Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th May 2017, 09:41   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default The 2017 Honda City's ICE: Hidden menus, Bluetooth internet, Apps & more

Big thanks to Prabhu Vairakkannu for sharing this information via autohelpindia.blogspot.in.

Quote:
Honda India introduced a new AVN infotainment console in the 2017 City. Although it is developed in India, it lacks many software features, has cheap buttons without backlighting and a poor digitizer.

I have no idea how Honda missed Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. All small to medium segment cars have these features nowadays. The infotainment system was actually manufactured in Malaysia.

Lets see some hidden menus in the system.

It is simple, no hacks required. Actually, the administration menu is hidden by default.

Follow these steps to play with the hidden menu:

- Go to the Settings menu

- Scroll down and tap About

- Now press the menu button more than thrice. Until you see the below screenshot (CTS option)

- Now tap CTS settings. It will ask for the password = 9876

- You will have full device control once you enter this password

- You can administrate the head unit

- You can debug it

- You can install any Android app, but it is limited in this Firmware. You cannot install all apps and will get a parse error. I'm trying to figure this out
Name:  IMG_0870.png
Views: 8197
Size:  413.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0871.png
Views: 8071
Size:  426.1 KB

Bluetooth Internet:

- Make sure you have connected your phone to the system for streaming songs

- In the administration menu, scroll down until you see "Bluetooth internet access"

- Tap it and then click the checkbox "Enable internet access over Bluetooth"

- You would now see a list of Bluetooth devices with the address. Just tap and connect

That's it. You are connected. Enjoy!

Software update:

Recently, they have released a software update to fix the Bluetooth and iPod lag.

Expectation: Since the device has capability to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, we may expect a software update from Honda anytime soon with these features.

Important Warning:

- Do not root the device. It might void your device warranty

- Don't try to flash the firmware using any Custom ROM unless you are an expert on it. There is no Universal ROM for car head-units now I guess
Facebook Lite installed:
Name:  IMG_0869.png
Views: 8060
Size:  437.1 KB

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2017 at 09:44.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 11:26   #2
BHPian

This is great

Will go down in sometime to my car and check this out. The system definitely needs the Apple Car Play since there are Apple users are pretty common all around.

EDIT:
I tried the above procedure and could connect to the internet. However once I did it, it seems the phone functionality goes off viz. I cant make or receive calls anymore. Also to connect to the internet I have to follow the procedure every time the unit is switched off. Apart from that the unit rebooted and went to factory settings once.

This seems to be a little buggy at the moment, but if rectified will be a good thing specially since one would not require to buy the dongle for internet access and live traffic updates.

NOTE: I tried this with my iPhone 6. Not sure how it would work with Mirror Link. Maybe the phone disabling issue won't happen then.

It would be great if others can post their experience as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th May 2017 at 13:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 14:58   #3
BHPian

Default Re: The 2017 Honda City's ICE: Hidden menus, Bluetooth internet, Apps & more

From the interface, it seems like Honda is using a very old version of Android as base for this Digipad. My guess is it looks like Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), based on the UI of the Settings / Browser.

For the "parser error", have you tried installing APKs which support Android 2.3 only? It is possible that Apps not supporting 2.3 may be the reason for the parser error.
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 13:25   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: The 2017 Honda City's ICE: Hidden menus, Bluetooth internet, Apps & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
This is great

Will go down in sometime to my car and check this out. The system definitely needs the Apple Car Play since there are Apple users are pretty common all around.

EDIT:
I tried the above procedure and could connect to the internet. However once I did it, it seems the phone functionality goes off viz. I cant make or receive calls anymore. Also to connect to the internet I have to follow the procedure every time the unit is switched off. Apart from that the unit rebooted and went to factory settings once.

This seems to be a little buggy at the moment, but if rectified will be a good thing specially since one would not require to buy the dongle for internet access and live traffic updates.

NOTE: I tried this with my iPhone 6. Not sure how it would work with Mirror Link. Maybe the phone disabling issue won't happen then.

It would be great if others can post their experience as well.
I don't switch of the HU at all just hit the engine start stop button and switch of the car: is this a problem as the HU comes on once I start the car! But unable to receive and make calls would be a problem. I think Mirror Link doesn't work for iPhone does it?

Last edited by Durango Dude : 11th September 2017 at 13:27.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 11:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
From the interface, it seems like Honda is using a very old version of Android as base for this Digipad. My guess is it looks like Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), based on the UI of the Settings / Browser.

For the "parser error", have you tried installing APKs which support Android 2.3 only? It is possible that Apps not supporting 2.3 may be the reason for the parser error.
It's using 2.2. I was able to install old 2.2 supported versions of VLC and YouTube on the head unit. Videos do play, but the YouTube stream hangs after playing a few seconds. It could be that the apps were not optimized for Android 2.2.
kanuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 11:17   #6
BHPian

It's crazy that at a time where even cheap Chinese manufacturers are moving towards Android 6.0 and higher and that too on cheap Chinese products, our so called Indian companies are stuck using a more than 6 years old OS on a supposedly premium product. Pretty pathetic of Honda to do this.
pathik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 17:30   #7
BHPian

The worst part is that I believe the RAM for the unit is limited to 512MB, going by the fact that most apps are very sluggish to operate. I don't think Honda is going to invest time and money to upgrade these devices, we'll have to rely on someone in the Android community to create custom ROM's for them.
kanuj is offline   Reply With Quote