Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th March 2007, 09:24   #1
BHPian

Default Amplifier suggestions please.

Hi,
I am planning to buy an amplifier for my car. My current setup is a head unit and 4 speakers, 2 fronts and 2 rears which came stock with the car (ford fusion). I am planning to completely remove the HU, as I am planning to install a car pc and route the sound to speakers through the inbuilt soundcard in the mobo.
So there are 2 options..Kindly suggest the best and the economical one.

1) I would like to keep the existing speakers and just buy an amplifier. My current speakers are, I think 35 watts X 4. So what kind of amp should I be looking for? I am more interested in getting good quality audio than the loud music stuff. I am generally a soft music or classical music kind of listener.

My worry over here is can it damage the existing speakers.
A car audio dealer, I visited was quick to say, i need to replace the speakers as well, or he said ..Phat jayga, udd jayega and all.

or

2) I will need to buy new speakers which will be replacing the existing and an amp. Sound requirements are the same as above, I donít need subs and all.( only 4 speakers)
Will I need anything extra other than what I have mentioned?

thanks in advance.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 12:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

This a Blaupunkt GTA4 Special car amplifier,I recently installed in my friends new M800,sounded really sweet.clear and powerful.the best part is sleek and cheap.

Technical Details
  • 4-channel car amplifier
  • 55 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (85 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
  • 170 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
  • high- and low-pass filters (low-pass 50-250 Hz, 12 dB/octave; high-pass 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
  • selectable bass boost (0, 6, 12 dB at 45 Hz)
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 12:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
1) I would like to keep the existing speakers and just buy an amplifier. My current speakers are, I think 35 watts X 4. So what kind of amp should I be looking for? I am more interested in getting good quality audio than the loud music stuff. I am generally a soft music or classical music kind of listener.

My worry over here is can it damage the existing speakers.
A car audio dealer, I visited was quick to say, i need to replace the speakers as well, or he said ..Phat jayga, udd jayega and all.
I would also recommend what the dealer told you albeit for a diffferent reason. Speakers fitted by companies are of seriously cheap quality so even amplifying them would not improve the sound quality much. Most of the time if you just upgrade the stock speakers the upgrade in sound quality is substantial compared to the stock speakers.

So what you should do first is replace all 4 speaker with better ones like JBL, Hertz or something like that. Listen to these & then decide if you want to amp them & later go for the amp. This way you can do it over a period of time so you don't spend a lot of money at one go.

Also what budget have you kep in mind for the speakers & amp? This way the guru's can guide you towards what brands & models you should look at. Beware though that the guru's are quite fond of blowing-up people's budgets, so tread carefully
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you change the speakers too since you planning for the amp, as even if you buy some entry level JBL coaxials they will not cost all that much and will give some some good performance with the amp. OE speakers cannot suffice.
Don't buy pioneer, as most of the speakers are fake and sony......... Need I say anything ?
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 15:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

i would agree with everyone here...get a speaker upgrade...if possible go for a bigger size like 6.5 inch.....it will improve the sound very much....and get a amp which is in your budget....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 10:54   #6
BHPian

Thanks all,
@iraghava , Since i will be using a PC sound card for the audio purposes,i will be needing an amplifier.
I think i will be buying an amp and 4 speakers now.
Any suggestions what brands i should be looking out for if i have a budget of say 15 - 20 K for amps and 4 speakers, front and rear?
Old 5th March 2007, 11:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

For that budget look at JBL CS 60.4 or Pioneer 6200 amplifiers. For speakers & more details go through this great guide by Navin:

THIS
Old 5th March 2007, 11:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

A pioneer 4 channel amp would cost app 7 k, good quality rear speakers around 5k, components for the front around 8k plus the wiring & installation. should fit around 20k. Else get Sony amp for 5 k & the speakers as suggested.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Gad! The tyre guy is rockin' the ICE section!

@netarchie, 20K is a good budget for speakers & amps. Since you're driving a Ford Fusion, the front & rears will have to be 5"x7" ovals if you're keeping the stock locations.

I have listened to the stock speakers in a Fusion and I beg you, please change them!

Fronts: 5x7" Co-axials from JBL and Blau OR Comps from Hertz.
Rears: --ditto-- (But just use co-axials here)
Amp: As Ishan suggested, a CS60.4 or a Pio 6200 will do fine.
Wiring: 4K (power + RCA)
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 10:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

fusion has 5x7 ??? and if you are serious about music (not sound) do get compos..but then you would have to get it done by a good installer as you may need mods to get a 6.5 compo in ther...
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 11:21   #11
BHPian

Yes, Fusion has 5X7. I have to decide between comps and co-axials for the front and rear speakers.
Amp will be CS60.4.
Old 6th March 2007, 11:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

That part is easy. Components for the front & co-ax for the rear. But this is for if you drive yourself or is yours a chaueffeur driven car?
Old 6th March 2007, 12:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
fusion has 5x7 ??? and if you are serious about music (not sound) do get compos..but then you would have to get it done by a good installer as you may need mods to get a 6.5 compo in ther...
Hertz has 5x7 comps in the Energy series (ESK 570). If you go for them, no modding will be needed. Direct fit in the stock pods.

For a 6.5" or 5.25", some modding (spacer+cutting in the first case and a reducer/adapter in the second case) will be needed.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 19:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Fusion ships with a 5x7" OEM location eh? Thats interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Hertz has 5x7 comps in the Energy series (ESK 570). If you go for them, no modding will be needed. Direct fit in the stock pods.
Lucky! There's a comp in that size too. Netarchie, if it fits your budget you going to have a sweet sounding setup!!
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 09:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
That part is easy. Components for the front & co-ax for the rear. But this is for if you drive yourself or is yours a chaueffeur driven car?
No I drive it myself sir. and yes, i would like to have better SQ at the front, because thats where i am most of the time.

How are the Rockford Forsgate speakers? the audio dealer , I visited yesterday was trying hard to sell the speakers.
Model - P1572C 5"x7" 2-Way Full-Range Speakers

@Hydrashok, any idea who sells hertz in mumbai? Also for comps, does the tweeter fits into the speaker or i have to make place for it seperately somewhere? sorry if the question sounds stupid.
Also what kind (brand) of wiring , i should opt for?

and just out of curiosity, whats so special or not so special about 5x7??
sorry, I have almost no knowledge about car audio?