Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th February 2007, 16:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Apreiodic Subwoofer boxes

Many who know me know that I've been a big fan of aperiodic (and TL) boxes. I have been this way since about the late 70s and by the mid 80s i was so hooked I could not think of other solutions (It was like I had a hammer and so everything looked like a nail). I coined many terms from SDTL (short damped transmission line) to SDP (stuffed and damped port) etc partly becuase there was no internet and I DIYed alone with no interactions with other DIYers.

Today I ran into a post on my favourite audio site (yes I have other hobbies as well) diyaudio that I feel can be of good use for ICE. Becuase in ICE we are all trying to get bass out of small boxes. So I am posting this.

see post #62 from Geoff here
diyAudio Forums - How about the sealed box with "variovent"?

Last edited by navin : 7th February 2007 at 16:28.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 18:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

so navin ji have u tried it....if yes then any pics of the same would help us a lot.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 22:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

I've tried apreiodic at home and in the car. dont worry about pics. I never take any.

A aperiodic box is just a sealed box with a port that is stuffed with glass wool. In effect it is a lossy box. I came upon this in the 70s when i first learnt about the mathematics of speaker box design and realised that if I increase QL I can reduce the peak in small boxes (where 0.7<Qtc <1) . the downside is efficiency but I always prefered lower levels of defined bass than higher levels of boom.

what i also realised is that if this is overdone it robs the speaker of it's dynamics so there are limits.

Since this is a car forum I think you can find out more on other forums dedicated to audio and car audio.
Old 7th February 2007, 23:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I always prefered lower levels of defined bass than higher levels of boom.

what i also realised is that if this is overdone it robs the speaker of it's dynamics so there are limits.

Since this is a car forum I think you can find out more on other forums dedicated to audio and car audio.

I like me....low_bass_listener........lo

Yeah no enclousre is perfect or we can say that all the freq cannot be achived from a single design....

Ya this can be tried using.........Take 2 pieces of plastic gutter mesh and sandwhich a piece of fiberglass between them. One variovent.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 19:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Ya this can be tried using.........Take 2 pieces of plastic gutter mesh and sandwhich a piece of fiberglass between them. One variovent.
LBM you forgot to give credit. :-)
Old 12th April 2011, 21:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Apreiodic Subwoofer boxes

Hi freinds, Today with great effort I located a person Mr. Rakesh who makes wooden woofer boxes, rear parcel trays etc . He has a small factory on JVLR near Durga Nagar, Fantasyland.Buy directly from him instead of going to those fancy shops.
This person is very humble and very reasonable, I got my large woofer box modified by cutting its height and refixing it, I also got good quality rear parcel tray with all for Rs.400/- He can be contacted on 09820202859.
I have told him that we guys will call and visit you so be reasonable with all of them ,You may quote my name IQBAL SINGH. who came to him in ALTO K10 . Regards
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote