Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th April 2007, 09:33   #121
Team-BHP Support

clip, check out stuff like CALSOD, CLIO, LspCad, etc.. just palying with them will help a lot.

also regarding the LM3886 and 4780 some new info is here...

diyAudio Forums - Paralleling LM4780/3886: any impact on sound quality?

Last edited by navin : 11th April 2007 at 09:51.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 16:01   #122
BHPian

HI,

navinji, i have a toroidal transformer with me. the primary winding is short. i already removed the secondaries. the specs are - 220-240 primary. sec1 0-32v. sec2 0-32v. its made by doughnut transformers model no. alpine/pt/n4. just wanted to ask if i could rewind it myself? want around 22-0v sec. if you want anymore details pls let me know.

im not getting the transformer here so thats why the diy winding. :-)

cheer

clip.
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 19:42   #123
BHPian

hi navin,

just unwind the primary. 1 lenght is very small and one is very very large. the large one weighs aroung half a kg. do i need to wind the same kind of wire again or can i go with thicker wire with less turns? will it effect the power output? please let me know. the toroidal core itself weighs around 2.6 kgs with around 5 inches dia.

cheers

clip
Old 12th April 2007, 22:56   #124
Senior - BHPian

if the torodial is having 0-220 volt primary and secondary is 0-32 volts then the winding in the primary will be a thin wire as you will be needing a lots of turn so that the current across the wire becomes less....if the wire will be thick and short the primary current will increase....and the secondary winding would be a thick one and will be lesser turn as the voltage your require is less and current required is more....

one more thing if there are equal number of turns in the primary and the secondary and there is no heat loss and eddy losses then the output will be same as the input......this is the basics of a transformer.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 04:26   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
if the torodial is having 0-220 volt primary and secondary is 0-32 volts then the winding in the primary will be a thin wire as you will be needing a lots of turn so that the current across the wire becomes less....
paaji,

how do you know all this stuff? :-) i really impressed lbm. hehe. yes the primary is thin and really loooooooong. it took me 2 hours to unwind.

lbm, dont know what type of core is it cause its covered with some plastic stuff. its like cello tape without adhesive. is this thing available here?

if i use thick wire with lesser turns, will the amperage suffer alto?? do i have to calculate the the turns for the secondry? and can i wind dual secs?

thank
clip.

OT- im coming to delhi on the 16th. would love to hear you ultra low bass making machine if you permit.
Old 13th April 2007, 13:02   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
the specs are - 220-240 primary. sec1 0-32v. sec2 0-32v....want around 22-0v sec..
you got a 0-32V sec that you want to reduce to 0-22V. well in that case just remove 1/3 of the turns of the secondary winding.
Old 13th April 2007, 13:39   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
you got a 0-32V sec that you want to reduce to 0-22V. well in that case just remove 1/3 of the turns of the secondary winding.
navinji,

the primary is short. the insulation on the wire gave way. didnt read my post properly did you?

so what i have now is a core. the primary which i removed was about half a kg. it was a thin wire. what do you suggest now. should i post the dimensions of the core?

cheers

clip
Old 13th April 2007, 13:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
paaji,

how do you know all this stuff? :-) i really impressed lbm. hehe. yes the primary is thin and really loooooooong. it took me 2 hours to unwind.

lbm, dont know what type of core is it cause its covered with some plastic stuff. its like cello tape without adhesive. is this thing available here?

if i use thick wire with lesser turns, will the amperage suffer alto?? do i have to calculate the the turns for the secondry? and can i wind dual secs?

thank
clip.

OT- im coming to delhi on the 16th. would love to hear you ultra low bass making machine if you permit.
The plastic thing I would presume to be white in colour....it is for insulation for the core and the copper wire so that they dont come with direct contact with each other....

Yes you can use thick wire but lesser turn but this will reduce the voltage and the increase the current carring capacity in the secondary.....

ya you can do the dual secondary winding to take out to tapping out of the core.....

Sir if you can make it but tomm then you can meet lots of delhi boy`s including some D-Bhpians......so try to make it tomm it self....and we can surely can discuss a lots of thing about ICE, AMP, etc.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Yes that can be done but the amperage will also drop.......but I wold suggest a good voltage regulater to drop the voltage from 32 to 22 volts as the power supply will get quite a good headroom in the supply side and the 22 which will be supplied will be quite clean.....
Old 14th April 2007, 10:52   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes that can be done but the amperage will also drop.......but I wold suggest a good voltage regulater to drop the voltage from 32 to 22 volts as the power supply will get quite a good headroom in the supply side and the 22 which will be supplied will be quite clean.....
why would the amps drop?

but your second suggestion is better. I had thought of it but figred that clip has a a regulator that needs 22v not 32V. Getting a bigger regulator is actually the better idea, just more expensive especially if clip alteady has a smaller one.
Old 14th April 2007, 12:32   #130
BHPian

hi,

navinji, can you give me a suggestion how to wind a toroidal? ia a little confused. one wire of the original primary was really long and the second one was quite short. how and where do i start from and how to pass yhe wire from the centre? on what should i put the wire so that its easy to pass from the centre? any ideas?

cheers
clip
Old 14th April 2007, 12:51   #131
Senior - BHPian

the short one if for the two voltage tapings....like it would 0-220,240 volts...so for the 20 volts difference the short length of the winding is used.....
Old 14th April 2007, 16:58   #132
BHPian

Quote:
the short one if for the two voltage tapings....like it would 0-220,240 volts...so for the 20 volts difference the short length of the winding is used.....
hi,

do i need to wind the shorter wire? can you tell me when i finish winding the primary there will be 2 ends of wire will it be + and - ? please paaji thoda gyaan borrow kar sakta hun? lol

thanks for taking the pain to explain
you and navinji are my only hope.
i couldnt find anything on the net.

cheers

clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 14th April 2007 at 16:59.
Old 15th April 2007, 03:31   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi,

do i need to wind the shorter wire? can you tell me when i finish winding the primary there will be 2 ends of wire will it be + and - ? please paaji thoda gyaan borrow kar sakta hun? lol
clip

In a transformer there is no + or - as it is a AC device not a DC one....you can drop the shorter wire as it will not be needed as you will be running it at 220 volts.....

I would say wind the primary winding like it was as before and then put the white insulation tape and then the secondary winding with the thick wire....and you can put two winding in the secondary as you wil be requiring the -24 , 0 , +24 voltages......

Transformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the above page very nice info is given.....
Old 15th April 2007, 05:07   #134
BHPian

Quote:
In a transformer there is no + or - as it is a AC device not a DC one....you can drop the shorter wire as it will not be needed as you will be running it at 220 volts.....

I would say wind the primary winding like it was as before and then put the white insulation tape and then the secondary winding with the thick wire....and you can put two winding in the secondary as you wil be requiring the -24 , 0 , +24 voltages......

Transformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the above page very nice info is given.....
hi,

sirji the problem is im confused how i unwound the wir. i think one wire had 2 ends joined and the other(small) was also like this. yaar i think i mixed up primary with the scondary. all i remember now is that the sec had 82 turns and it was 16 swg. the primary was 19swg.

ill kill all of you who are attending the meet. me jealous.

cheer
clip
Old 15th April 2007, 15:51   #135
Senior - BHPian

sir dont I will take out my old notebook in which I have written something about the transformers and will post the right specs of wire thickness and length which you have to use......till then enjoy sunday.....