Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2004, 17:36   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
aadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 1,597
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

jvc is good, my friend has the jvc indash vcd player in his qualis, hooked to an imported 15" lcd screen
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 18:13   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,798
Thanked: 25,043 Times
Default

Thanks for your views Godspeed & Libresito,

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also on compering speakers blaupunkt is light yeras ahead as a blaupunkt 150 watts speaker is compared to a pioneer 350 watts speaker
Once again, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the wattage on a speaker only indicate the wattage it can handle, and is no indication to how loud the speaker is ?

R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 23:18   #18
BHPian
 
libre sito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mumbai/Brooklyn/New Jersey
Posts: 148
Thanked: Once
Default

hey rehaan tats true well to put it in terms of rms value a 75 watts rms blaupunkt speaker is equivalent to a 150 watts rms speaker of pioneer
libre sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 01:09   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 49,851
Thanked: 103,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hey rehaan tats true well to put it in terms of rms value a 75 watts rms blaupunkt speaker is equivalent to a 150 watts rms speaker of pioneer
How did I miss this thread? And 75rms of Blaupunkt is equivalent to 150 of Pioneer?? Since when? I assume that you are basing this on the comparo between the Pioneer speakers in the Zen, and the blaupunkt in the Accent. Its obvious that the Pioneers were at a distinct disadvantage as they would either be installed on a plastic tray or a "fitted" wooden tray. And the Blaupunkt had the advantage of a sedan installation....i.e. that entire trunk of the Accent served as a bass enclosure!!

If you are a die hard lover of quality, go pick up a combo system with kickers, jl audios, boston acoustics and mb quarts. In the mid-range Pioneer rocks. More than 50% of Blaupunkts worldwide sales are through OEM fittings i.e. where cost counts more than anything else. Even in the higher range, Pioneer have launched a premiere range which addresses the needs of those looking for a bit more quality.

It also depends on what kind of music you listen to. Me and Rudra were having a conversation about this, and for his kind of music a blaupunkt is probably better. But I am into a load of techno, underground, R&B, rock etc. And for this kind of music, nothing beats Pioneer in the buck/quality ratio. The sound quality through my Vtec is to die for. We actually spent 15 collective hours "tuning" the equipment.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 01:51   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,798
Thanked: 25,043 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (libre sito @ Aug. 26 2004,21:48)]hey rehaan tats true well to put it in terms of rms value a 75 watts rms blaupunkt speaker is equivalent to a 150 watts rms speaker of pioneer
What do you mean when you say "equivalent"? are you comparing volume or quality?
And once again how can you compare them, assuming the head unit is different (IMO the reason for differnt output levels since we are talking wattage) as well as they are in different cars as GTO mentioned....

And so GTO, i am assuming that you are saying that..say for example a Rs.3200/- 6x9 from pioneer is just as good quality as one from blaupunkt??

cya
R



Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 14:37   #21
BHPian
 
libre sito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mumbai/Brooklyn/New Jersey
Posts: 148
Thanked: Once
Default

Good point GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] I assume that you are basing this on the comparo between the Pioneer speakers in the Zen, and the blaupunkt in the Accent. Its obvious that the Pioneers were at a distinct disadvantage as they would either be installed on a plastic tray or a "fitted" wooden tray. And the Blaupunkt had the advantage of a sedan installation....i.e. that entire trunk of the Accent served as a bass enclosure!!
But since i know da shop keeper very well i made in install da head unit and wiering and amps and then wen he was done i got him to show me how well both the speakers performed by placing a pair at a time and listening to da same track wid no changes in tuning.

Where did u get ur tapes tuning done?
And i have already put in abt 1lkh in my system so my dad gets furious da moment i talk abt adding something to da car



libre sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 14:40   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 49,851
Thanked: 103,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

And so GTO, i am assuming that you are saying that..say for example a Rs.3200/- 6x9 from pioneer is just as good quality as one from blaupunkt??
The only reason that Pioneers are availale cheaper is that they can be sourced only from the grey market. Pioneer still has to develop a local distribution chain. Thus while duties and taxes are incorporated into the price of Blaupunkts and Sony's (among others), you dont pay any of these additional charges on Pioneers.

One must ascertain that they are getting only original Pioneer products when sourcing them from the local accessory shop. Duplication is rampant and it has become increasingly difficult to tell an original from a counterfeit.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 17:57   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: bombay
Posts: 130
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Duplication is rampant and it has become increasingly difficult to tell an original from a counterfeit.
this is one of the reasons i suggest ppl stay away from pioneer especially if you dont know how to spot different quality levels, headunits & amps are still alright, but the speakers are a definetly no-no.

u also cannot compare rms & pmpo..... pmpo os totaly crap, companies put down whatever they like, but actual power handling capacity is judged by rms
...
Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 14:48   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,917
Thanked: 4,286 Times
Default

ok guys lets get sensible here.....
the car batt puts out a nominal 12V DC (14.4V at peak). lets assume we are not using SMPS power supplies (few if any head units do). let also assume we ave 100 % efficiency in converting input power to output power (yeah i know this is quite impossible but remember i used the word "assume&quot. P=V^2/R = 14X14/4 = 50W. Now this is 50W all 4 channels combined. so a best 12W per channel. if 50% of the input power is lost in heat we are alking 6W rms per channel 20-20k all channel driven. now the good part. for most applications 6W in a car is adequate.

why?

speakers are rated 87-90db/1w/1m. at 6W (7dbw) you are looking at 94-97db/1m. this is quite enough to drown out outside noise and make driving a sight and tactile affair.

so why does everyone wanna put 100w rms power amps backed by 2F caps and secondary batteries, upgraded alternators, and distribution boxes?

1. to show off
2. the above specs are true mostly for freq above 50hz and probably more true for music above 80hz. Bass is energy hungry. besides the ability of most speakers to produce bass drops drastically as the freq. drops. in addition to this our ears are horrible in efficient in the low freq. so we need ons of power feeding big speakers to move lots of air to realistically produce bass below 50hz. to hear this bass in a moving car is even more diffcult as the noise floor in the low freq range is significcantly higher thanks to road noise.

If you are willling to live with a system that performs well above 60/80z or so you will do fine with 6-10W rms that most headunits provide. if however you want bass at 20hz to match your levels at 200hz you will need gobs of power and large woofers etc.

Now why does a system that is actually only performing well above 80Hz sound good in car?
1. Psychoacoustics. This is where Dr. Amar Bose and his Corp. excel.
2. Road Noise.
3. Subharmonics and Overtones but then this is part of Psychoacoustics.

Enjoy the music.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 02:35   #25
RJK
Senior - BHPian
 
RJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 940
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I bought pioneer 4650 & lightning audio speakers for my car today. The speakers..6X9 with one year warranty. Sounded good..Give me your opinions about the speakers....
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi's Sound Concept cabin defines auditory excess: 62 speaker surround-sound ! dar3dev|l In-Car Entertainment 10 22nd June 2010 15:23
Sound from Engine Bay of Swift VDI (DDIS) - what would be the cause of this sound? DieselFan Technical Stuff 4 25th January 2008 18:31
Indigo LX or Indigo Marina LX windsurfer Sedans 10 23rd January 2007 14:03
Indigo Marina conv to Indigo Advent vivek.singh.73 Modifications & Accessories 1 27th August 2005 09:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks