Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 30th December 2006, 00:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

@sam, that's the power wire for neons/led tubes coming up under the dash. Work-in-progress :-)

@nikki, thanks :-) I'll be going to the garage by about 2 in the afternoon. I have to attend a very close friend's wedding in the morning. I'll give you a call before I leave. Speedzak will also be coming over.

Last edited by hydrashok : 30th December 2006 at 00:17.
Old 30th December 2006, 01:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hydra

I guess everythings going well by the looks of it... I can imagine how you're feeling right now... Also, the sub will sound different (better) now due to the better box and the tuned aero port. How much power you got going to the sub again?

Keep us posted on the progress, looking forward to your report...

Cheers!
Old 30th December 2006, 01:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, gunbir! There isn't much power going into the sub. :-) 160w RMS, 400w max. The sub is rated at 220w RMS, 700w max.
Old 30th December 2006, 08:44   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Thanks, gunbir! There isn't much power going into the sub. :-) 160w RMS, 400w max. The sub is rated at 220w RMS, 700w max.
ah your 444th post. We may drive down to see your car in another 30min or so.
Old 30th December 2006, 08:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Let's wait for the 666th one >:-)

Going to TVM? Do stay till evening :-)
Old 30th December 2006, 21:23   #36
BHPian

Thumbs up ugh!!!! WHAT AN INSTALL!!!!!!

Guys, I was there at the ICE install site of this car today... the work is completed and car is out....

should say it sounds AMAZING!!!! Saw, experienced and flattened..... this is easily one of the best install I came across in a hatch back!! Also, is definitely a prize winning install!!! It was sounding great!!! The quality of sound output and overall work is outstanding...!!!

Hydrashok, your bucks well spend dude...!!! cheers:
Old 30th December 2006, 22:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Definitly one of the Best ICE Install on T-bhp!

Congrats Hydra! Enjoy the Music!!!
Old 31st December 2006, 00:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Install completed!!!

Speedzak was the one who got to listen to it first (even before me). I got stuck in traffic for over an hour on the way to Emperor. Some polit(rick)icians called called a hartal in the afternoon over the Saddam issue, and the entire city was rushing home befor 3.00 (when the hartal was to start).

I got to the garage thinking that next I'll need to get the car washed and interior vacuumed and cleaned pronto. But the Zuheimi had given the car a great wash, and the interior was cleaner than it would be, had I cleaned and vacuumed it myself.

The MUSIC! I LOVE the way it sounds! So smooooooth, so much definition, so much life, and so much depth. The quality of detail just overwhelmed me. Words can't express what I feel, and how my car sounds now. I can almost see the layered placement of the various instruments, one in front of the other, in the mind's eye when I'm listening. All the music I've listened to, I need to listen to again. Songs I used to skip before because I didn't like them that much, I'm listening to, now. The first complete song I listened to in my car got tears in my eyes, gave me goose-bumps and left me gasping for breath. I'm in heaven, and I'm not coming back to earth -- ever. And I'm not boasting or exaggerating, but nothing I've listened to far, sounds as good as this. Really. Zuheimi just got himself a customer for life. The 2 days of work was worth it.

First, Zuheimi showed off the sound with his personal special compilation CDs. Then we started to listen to snatches of music. About an hour later we started listening to complete songs. We stopped only because the tank got nearly empty and I needed to get to the nearest petrol bunk or at-least home (a hartal was on, remember).

I just got back a half-hour ago after a loooooooooooong drive. I haven't been able to listen to even a small percentage of the stuff I want to listen to right away! I bet this baby will sound even better in a week after I've got the speakers broken-in.

The sub (my old sub) is a wholly new thing now. I didn't change the driver (it is still the same old Kenwood), and I didn't change the amp that was feeding it. The new box the installer made has transformed it! The bass blends in great with the front comps. The bass is right there in my gut and my chest each time it hits. Except in some bits of music the bass really does feel like it is coming out of just the 3-ways in front. The port used in the box is an Audison (AZ Comp) port. I first went ape**** what I'd heard how much it would cost. But now that I've listened to the sub, it was worth every penny. As was every penny spent on the rest of the setup.

By the way, every setting is on flat now. No boosts or cuts nowhere -- in the HU or amp or the crossover. The system runs flat and it sounds GREAT that way.

The total came to just under 75K, of which 11.8K was installation charges (including damping).

Connection Audison Wiring & accessories (Power): 8660/-
Connection Audison Wiring (Speakers): 3130/-
Connection Audison RCAs: 3000/-
LED tubes (what I've been calling neons): 1650/-
Sub-Box: 1500/-
Audison (AZ Audiocomp) Port: 850/-
Audison SRX4 Amp: 24,400/-
Hertz ESK163s: 14,100/-
Hertx ECX130: 5400/-
Install (including AZ Comp Fonomat damping, filling & padding, wood, etc): 11,800/-
TOTAL: 74,490/-

I got a reasonable (not great, but reasonable) discount on this, but that is between me and Emperor :-)

I bought everything from Emperor Car Accessories, and not directly from Gunbir. If I was in Delhi I would have got a way better deal I'm sure, but what the hell :-)

Zak and Nikkibike saw the car and listened to the setup. JK couldn't see the car in the morning -- Zuheimi has worked late last night to finish the fitting, and to start on the tuning. He got to the garage with the car only after the time JK had to leave for TVM. JK, you can check-out the system next week, when you're here :-)

Everybody who helped out with advise -- you folks know who you are -- I thank you all. Special thanks to Zak for helping me get the job started in the first place.

Pics coming up next.
Old 31st December 2006, 00:52   #39
BHPian

cngrats hydra... on the Audisson-Hertz combo...slick...
Old 31st December 2006, 00:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

The boot:

Audison SRX4, driving the front & rear speakers and the Blaupunkt 10-CD Changer

Blaupunkt GTA250 Amp driving the sub

The sub in the new box

The sub reflects the led's glow (the sub's cone is silver) at night

The RHS door (completed) -- same as the LHS door shown yesterday. Notice the muted glow of the blue led strip in the footwell:

The Crossover for the 3-ways

From left to right:
Nikkibike, myself and Speedzak

There are pics of a couple more items (small details) that I didn't take today. Will post them tomorrow.

Last edited by hydrashok : 31st December 2006 at 01:07.
Old 31st December 2006, 02:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hydra, congrats on your setup... You have a great installer and I'm sure your system sounds great.

This is what I love about great audio... re-discovering all your old music and hearing new things in those old tracks. You'll soon learn a lot of your old music was actually recorded better than most new music today. BTW, Zuheimi has a great collection of music. I remember his test compilations and he had some very nice music.

Re the sub... of course it sounds better with the new port and box. But remember that midbass is a very important part of perceived overall bass, just disconnect the woofer from the crossover and you will understand what i mean.

Quote:
I bought everything from Emperor Car Accessories, and not directly from Gunbir. If I was in Delhi I would have got a way better deal I'm sure, but what the hell
Not really Hydra. Not unless we were clearing any items.

Enjoy!
Old 31st December 2006, 08:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

nikki, finneyp and sk456, thank you.

sk456, you have these 3-ways in your Santro, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Re the sub... of course it sounds better with the new port and box. But remember that midbass is a very important part of perceived overall bass, just disconnect the woofer from the crossover and you will understand what i mean.
Yes, Gunbir :-) I actually listened to a bit of music after disconnecting the sub. The setup actually sounds really good even without a sub. I bow to those midbasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Not really Hydra. Not unless we were clearing any items.
You know what? That's actually a relief. So I didn't miss out on anything :-)
Old 31st December 2006, 11:53   #43
BHPian

Congratulations Hydra for your setup. Its looking good and after going through your initial impressions i know for sure that it is sounding great too. Enjoy.

Last edited by Autophile : 31st December 2006 at 11:54.
Old 31st December 2006, 12:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
nikki, finneyp and sk456, thank you.

sk456, you have these 3-ways in your Santro, don't you?

yes hydra...i got a 3 way hertz too...rocks.... great for hearign jazz/accoustic vocals..

My current ICE set up:
  • Kenwood KCD-01 HU
  • Pioneer premier series 6100F amp - the ODD one out :(
  • 3 way hertz energy series Components
  • IDQ 10 inch sub
  • Audison Cabling power kit
  • Some Dynamat damping ( need tons more )

Last edited by sk456 : 31st December 2006 at 12:34.
Old 31st December 2006, 14:04   #45
BHPian

Default Cheers.. :)

Congrats Hydra..

I can already imagine how well you will be pleased with the music once the speakers really break in... Great choice of components and a professionally done installation. I'm a Hertz, Audison & Zuheimi fan now...

I had driven up to Mavelikkera yesterday to attend a wedding and around 2, I heard about the Hartal. I convinced my friends its easier to drive up to Cochin for refuge rather than attempting to drive back home.. . My actual plan was to come there and witness the great Installer go about his work and finally hear for myself the great Hertz. But it never occured to me that shops in Kerala would remain closed on a harthal. I know . We hung around in marine drive expecting Emperor to open by 7 atleast... But poor me.. it didnt.. . Dint have your number too.

Anyways.. nice to hear you are enjoying your ride and congrats once again...
Closed Thread