Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th October 2007, 18:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Superbly put hydrasok....

But then, we should also remember that not all of the car drivers are audiophiles. Most of them dont need or want a high end system.
While that may be true, almost anyone can tell the difference between a crappy system and one that sounds nice. You really don't have to go very "high end" to get far better performance than any OEM audio system. (Simply change to reputed speakers, put in even a small amp and the difference is HUGE)
As for audiophiles, I don't think ANY true audiophile would even consider a car audio system, simply because of the acoustics, road noise, vibration and all those reflecting surfaces.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 10:34   #17
BHPian

I bought a set of 301's in 2005 from Bose India.

My budget was fixed & I was looking for a 5.1 speaker set for 70% movie & 30% music.
I initially looked all over the internet to look at opinions & was surprised at the mixed response on Bose.
I decided to stay away from them considering their 5.1 is super expensive for me.
I then set out to listen to Polk audio, Jamo, JBL & Onkyo. It must have bugged the guys at Polk for having requested a demo more than 3 times just bcos I just couldnt make up my mind.

I realised that tower speakers are best suited for music & satellite 5.1 for movies.
I kept postponing my purchase month after month & then decided to go to the Bose store by accident since my brother was interested in them.

I was totally impressed by their 301's though they were pushing me to get the 201 too along with the VCs10 centre channel speaker. I was unimpressed with all except the 301 which I thought was perfect for a blend of music & movie.

My music preference is more mid & treble & less of bass.
After installing it at home, following all the instructions regarding the distances to be maintained & location of reflecting objects such as walls, I found the speakers to be extremely sensitive to placement.

I could not close out the left speaker with any flat solid object due to the presence of a small passage. After closing it out temporarily with cardboard the sound was filling up the room more & even 5.1 movies sound great on them.

At the end of it all, I realise that each one has his own hearing preferences & while buying new speakers go purely by what your ear tells you & not the brand name or hear-say.
theexister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The reason these surveys give results like this is that majority of respondents for the surveys are average joes on the road, and not true.
Thats so cruel of you , sniff....sniff..(wiping tears of my eyes.)
maxbhp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Its Cruel but its true.And i can narrate an incident which occured today itself.I was in khan market (delhi) getting some tints for my car and getting my strobe lights checked up.Then came a guy in a big black safari playing his system to the max.He came down and was walking like he owned the place or what(Delhi people ego) he came in and started complaining that the bass from his subs was sounding like Dhol .I said lets help him out.I went up and said sir you could need some damping as it could remove the vibrations and resonance.First reaction wats damping??What are you talking?? I took him to my ride and explained..SAM sir technique from CNBC video...He was suprised..He said he has the best system in the world with subs and amps thinking i would ask whats AMPS and SUBS..and stuff in his ride SONY...EVERYTHING SONY...FRONT,REAR,SUB,AMP EVERYTHING.

Then i told him i have a HERTZ setup and he said which company is that..Chinese?? I said you just listen.after i played a 50 cent song..he was Silent for 10 mins,and i was laughing like hell...

SO GENERALLY PEOPLE THINK SONY RULES IN ICE...but they are wrong.
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 10:00   #20
BHPian

cant help.
bling sells more than technology.

if you go to an average car audio shop (including some dealers), they show you the faceplate of the HU and dont even show you the speakers sometimes. and i have seen people buy it seeing the faceplate only!!! like how one buys a mobile. (not that the facevalue logic applies to mobiles, but still)

my colleagues were rather surprised when i said that i paid a bit more than necessary to bag a 2nd hand (rather 3rd) Alpine 9835 and still it did not have a single dolphin jumping around on the screen

and you want to go around asking such people "How does my HU sound"???? leave alone their capabilities of estimating how a speaker sounds.

Last edited by gbpscars : 18th October 2007 at 10:02.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 10:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

hydrashok
The reason these surveys give results like this is that majority of respondents for the surveys are average joes on the road, and not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I said that coz my name is JOE
maxbhp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 10:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
my colleagues were rather surprised when i said that i paid a bit more than necessary to bag a 2nd hand (rather 3rd) Alpine 9835 and still it did not have a single dolphin jumping around on the screen
That was a good one! Sample this:

Colleague(Called C hereafter): Which *system* did you buy?
Me(M): Pioneer Head unit and JBL speakers.
C: Kya yaar, itna paisa kharch karke Safari Kharidte ho, par music system pe kanjoosi kar li. (You spent so much money on the car, why cut corners on music system).
Me: What do you mean?
C: If you had spent some more, you could have got SONY!
Me: Pioneer and JBL are good.
C: Oh! pioneer might be good but not as good as SONY. Sony makes the best music systems. BTW, what was the name of your speakers?
Me:JBL!
C: Oh. They are the new Ahuja, used by all orchestra guys.
Another more informed colleague: C2: Did you get an amp and sub?
Me: No, planning to add soon.
C (again): After that will your car make that dhoom dhoom sound?
Me: Not exactly.
C: Then what is the purpose?

Cheers,
Su-47
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 11:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
C: O........ ....... BTW, what was the name of your speakers?
Me:JBL!
C: Oh. They are the new Ahuja, used by all orchestra guys.

< ROTFL >
the new Ahuja!!! cant get over that!!!

Sam. are you reading this?

Ahuja bought JBL??
quite possible if Tata is trying for Jagaur and Marshal amps n speakers are being assembled right under my nose @ SEEPZ!!!

Last edited by gbpscars : 18th October 2007 at 11:13.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
< ROTFL >
the new Ahuja!!! cant get over that!!!

Sam. are you reading this?

Ahuja bought JBL??
quite possible if Tata is trying for Jagaur and Marshal amps n speakers are being assembled right under my nose @ SEEPZ!!!
Marshall in SEEPZ?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 11:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Marshall in SEEPZ?
yes navin, there are quite a few small companies that assemble electronic products mainly amps and speakers at SEEPZ and work on a 100% EOU (Export Oriented Unit) license.

i have seem them quite a few times with neat packagings, not the market end packaging but a transport level. i was surprised to see a full sized container getting loaded with Marshall's goods.

am sure of the logo because i have grown up with enough rock videos.

this was the logo...
Image:Marshall Logo.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 18th October 2007, 11:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yes navin, there are quite a few small companies that assemble electronic products mainly amps and speakers at SEEPZ and work on a 100% EOU (Export Oriented Unit) license.

i have seem them quite a few times with neat packagings, not the market end packaging but a transport level. i was surprised to see a full sized container getting loaded with Marshall's goods.

am sure of the logo because i have grown up with enough rock videos.

this was the logo...
Image:Marshall Logo.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
do they have Celestion woofer there?
Old 18th October 2007, 11:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
do they have Celestion woofer there?

hope we are not hijacking this thread!!

i have no idea,... these things arrive in huge containers normally closed, end up in different companies as per their contracts and get shipped out as assembled products in the shipping containers directly.

there is no way to track which company works for who with the assembly companies named like "Sound and Out" or something like "xyz enterprises".

may be i should take a day's off and build some data

Last edited by gbpscars : 18th October 2007 at 11:58.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Marshall in SEEPZ?
I have a feeling you're pulling his leg there. I'm not sure ALL of Marshall's products are made there but its enough to keep a dozen fork-lift driving container loaders busy for 2 shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars
What company do you work for?

It isn't unusual to spot me standing in the middle of the heap formed by Marshall MB10s, right by the gate that opens to the new building and the ICH.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 10:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I have a feeling you're pulling his leg there. It isn't unusual to spot me standing in the middle of the heap formed by Marshall MB10s, right by the gate that opens to the new building and the ICH.
B&T other than Sam I think only you understand me. However something tells me that that is not really a GOOD thing! :-)

One other DIY project I am thinking of is a JCM900 head mated to 4 x 12" Celestion stack. I want to make it modualr so it is easy to store and move.

But now we are seriously OT. On days like this I thank God they made me a Mod. Still seriously considering the rep Bose and Sony have on this forum I think hijacking this thread might be good... just kdding guys!

Last edited by navin : 19th October 2007 at 10:05.
Old 19th October 2007, 10:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Then i told him i have a HERTZ setup and he said which company is that..Chinese?? I said you just listen.after i played a 50 cent song..
really? and it played well on your Hertz set up?

I toh been given to understand they are not at all bright, have a laid back SQ oriented sound. Me think the SONY would've been brighter given the song (and to the guy's liking as you said he was playing top of the volume).

please correct me if I'm wrong.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote