata motors surely would have consulted it.
Absolutely Nailed it Sir!

Wondering why such a move now when MS is struggling to get any decent success in car connectivity. I guess it's worth the risk that they are putting it up for TAMO first and not on TATA vehicles first. This way the research done will be more and also the little goodwill that TATA is earning now will not be eroded if this doesn't work out well.

PS: To be frank I have no idea about "Internet Of Things". Can some please throw some LED's here
RaghuVis is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 18:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here is a video of the same (model car shown is Tigor/Kite5 - any surprise waiting for us?)

Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 19:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
bad move! if Ford can't make an MS infotainment system work, I doubt tata can do any better.
People thought the same when Tata bought JLR when Ford couldn't change it's fortune! Let's wait and watch.
kptraveller is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 21:45   #8
BHPian

Call me paranoid! But I find this kind of intrusion by technology into our personal lives a bit annoying! (I'm saying this after seeing the video)

I don't know about others, I get freaked out when google now starts giving relevant information after I book tickets for example!
Sure, it may bring some convenience, but most of the time I have this uneasy feeling, though I know there is no person snooping around my mails!
The last thing I want is my car annoying me about my appointments or ordering my food!
N.r.K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 16:56   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I find this announcement very intriguing. Tata has a strong relationship with Harman, which has recently been acquired by Samsung. As we all know, Samsung = Android.

Tata shouldn't reinvent the wheel. Simply give Android Auto & Apple CarPlay in your cars and 99% of your customers will be 100% satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptraveller View Post
People thought the same when Tata bought JLR when Ford couldn't change it's fortune! Let's wait and watch.
Touché.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
But I find this kind of intrusion by technology into our personal lives a bit annoying!
If you use the internet, your privacy is more or less a myth .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 21:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Simply give Android Auto & Apple CarPlay in your cars and 99% of your customers will be 100% satisfied.
Completely agree with you on this. The other 1% can never be satisfied.

I don't know about ICE+ Nav systems in high end cars, but I agree with you.

Your phone is a very powerful device and most users tend to upgrade their phone every 2-2.5 years. Whereas, cars are going to be with the owner for 8-10 years and a rarely does a user upgrade a system.

So, it's best to use a phone for all tasks by implementing a neat interface like Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 21:39   #11
BHPian

There are reasons why Blackberry and Windows phone are doomed : Low apps leading to low users and vice versa.

Imo, an ideal ICE should have a software which is compatible with the phone which the owner has (iOS/Android).

Why go some different route? Look at Nokia. Where are they now?

Also, please add MirrorLink.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 17th February 2017 at 21:40.
The Brutailer is online now   Reply With Quote