Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2006, 00:58   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley of India
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default JBL- Bad Equipments & Even Worst Service - (Happy Ending Added!)

I had this Dream of having a good Music System in my car, Mahindra Scorpio. A good friend of mine suggested Jbl Equipments over the other brands, My favourite though wa Sony because of my previous experience. His argument prevailed & i went to the Authorised Service Centre at Bangalore and started equiping my truck.

Started with the following
2 way component System - GTO 506C
GTO CS60.4 Amplifier
GTO1202D Subwoofer
GTO301.1 Monoblock
CQD5501U Panasonic Head Unit
And Couple of JBL 3 way Speakers which were quite expensive.

All in all the guys did a very shoddy job and there was no fun in listening and i eventually upgraded almost all the equipments
2 way component System - GTO 506C to Infinity Kappa 50.7 CS
GTO CS60.4 Amplifier to GTO 75.4
GTO1202D Subwoofer - Retained but had to change the enclosure
GTO301.1 Monoblock to GTO 601.1

At all the sages of replacement I had to loose some money primarily because of the incompetence of the Dealer in guiding the customer regarding the right product and the way of fitting it. Surprised company like JBL doesnt even address the training of the Authorised dealers.

The biggest blow was when the Amplifier blew out because of one small metal piece came off from one of the capacitors or what ever and caused a short circuit. Gave it for service but there has not been any response since last 5 days. This Amp was only about a month old.

Its really Depressing & have no clue on what to do. Their website is one of the most unfriendliest i have found.

Overall a ****ty Stuff..... I have already spent atleast 8 months and loads of money & its really frustating.
raj_vijayarajan is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 01:38   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Hey raj_vijayarajan,

Why don;t you contact SAM for this issue. I presonally don't think JBL stuff is bad. I had JBL speaker in mylaptop worked quiet good.

Though maybe dealer tried to rip you off etc.. I also went to get JBL speaker but the dealer said no bill and warranty will be provided. No one at our area provides bill / warranty for any product and if anyone even say they will provide the following are the terms and conditions:

1. 12.5 % VAT
2. around 1k - 2k extra for the same stuff.
3. You will have to get it replaced from the company itself.

Contact sam@team-bhp.com for this issue.
abhibh is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 01:51   #3
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Hey, Seems Sam is gonna be kicking a few BUTTS when he sees this post ....

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 01:53   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_vijayarajan
At all the sages of replacement I had to loose some money primarily because of the incompetence of the Dealer in guiding the customer regarding the right product and the way of fitting it.
Please could you elaborate on this.I mean were you expecting the company to suggest the best ICE for a scorpio or you wanted the ICE according to your own personal taste.

Ps: No offence please

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 6th November 2006 at 01:59.
rahul_intlad is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 03:22   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
blueraven316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,109
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_vijayarajan
Surprised company like JBL doesnt even address the training of the Authorised dealers.
Where was this install done ?? who sold you the stuff is what i am asking you, if you don't mind.
blueraven316 is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 09:16   #6
BHPian
 
prince85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 967
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Sam, Sam, Sameerji......................Where are you?
prince85 is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 09:27   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,362 Times
Default

Raj, Could you pls. explain in detail. How was the sound like. You say there was no fun in listening.

Also why was the job shoddy what did you notice shoddy about it. It would help if you elaborated on the whole issue so that we could help you out.

Ofcourse Sam is the best person on this.
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 09:57   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley of India
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Please could you elaborate on this.I mean were you expecting the company to suggest the best ICE for a scorpio or you wanted the ICE according to your own personal taste.

Ps: No offence please
Rahul,
Whats ICE? as for my understanding, When I purchased the Truck last 2005 July, It came with a basic Sony MP3 Player & the Co. fitted speakers. Then I purchased a 4 +1 Channel Alpine Amp & thats when I bought the Speakers (cant remember the series but it costed me excess of 16K) and the Component Speakers. Since the scorpio doesnt have place to fix the speakers, i had to get the component fixed to the front Door..... Looked bad though & the speakers in boxes. at one time i had 3 different boxes at the back.

Since the music wasnt ant good, I went back and thats when all the others from JBL happened i.e. Monoblock, Amp, Sub etc...
raj_vijayarajan is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 09:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Dear Raj,

Welcome to team-BHP. I see this is your first post. I think you should have read the rules section first and perhaps posted a proper introduction.

I know a lot of people will expect me to react to the title of your thread. I work for JBL and I'm not going to react as this is your opinion and perhaps a bad experience has led you to this sorry opinion. In my opinion (and also of a few hundred thousand enthusiasts in India ) JBL makes high quality performance audio and at good prices too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_vijayarajan
I had this Dream of having a good Music System in my car, Mahindra Scorpio. A good friend of mine suggested Jbl Equipments over the other brands, My favourite though wa Sony because of my previous experience.
Your friend is right, Sony speakers are not preferred by many audio enthusiasts around the world. You would have been quite sorry IMHO if you put your hard earned money on that equipment as I think your expectations are quite high. (as they should be)

I am sorry to hear that your experience was anything less than pleasurable. You have given us insufficient data, such as Model number of 3 way speaker, how the woofer was mounted/what kind of enclosure etc.
We don't know what music you listen to, how loud and what your idea of fun is. (Mine is large chested naked women with loud industrial music in the background, stuff like Rob Zombie, do you like him?)

I have some points for you now

1) Think before you post
We don't attack anything or anyone or any brand on team-BHP. Had you taken time out to go through the forum, instead of bludgeoning straight in with a blistering, terribly named and grammatically incorrect thread - you would have voiced your concerns differently and with a different tone, on a very public forum.

2) Read before you write.
A short while on this part of the forum would have made you realise 2 things
a) Your original choice of equipment was quite good - and many on this forum would have given an arm and a leg for a setup like this below.
Quote:
2 way component System - GTO 506C
GTO CS60.4 Amplifier
GTO1202D Subwoofer
GTO301.1 Monoblock
CQD5501U Panasonic Head Unit
And Couple of JBL 3 way Speakers which were quite expensive.
Perhaps we could have found a satisfactory solution for you, without wasting your money further? That's what sharing community knowledge on a forum is for. Most people read for a few days/weeks before they make their first post. We must learn before we teach.
b) Team-BHP is not a consumer redressal forum, however we (JBL as a company) don't tolerate shoddiness on the part of any JBL business partner. You say you went to a "JBL Authorised service station" We have 150 dealers in the city of Bangalore. It's 930am, I just got up and I, honestly have no idea where you went for your installation.

However we do have an authorised service station, an office and a company supervised shop-in-shop called sound factor at Lavelle Road - I seriously doubt the possibility of you having gone there.

JBL India prides itself on it's consumer service (we're really quite good) and a little time reading would have made you see that, simply voicing your problem here, would have got you a satisfactory solution with the help of some knowledgeable people here and a bit of intervention from my side. It's quite simple, I love team-BHP and JBL is my life - the result for most BHPians can be quite pleasurable & exciting. (hmmm....)

Quote:
At all the sages of replacement I had to loose some money primarily because of the incompetence of the Dealer in guiding the customer regarding the right product and the way of fitting it. Surprised company like JBL doesnt even address the training of the Authorised dealers.
We do much more than Sony(your current favourite) has and could have ever done. We are constantly striving for better experiences across the nation.

The good news is that you have returned your good JBL equipment and bought even better JBL equipment!

Quote:
The biggest blow was when the Amplifier blew out because of one small metal piece came off from one of the capacitors or what ever and caused a short circuit. .
Really? Wow that's terrible, I'm sorry to hear that. Electronics do fail sometime, yes even JBL. It should be fixed very soon, assuming you bought it with a bill & warranty. Sometimes, if you just know the right people in the company, you can even get an immediate replacement on the spot, with an apology and a diet coke

Quote:
Their website is one of the most unfriendliest i have found.
Unfriendly website? Which one? www.jbl.com or www.fxaudio.com

Both seem ok to most people. If you have any suggestions as a consumer on how we can make it more friendly, please do email me.

Quote:
Gave it for service but there has not been any response since last 5 days. This Amp was only about a month oldOverall a ****ty Stuff..... I have already spent atleast 8 months
?????? How confusing lol.

Anyways, raj, I hope my post has helped you in some way.

Because I'm not going to.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 6th November 2006 at 09:59.
Sam Kapasi is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 10:01   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,882
Thanked: 9,696 Times
Default

Ok folks

Sam has replied. We would appreciate this is resolved off line using the proper channels rather than go into a spin out here.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th November 2006 at 10:28.
ajmat is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 11:15   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,502
Thanked: 3,880 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_vijayarajan
I had this Dream of having a good Music System in my car, Mahindra Scorpio.
His argument prevailed & i went to the Authorised Service Centre at Bangalore and started equiping my truck.

Started with the following
2 way component System - GTO 506C
GTO CS60.4 Amplifier
GTO1202D Subwoofer
GTO301.1 Monoblock
CQD5501U Panasonic Head Unit
And Couple of JBL 3 way Speakers which were quite expensive.

All in all the guys did a very shoddy job and there was no fun in listening and i eventually upgraded almost all the equipments
2 way component System - GTO 506C to Infinity Kappa 50.7 CS
GTO CS60.4 Amplifier to GTO 75.4
GTO1202D Subwoofer - Retained but had to change the enclosure
GTO301.1 Monoblock to GTO 601.1

At all the sages of replacement I had to loose some money primarily because of the incompetence of the Dealer in guiding the customer regarding the right product and the way of fitting it. Surprised company like JBL doesnt even address the training of the Authorised dealers..
a) We ICEers are very sorry. We hate anyone to be dis-satisfied with their ICE (In Car Entertainment). It would have been really nice if you had found us before you bought your ICE. We love helping people spend their money esp on ICE. If you can detail what you think is wrong with your sound I am sure you have enough people here offering their opniions.

b) You have some very good equipment. I am sure you can achieve decent sound in your Scorpio (vid6639's boss has a Scorpio too so maybe he can help as ICE is very car specific and I have not expereince with Jeeps, SUVs, or Trucks).

c) I assume the JBL 3 way speakers are JBL 937s. BTW can you name the dealer from where tou purchased and installed all this. We want to help you but you have to help us too. As you might know, I am not the biggest fan of JBL equipment (becoase I find the sound a bit too forward) but JBL is nothing if not reliable and well built. JBL builds equipment for some of the most demanding applications (Pro audio, Studios, and many many touring bands).

d) electronics has very poor resale value and this applies to all electronics including computers, TVs, digital cameras, and any/all audio equipment. which is why we at TBHP recommend (i) listening BEFORE buying and (ii) buying with a plan esp. for those who plan to upgrade slowly.

IN short raj, all of us here including Sam are willing to help but we need you to help us too.
navin is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 11:20   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

ICE --> In car entertainment.

I am really sorry you had to face so many problems.But look at the brighter side if it weren't for the problem maybe you would not come to team-bhp and believe me we have some guys who who know their ICE stuff[I dont make it to this group however] .

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 6th November 2006 at 11:31.
rahul_intlad is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 11:36   #13
BHPian
 
w 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

IMO Raj Vijayarajan can post his buy / install experience here , as much as any on else can with any other brand.

It is possible to have a lousy experience with even the best of the brands..( GTOs problems with his C 200 Mercedes is an example)

IMO , we need not flame him , even if his Grammar / spelling is bad , just because his views may not be palatable to some members

No one is begging any one else to help here..If some one can help , Great ..otherwise nothing is lost , life goes on..There are thousands of consumers and brands who have not even heard of team BHP.
w 12 is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 11:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
IMO Raj Vijayarajan can post his buy / install experience here , as much as any on else can with any other brand.

It is possible to have a lousy experience with even the best of the brands..( GTOs problems with his C 200 Mercedes is an example)

IMO , we need not flame him , even if his Grammar / spelling is bad , just because his views may not be palatable to some members

No one is begging any one else to help here..If some one can help , Great ..otherwise nothing is lost , life goes on..There are thousands of consumers and brands who have not even heard of team BHP.
I agree w 12. One can have a bad experience with any brand.

But I completely disagree with your observation.
Who is flaming him? Me? Navin? Rahul? Which post has flamed him? Why would you say a careless thing like that? And why should his view not be palatable to "some" members? Please do explain yourself.


Everyone wants to know what happened, His views and opinions are most welcome.

Baaki bacha grammar, woh toh I took a shameless dig as usual. I should be slapped.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 6th November 2006 at 11:49.
Sam Kapasi is offline  
Old 6th November 2006, 11:45   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,502
Thanked: 3,880 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
It is possible to have a lousy experience with even the best of the brands..( GTOs problems with his C 200 Mercedes is an example)
We dont intend to flame him. Our only intention is to help. JBL or not we have done this before and will continue to do this. Yet we do need more information (what kind of sound Raj is expecting, where he bought the stuff, etc...) so that we can help him better.

For example:
Is the bass lumpy? Where is the subwoofer installed? what is the box size. it is proted? what are the settings on the amplifiers and head unit.

The Panasonic Headunit and JBL speakers/amplifier have providied good sound to many so we believe that it is a case of a bad/incorrect install here.
navin is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
APC UPS: Good Service EDIT: Now a bad service experience added as well bblost Gadgets, Computers & Software 52 14th March 2014 17:31
Rains, Ordeal, Good Cops, and a Happy ending.. ad75 Street Experiences 20 29th July 2012 21:42
Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse SirAlec Commercial Vehicles 14 12th October 2008 19:52
This Trip Have Emotion,Drama& Tragedy.. But a Happy ending. greatDrive Travelogues 29 3rd February 2007 17:46
scary story with happy ending? part 1 rahulcherian Street Experiences 9 23rd February 2005 20:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks