Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2006, 18:55   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Madras
Posts: 379
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Worldspace can be heard in cars but with interruptions becuase of the Line of Sight the antenna requires. If the you are on a highway with no trees or other obstructions then there will be no interruptions too.

I have seen an Astra and a City with worldspace antenna's on their roof with a Hitachi receiver in the cabin. And this way back in '01 or '02. I had myself contemplated in my car but decided against it.

Last week I saw an ad in the newspaper advertising "Satellite radio in cars". So the day is not far when it will become common.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 22:56   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
Worldspace can be heard in cars but with interruptions becuase of the Line of Sight the antenna requires. If the you are on a highway with no trees or other obstructions then there will be no interruptions too.
Thats strange. I read somewher that teh antenna should be stationary as it has to be pointed towards SE direction tolock on the beam! XM works coz there are terrestrial antennas. emmm... need to google more.

edit:

"A consumer's radio consists of a satellite receiver plus an antenna that has to be placed in clear view of the relevant satellite (so-called "line of sight"), oriented in a certain azimuth and elevation (depending upon the geographic location)."

Well? so how will a moving object retain its azimuth and elevation?

and http://www.orbitcast.com/ XM and Sirius in one!

Last edited by jkdas : 17th June 2006 at 23:05.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 11:14   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

forget all the articles. there is nothin as such a line of sight that a receiver cannot be fixed in a car.

US now also has pocket satelite radios. need more info?

Car receivers are not availabe with worldspace coz the company never paid attention to this aspect.

what I am looking forward to is a satelite Radio phone with a Monthly plan that includes radio charges as well.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 14:14   #49
BHPian
 
rsjaurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Batala
Posts: 775
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Thats strange. I read somewher that teh antenna should be stationary as it has to be pointed towards SE direction tolock on the beam! XM works coz there are terrestrial antennas. emmm... need to google more.
5u3zEr0 is right.This is what written abt Tongshi Damb-R WorldSpace Radio----


"TONGSHI DAMB-R WorldSpace radio is ideal for home, travel or mobile applications.

The Radio, along with a hand-size satellite antenna, is able to receive abundant satellite audio and data programs in most of the areas in Asia and Africa via WorldSpace satellites under suitable satellite signal reception conditions. Due to the strong reception technical capability, the Radio may be equipped to enjoy the WorldSpace satellite services in line-of-sight mobile conditions.

Car kits include Car Power Adapter and Magnetic Stand."


Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi
what I am looking forward to is a satelite Radio phone with a Monthly plan that includes radio charges as well.
me too!!!!! I hope it will happen 'soon'!

Quote:
US now also has pocket satelite radios. need more info?
why not...

Last edited by rsjaurr : 18th June 2006 at 14:18.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 23:40   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr

why not...

check out

www.sirius.com

www.xm.com
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 00:03   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
i really like above item.If it can work in moving car i can go for it even though its bit expensive.

Tongshi works in my car - I use the built in FM transmitter to send the signal to my HeadUnit, and Worldspace reception isnt too good in the middle-east. Admittedly there arent any trees around here, either.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 10:05   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Admittedly there arent any trees around here, either.
Har Har HAr HAr.... Hear Hear!! .. Dont he buildings qualify?

But I have seen a lot of people use World Space receivers with the antenna on top of the unit - INDOORS.. how is this possible??
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 10:07   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Har Har HAr HAr.... Hear Hear!! .. Dont he buildings qualify?

But I have seen a lot of people use World Space receivers with the antenna on top of the unit - INDOORS.. how is this possible??
it works though glass, plastic etc and hence.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 10:42   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Tongshi works in my car - I use the built in FM transmitter to send the signal to my HeadUnit, and Worldspace reception isnt too good in the middle-east. Admittedly there arent any trees around here, either.
Have you tried it in city center with lots of buildings? Is the quality better than traditional FM?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 11:41   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Have you tried it in city center with lots of buildings? Is the quality better than traditional FM?
I havent tried this in the City - I take the Tongshi along only when I go on long drives because we have pretty decent FM coverage in the city with the 2 Hindi, 3 Malayalam, 4 English and a number of Arabic channels. 2 Mallu channels also broadcast the same programme in AM just in case you drive too far out...

Will try it out and update. Meanwhile I can confirm that the reception is pretty decent - comparable with FM coverage. Its just that you have a funny looking white device sticking on to your boot, which on a black car is really conspicuous. I route the antenna wire through the boot and the gap between the rear seats to the device itself which stays on the rear parcel shelf. Change channels using the tiny (very easy to lose) remote...

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th June 2006 at 11:44.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 11:56   #56
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,749
Thanked: 4,339 Times
Default

Looks like there's enough of us waiting for Worldspace to get it's act together for the mobile unit. News reports had said it would be launched in India more than a year back. A recent report said that they are now launching it in South Africa. I feel this would only mean more delays for us, in case Worldspace is going to wait for a larger user-base in India before they launch the mobile unit in India.

Sirius & XM will not work in India. Obviously, the service itself is not avlbl here. But they work on a diff frequency, and hence even if one got a Sirius / XM antenna from US, it will still not work.

For those who really want this now, there seems to be just one hope beyond using the Tongshi. And not all of us WS listeners have a Tongshi ---
Blaupunkt seems to have a DAB antenna [for mobile DAB receivers] in the UK, which works on the same frequency. This looks like close to the roof-top external antennas. This may just work for us.

Cost of the antenna is abt 40 pounds. But without any confirmation if this combination will work, I am still un-decided on this approach. But would Love to get it working in the car, esp for those long drives.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 19:20   #57
BHPian
 
rsjaurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Batala
Posts: 775
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Tongshi works in my car - I use the built in FM transmitter to send the signal to my HeadUnit, and Worldspace reception isnt too good in the middle-east. Admittedly there arent any trees around here, either.
Then it wont work for me as nearesr FM station is probably 70 km away,at Jallandhar.Anything which has to be used via FM will not work with me.

So i think i have to wait till car receivers r made available in merket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeroid
Meanwhile I can confirm that the reception is pretty decent - comparable with FM coverage. Its just that you have a funny looking white device sticking on to your boot, which on a black car is really conspicuous. I route the antenna wire through the boot and the gap between the rear seats to the device itself which stays on the rear parcel shelf
do u need to rotate the antenna as it has to be in LOS (line of sight)?

Last edited by rsjaurr : 19th June 2006 at 19:23.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 19:37   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Then it wont work for me as nearesr FM station is probably 70 km away,at Jallandhar.
FM transmitter is ON the Tongshi unit and is used to send signals from the Worldspace receiver to your Headunit. You dont need an FM station for this.

You can also connect the audio out from the Tongshi receiver to the aux input on your headunit, but for that your wiring woudl look very ugly. Hence the preference for the FM transmitter.

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th June 2006 at 19:39.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 22:03   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Madras
Posts: 379
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
But I have seen a lot of people use World Space receivers with the antenna on top of the unit - INDOORS.. how is this possible??
Are you sure Kb? Thats highly improbable unless they are sitting next to glass windows! The signal does not come through walls at all.

With buildings around the signal will keep breaking up.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 23:05   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
FM transmitter is ON the Tongshi unit and is used to send signals from the Worldspace receiver to your Headunit. You dont need an FM station for this.

You can also connect the audio out from the Tongshi receiver to the aux input on your headunit, but for that your wiring woudl look very ugly. Hence the preference for the FM transmitter.
But how do you power the unit? Is the car's charging point able to provide enough power for the worldspace receiver?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) thread bejoy Shifting gears 102 11th October 2017 10:43
India to have its own Satellite Navigation system soon! smartcat Shifting gears 31 3rd April 2013 15:41
Radio Auto Launched! Radio TUK TUK RW9763 Street Experiences 2 24th November 2010 15:17
Satellite Images of all major cities!!! Shan2nu Shifting gears 1 1st October 2004 12:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks