Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th April 2007, 16:49   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
sir dont I will take out my old notebook in which I have written something about the transformers and will post the right specs of wire thickness and length which you have to use......till then enjoy sunday.....
hi,

waiting waiting. sir ill not kill anyone for a transformer. i was talking about the meet yesterday. im coming to delhi on the 18th. how far is faridabad ? i definitely want to hear your system at work. how are the id max's ? never heard such high end drivers and amps.

cheers
clip

sir please post the specs for transformer quickly otherwise ill definitely kill you. lol. me enjoying sunday.
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 17:00   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

It should be quite easy to get a 0-22V toroidal transformer made in New Delhi. A few questions and a little hot footing around Bhagirath Place should sort you out.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 22:16   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It should be quite easy to get a 0-22V toroidal transformer made in New Delhi. A few questions and a little hot footing around Bhagirath Place should sort you out.
hi,

tell me how to wind a toroidal. do i need 2 wires for +ve and neutral or a single wire with the 2 ends as mains wires? and please reply asap.

cheers clip
Old 17th April 2007, 16:20   #139
BHPian

Quote:
sir dont I will take out my old notebook in which I have written something about the transformers and will post the right specs of wire thickness and length which you have to use......till then enjoy sunday.....
hi lbm,

im still waiting for the details dude. and now im gonna kill you. im coming tomorrow so you better watch out.

navinji can i have your ph. no? this will be much faster. please pm me your no. i need to know things about trannys( transformer you idiots :-)) cant use a smiley. and im not going to repeat this as it too long. ill use the shorter)

cheers
clip

cheers
Old 17th April 2007, 16:56   #140
Senior - BHPian

yaar could not find the notes....but here is some thing which will help......

firstly which wire gauge to use.....thicker the wire more current carrying capacity it can handle.....so it will depend on the final output you require at the output stage....so I will consider some factor as constant...like you require 0-24 volts and that two tappings....and I will assume you will be putting 5 amps load on the winding so the final load will be 10 amps on the secondary......and on the primary you will be getting a load of

10 amperes x 24 volts = 240 VA = 220 volts x 1.09 amperes

so now you will be have your currents value with you.....the primary would be running at 1.09 A and the secondary at 10 A.......here you can select the wire gauge of the same with a little above the rating for the saftey factor.....like 18-19 gauge for the secondary and the 26-27 gauge for the primary......

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits

now the number of turns.....suppose you make 400 turns in the primary and 200 in the secondary and the input voltage is 220 volts then the output will be 110 volts.....because as the number of turns are half the voltage will also get half......so if you plan to get 22 volts then you will require to do....40 turns to get the required voltage.....

Turns-> volts
400 -> 220
200 -> 110
100 -> 55
50 -> 27.5
40 -> 22

Hope you understand a bit....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 17:18   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
im still waiting for the details dude. and now im gonna kill you. im coming tomorrow so you better watch out

navinji can i have your ph. no? this will be much faster. please pm me your no. i need to know things about trannys( transformer you idiots :-))
Clip, just a bit of brotherly advice. You're not going to make too many friends here if you keep wanting to kill them.
And certainly not if you call everyone idiots.

We love humour, but do be nice and try and find that line you cannot cross.

And Navin is here to help you, but he is a busy man. He logs on when free, you may end up calling him when he isn't.
You can get advice from Navin here, or PM him. I am sure he will reply as soon as he has time.
Take it easy then, will you? Cheers.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 17:20   #142
BHPian

Quote:
yaar could not find the notes....but here is some thing which will help......

firstly which wire gauge to use.....thicker the wire more current carrying capacity it can handle.....so it will depend on the final output you require at the output stage....so I will consider some factor as constant...like you require 0-24 volts and that two tappings....and I will assume you will be putting 5 amps load on the winding so the final load will be 10 amps on the secondary......and on the primary you will be getting a load of

10 amperes x 24 volts = 240 VA = 220 volts x 1.09 amperes

so now you will be have your currents value with you.....the primary would be running at 1.09 A and the secondary at 10 A.......here you can select the wire gauge of the same with a little above the rating for the saftey factor.....like 18-19 gauge for the secondary and the 26-27 gauge for the primary......

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits

now the number of turns.....suppose you make 400 turns in the primary and 200 in the secondary and the input voltage is 220 volts then the output will be 110 volts.....because as the number of turns are half the voltage will also get half......so if you plan to get 22 volts then you will require to do....40 turns to get the required voltage.....

Turns-> volts
400 -> 220
200 -> 110
100 -> 55
50 -> 27.5
40 -> 22

Hope you understand a bit....
thanks alot man. pease also let me know how to wire. as in 400 turns of 1 wire? wont it trip the circuit breaker in my house?? what i mean is 1 side will be +ve input and the other end neutral?? im really confused as to use 2 wires for - + or a single wire?? and reply fast as im all set to wind it.

cheers

clip
Old 17th April 2007, 17:28   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks alot man. pease also let me know how to wire. as in 400 turns of 1 wire? wont it trip the circuit breaker in my house?? what i mean is 1 side will be +ve input and the other end neutral?? im really confused as to use 2 wires for - + or a single wire?? and reply fast as im all set to wind it.

cheers

clip
Sir....Sir....Sir.....firstly one thing very important....in AC there is no + or - .......there is only phase and neutral.......there can a 3 - phases but no - or +....so I dont understand your question.......

and why would 400 turns of 1 wire would trip the MCB.......also the two wire ends would be the neutral and phase.....
Old 17th April 2007, 21:19   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Sir....Sir....Sir.....firstly one thing very important....in AC there is no + or - .......there is only phase and neutral.......there can a 3 - phases but no - or +....so I dont understand your question.......

and why would 400 turns of 1 wire would trip the MCB.......also the two wire ends would be the neutral and phase.....
sir i dont know the terms thats why im using +-. what i want to know is there will be 2 wires from the manis so do i have to wind 2 wires and join there ends or a single wire whose ends will connect to the mains? i hope im clear this time. if no please let me kno your number ill give you a call. its urgent.

cheers

if you can call my no is 98723t66634
Old 17th April 2007, 23:18   #145
Senior - BHPian

a little busy will you tomm......ASAP....
Old 18th April 2007, 10:16   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
navinji, can you give me a suggestion how to wind a toroidal? ia a little confused. one wire of the original primary was really long and the second one was quite short.
I am sorry I did NOT read your post properly I did not noitce that you said the primary is short.

In all single step, step down transformers (like yours) the primary wire will be much longer than the seconrdary. If I am right the primary wire would aboue 8 times longer. read this primer Transformers Part 1 - Beginners' Guide to Electronics and this small PDF http://www.q-tran.com/pdf/the_toroid_truth.pdf

this is how guys like miracle electronics winds theirs SMC-2 Picture and here are some design tools SWITCHER.NATIONAL.COM - Simple Switchers, Switching Regulators, Buck Converters,Buck-Boost

as you can see that winding a torroid is a time consuming process unless you have some ratheer special machinery.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 10:26   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You can get advice from Navin here, or PM him..
Thanks Sam. Clip feel free to PM me. I log on when I am free and my life is kinda crazy. I really wish I could log on more. This forum does de-stress me a lot.

If you want 220V on the primary and 22V on the secondary the turn ratio would be 220:22 or 10:1. Now you have to determine what the VA of the secondary need be. If you want 220VA then you need secondary wire that can hanlde 10A (220VA / 22V). Your primary wire will be a lot thinner (it need only carry 1A). This is as simple as I can make it. As Sam can tell you I am doing my best to keep it simple.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:43   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
as you can see that winding a torroid is a time consuming process unless you have some ratheer special machinery.

I would second that......get a ready made one....dont go in the hassle of winding one or there can be any accident.........and your are going to make a AMP....not a Transformer........
Old 20th April 2007, 17:45   #149
BHPian

hi,

i managed to wind the toroid...it took me like 15 hours at a stretch. i tested it on the mains. i wound a thick secondry with quite a few turns. it was giving me 14v. i think its working fine. me in delhi rightnow so ill wind the secondaries when i go back. thanks for your advice guys. it really helped me. and lbm the transformer is also a part of the amp.

sam, just chill. well im sorry for that. and i hope lbm knows its just a joke. i was in a real hurry as i had to leave for delhi next morning, thats why i asked the number.

lbm are you free?? wanted to hear your ice. if not possible nevermind

cheers

clip
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:22   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i managed to wind the toroid...it took me like 15 hours at a stretch.
It would have taken you less time to find a suitbale transformer. Anyway you have now doine something even I have not.. wound a torroid yourself.