Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th January 2007, 17:01   #61
BHPian

I believe battery indicator in laptops is like fuel meter in cars- they both are meant to serve as a crude estimation (which is quite useful, practically) but not as accurate measurement devices.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 17:24   #62
Team-BHP Support

santosh is right, Li batteries do not suffer from memory effect, therefore reconditioning will just calibrate the meter.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 17:51   #63
rks
BANNED

The following website confirms what santosh.s and tsk1979 have said:

Getting the most of your batteries

Quote:
Simple Guidelines

- Avoid full frequent discharges; recharge Li-ion more often. There is no memory to worry about.
- Although memory-free, apply a deliberate full discharge once every 30 days on batteries with fuel gauge to calibrate the battery. If not done, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
- Keep the Li-ion battery cool. Never freeze the battery. Avoid a hot car.
- For prolonged storage, keep the battery at 40% charge level.
- Avoid purchasing spare Li-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing date. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.
Although only the "fuel gauge" gets recalibrated by the reconditioning, that is very important because the laptop needs the correct charge capacity readings in order to give the user appropriate warnings and also shut down safely upon reaching a low battery level, etc.

Edit: In the context of a car battery, I wonder if occasional full discharge/recharge will help if the car also has some electronic gauge of the battery capacity (say, in order to trigger off a warning light in the console). I doubt it, though.

Last edited by rks : 19th January 2007 at 17:57.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 18:58   #64
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
In the context of a car battery, I wonder if occasional full discharge/recharge will help if the car also has some electronic gauge of the battery capacity (say, in order to trigger off a warning light in the console). I doubt it, though.
The answer is negative, as per the following website (and as mentioned in this thread):

Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section 14

The lead-acid batteries apparently should not be discharged below 20% of their capacity, otherwise their life will be reduced. And they should always be charged fully.

And by the way, it is not advisable to wait till the battery dies before going for a replacement. That could damage some electricals, including the starter.

Last edited by rks : 19th January 2007 at 19:00.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Recently due to keys being locked inside.the music system was on at a low volume(basic HU with 4 speakers),it ran for 18 hours,still battery had enough juice to start the car.

PS: I know its an old thread so I am just sharing my experience.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote