Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th April 2007, 10:36   #166
Team-BHP Support

I got my Philips scope, Rhode and Schwartz (R&S) , and Fluke DMMs with me when I migrated back to India from the US/Germany. I spent all of the 80s and some of the 90s outside India.

I use a Soldron soldering station and they are quite good. Dont think i need better. I also have some high watt (25W and 100W) soldering irons for some heavier cables and connectors but for most of your work a simple station will be adequate.

I got my Gould DSO (Digital OscilloScope) from L&T when I fist came to India in 92-93. I think I paid about 1.5L for that.

Most simple scopes do not have distortion meters (that is what I have the R&S for). But you should not worry too much about that. I would rather you spend a good accurate freq. generator (my R&S does that for me).

BTW I dont do much work myself nowdasys.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 10:41   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
navinji, lbm ji... please give me some knowledge about scopes etc. i would like to know what kind of scope should i buy for audio system testing like distortion etc?
A regular scope willl do fine. I dont know all the brands available iin India but HP and Phiilips make good scopes. Gould is rather expensive. Even a small protable scope will be adequate.

I dont know too much about the Internet and Ebay so I cant help you much there. The only places I shop from is Amazon or the big sites which have Brick and Mortar presence like Toys'R'US, Crutchfield, J&R Music World, B&H Photo Video, Holabird Sports, etc...people I know I can trust with my Credit info.
Old 15th June 2007, 18:23   #168
BHPian

hi,

i think its time for me to buy a True RMS DMM, LCR meter and an inductance meter. can anyone help me with the prices and availability? sorry for asking again but i have to. :-) do the above mentioned meters come in a single device? it will be great if the above meters are available in delhi or NCR.

navinji, are these available in mumbai? do you know any one(shops etc) who can courier it to me?(ill pay in advance or however the seller wants the payment)

LBM paaji, please find out if you can :-)

thanks in advance
clip
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 23:39   #169
BHPian

DMMs should be available for Rs 1000 if you want to buy decent brands like Meco, Hung Chang etc. I paid Rs 1400 for a Meco DMM about nine years back. I bought an LCR meter (Mastech make) for Rs 1900. I suppose there are more brands to choose from nowadays.

And I don't see why these things should not be available in Jalandhar.

I am planning to build the Quasi complementary amplifier for my car sub, home theatre project.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 10th July 2007 at 23:42.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 00:01   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis View Post
I am planning to build the Quasi complementary amplifier for my car sub, home theatre project.
Whoa! Long time no see! Quite appropriate that you come back from hibernation in a DIY thread Profile pic also new and improved?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 14:52   #171
BHPian

I was not doing much for some time now. But it's just Go! Go! Go! from now on.
Old 19th July 2007, 14:02   #172
BHPian

Hello everybody,

I am just jumping to the subject. 4 yrs back, I build a pair of MOSFET amps for my home bookshelf speakers (2.1 system), and result was good. But due to small heat sink, MOSFETS blown. Then I trashed that boards.

Recently two year back I got to know this site 41Hz audio amp kits. Sounds good to me! Tripath based amplifiers for DIY:ers. and buit amp1 for home. But I can see there are many amps which are for Car specific needs, means operated on 12V, 24VDC single mode PS. Only disadvantage is that these are PWM amps and produce interferrence if not shielded/isolated well from tuners.

Happy DIYing!
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 18:53   #173
BHPian

Quote:
DMMs should be available for Rs 1000 if you want to buy decent brands like Meco, Hung Chang etc. I paid Rs 1400 for a Meco DMM about nine years back. I bought an LCR meter (Mastech make) for Rs 1900. I suppose there are more brands to choose from nowadays.

And I don't see why these things should not be available in Jalandhar.

hi,

nothing is available here. im really fed up of not getting the components i require. no polyester caps, no transformers(torroidal) no true rms dmm, lcr meters. although the electronics market is quite huge, no one keeps good stuff. the best caps available here are keltron electrolytic.

ok, let me ask you something. i have an elna electrolytic cap 50v 10000ufd but i doubt its original. how much should it cost? i got it for 100 bucks i guess. can it be original?

cheers
clip
Old 19th July 2007, 19:45   #174
BHPian

Make a list of parts needed and sms me clip.
I'll enquire from here. Especially from friends going engg. in electronics.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 20:51   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Make a list of parts needed and sms me clip.
I'll enquire from here. Especially from friends going engg. in electronics.
ill do that ss. thanks alot man.

cheers
clip
Old 19th July 2007, 23:09   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have an elna electrolytic cap 50v 10000ufd but i doubt its original. how much should it cost? i got it for 100 bucks i guess. can it be original?
Sound right if you picked up 1 piece. It has to be original, because the low margin in making duplicate capacitors can recovered only if it is a very commonly used item and the volumes justify that.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 10:29   #177
BHPian

Default Toroidal transformers in India

Quote:
hi,

nothing is available here. im really fed up of not getting the components i require. no polyester caps, no transformers(torroidal)
Hi clip, you can check at this site -: MIRACLE :- and look for the required transformer. Its located in Bangalore. I bought 2 X (22-0-22, 160 VA), toroids from them. It cost Rs 1100 + courier charges. Quality is also good and voltage is very accurate. Your requirement can be matched somewhere in there product list. Good luck!
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 11:00   #178
Team-BHP Support

I can second Miracle. Excellent stuff. Excellent service. They know what they are doing.
Old 20th July 2007, 12:41   #179
BHPian

I guess a 44-0-44V 700VA toroidal from Miracle would cost me the heaven and earth.

Omishra, which amp did you build and how much power does it put out?

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 20th July 2007 at 12:42.
Old 20th July 2007, 13:04   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess a 44-0-44V 700VA toroidal from Miracle would cost me the heaven and earth.
not really vivek. if they did would i have got my power trannies shipped from bangy to mumbai.

yes they are not cheap but in the long run it pays to have good parts. certainly for what they offer (service and product) they are not expensive.