Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th March 2007, 09:26   #16
BHPian

Hey JPL,
4inchers just do not give good sound (unfortunately, in the REVA I have no choice).
From my limited experience, I gather that in any other car, the front speakers (normally 4") can be of a good component series, to take care of the higher notes, while bigger speakers (ovals preferably) in the rear, give the rounded sound.
In my Innova, I was advised to put components with crossovers in the front, but 2 or 3 way speakers in the back. Seems to be OK.
Dont know if this is relevant in your context.
Vicki_Rau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 10:51   #17
JPL
BHPian

Thaks vicki for the reply,

Well I have actually had my share of the talk with the gurus for sometime through december, when I was getting Ice installed on my xing. I do have a ICE setup with the GTO 427 co ax in the dash and blaupunkt 6x9 in the rear and a JBL 1204br sub and two amps 60.4 and 300.1 and a Alpine 9857 unit.

I am not at all happy with the 427's, they distort all the time, so I keep bass on 0 on my hu and also treble.

Just wanted to know from the gurus if the 4" componenets are available and for a sane price is the SQ justified with the speaker size when compared with a 5 1/2 component.

PS: Even in the Santro the stock location only accomodates 4", how sad is that man when compared to swift, indica...etc
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 11:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
I do have a ICE setup with the GTO 427 co ax in the dash and blaupunkt 6x9 in the rear and a JBL 1204br sub and two amps 60.4 and 300.1 and a Alpine 9857 unit.
I am not at all happy with the 427's, they distort all the time, so I keep bass on 0 on my hu and also treble.
Just wanted to know from the gurus if the 4" componenets are available...
JPL,

a) I assume that you are using 2 channels of the 60.4 to drive the 427s. If this is so use the HPF on the 60.4 (for the 2 channels used to drive the 427s) and set that to 100Hz or maybe even a bit HIGHER. 4" speakers (coax or component) are not designed to reproduce bass with authority.

b) In most cases you will find equallising music is not nessacary. Ofcourse there are occasions when the evils of EQ outweigh the evils of the recording (some old recordings for example were made on poor equipment or by engineering who were prolific "substance abusers").

c) If you are unhappy with your system we at ICE aim to please. The guru list is growing and now includes LBM, Hydra, Sam, Gunbir, Autophile, B&T etc.. yet I would insist that you trust YOUR ears above all else.

These Gurus are BIG (I am 72kgs and 174cm tall and I am dwarf in their presence) but have bigger hearts.

I am just a Mod not a Guru (my knowledge base is too outdated for me to stake that claim).

BTW your login reminds me of an employer of mine.

Last edited by navin : 9th March 2007 at 11:51.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 12:33   #19
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
JPL,

a) I assume that you are using 2 channels of the 60.4 to drive the 427s. If this is so use the HPF on the 60.4 (for the 2 channels used to drive the 427s) and set that to 100Hz or maybe even a bit HIGHER. 4" speakers (coax or component) are not designed to reproduce bass with authority.

b) In most cases you will find equallising music is not nessacary. Ofcourse there are occasions when the evils of EQ outweigh the evils of the recording (some old recordings for example were made on poor equipment or by engineering who were prolific "substance abusers").

c) If you are unhappy with your system we at ICE aim to please. The guru list is growing and now includes LBM, Hydra, Sam, Gunbir, Autophile, B&T etc.. yet I would insist that you trust YOUR ears above all else.

These Gurus are BIG (I am 72kgs and 174cm tall and I am dwarf in their presence) but have bigger hearts.

I am just a Mod not a Guru (my knowledge base is too outdated for me to stake that claim).

Hey Navin,

I did actually seek the advice of gurus earlier and that also includes you..

Its just that it to hard for me to digest till now about the 4" components availbility, and also the sad 4" space in the santro.

Its just that Iam not satisfied with the output, though after some tweaking i have set the bass to optimum ( according to my taste).

Gurus, why dont we have a flash back to the day of 13 december 2006. I will continue on the advice thread, not good hijacking.
Old 10th March 2007, 09:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Hi JPL,
I have been using the jbl GTO 427`s from around three months now...and i must say..they are a great pair of Co-Axials for that size and price...Well since you have a Sub..you can easily cut the low`s from your front and rear speakers.
After fiddlin with a lot of settings in the amp,hpf,lpf etc.....Feel that the 427`s will be very happy with HPF at 125hz...
They dont disort at even at 90% of the total volume..the amp that i use is a sony 504... .And since you are using a jbl 60.4..You should be getting the best out of it...Do try this and let us know the outcome..
rgrds,
angelfire
angelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 10:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think JPL is mostly concerned about lack of bass up-front. With 6x9s and a sub in the back, 4" will definitely not cut it (bass-wise) in the front.

If bass in the front is the problem, the (costly) solution is removing the 4" coaxials and fixing 6.5" comps in the front door.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 12:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

The problem lies with the location in the Santro, and not with a 4" speaker per se. There's nothing wrong with 4" speakers otherwise, and if enclosed properly, most play down to 100 cycles with decent output.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 12:23   #23
Team-BHP Support

I agree, Santro's stock location offers no isolation for the 4" the speaker pod is almost an after thought suspended as it is from the dash. The last time I looked at the Santro was when the car was introduced (along with the Matiz) I would have figured they would have a changed that location by now.

Some cars are just no ICE friendly.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 14:28   #24
JPL
BHPian

Yeah Navin the santro is not "ice" friendly , now this is some comaptbility standard that the car manufacturers should consider. one day we should start seeing in car brochures "ICE Friendly car accomodates 6.5 inch components with mounting depth of.."etc that should be a nice change lol.

As Hydrashok understand my concern , yes no bass upfront thats the concern, I guess I will remove the 427's and replace them with 6.5 infinitys or hertz as i had orignally planned..

Angelfire, I will also try HPF at 125 hz, and yeah they are great vfm at that size, sure, no bones about it. okay let me try to blast them off with heavy bass and then install the 6.5 compos. I will switch of the sub and the rear 6xp and play full volume on the 4" till the paper cones fart out loud.

B&T I guess the location on the santro is not very bad, my personal stupid and dumb opinion (how moronic is that), I guess its better than the speaker locations provided on the swift and the indica, I mean hello I dont have any hearing organs there, but still with the stock location, some..some of the sound waves are directed towards my legitimate and qualified hearing organs especially if i push the seat back and sit in 120 deg recline.

Well I have narrowed down to the choices that I have ( very limited) after discussing the same with hydrashok.

1. Cut the door panel and install the 6.5 compos.
2. Remove the Door Panel and get a MDF door panels done and then install the mid basses. Install the origianl door panels when you plan to sell.
3. Another advice from a friend after some discussion on hydrashok's advice, if the plastic door panels are in the range of Rs 1500 to 2000/- to hell with them and I can always replace them when I sell. So cut the bloody plastic.
4. Be with the 427 for sometime, which I cant. hmmn contradicting statements from one person at the same time, i smell split personality, do you guys agrees with DR. JPL.

Will let you guys know what I deceide on, man this is getting really getting on my nerves.

Till then...4" compos for the Reva Classe
Old 10th March 2007, 15:41   #25
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Dont tell me you were working for JPL, now thats something which is really cool.
Old 10th March 2007, 17:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
B&T I guess the location on the santro is not very bad, my personal stupid and dumb opinion (how moronic is that), I guess its better than the speaker locations provided on the swift and the indica, I mean hello I dont have any hearing organs there, but still with the stock location, some..some of the sound waves are directed towards my legitimate and qualified hearing organs especially if i push the seat back and sit in 120 deg recline.
Even with 120 deg recline the right will be louder than the left.

To play even as low as 250 Hz at the same level as the rest of the frequencies, the diameter of the speaker's baffle (in your case, the part of the dashboard that forms the grill for the speaker, needs to be atleast 20 cm measured from the center of the speaker. That sure as hell is not happening in a Santro. If you boost the bass using an equalizer or something, you would hear some bass, but such allocation of power will starve the mid to high frequency response of the speaker.

I recommend you live with what you have, or cut the doors and install speakers, coaxes/ comps whatever.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 19:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

I'm not sure if this will help much but you can try listening to the 4" infinty's. Someone on the forum was saying the bass is better than the 427 JBL. Ofcourse it wont do wonders as the Santro has the funny location.

That's the reason you should consider how ICE friendly a car is as well before buying just like Navinji.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 21:37   #28
JPL
BHPian

vid6639, most definitely the infinity maybe better, however as Navin Ji mentioned that 4" whether coax or compos do not produce bass with authority and hence the lack of bass upfront. I cant believe I am being biased with music in my own car, something serious need to be done..soon.

To hell with the door panels..
Old 11th March 2007, 22:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
vid6639, most definitely the infinity maybe better, however as Navin Ji mentioned that 4" whether coax or compos do not produce bass with authority and hence the lack of bass upfront. I cant believe I am being biased with music in my own car, something serious need to be done..soon.

To hell with the door panels..
hi buddy,
How come you are experiencing the lack of bass upfront......i mean..you do have a sub right??...Well i am under the impression that the sub takes care of the bass inside the car...
angelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 22:43   #30
BHPian

what is the Ah rating of the battery of your Reva
harsh87 is offline   Reply With Quote