Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 5th June 2008, 11:29   #316
Senior - BHPian

^^

very difficult to get one's hands on, much like the Helix player (what looks like a modified Ural).
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 13:31   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why not a PC running Linux with a conventional HU front plate in 1DIN size? Actually, this was made about 6 years back, minus a CD drive - and then everyone complained that it couldn't play CDs!!! You can't satisfy everyone - predictably it did not reach production.

Or is hacking the main objective? ;-)
6 years back we did not have 4 GB Pen drives for 1k so CDs were essential.

And a PC (or PC like thing ARM/XScale et el) that runs a "Hackable" firmware + form factor of HU + remote will be Nirvana.

People have hacked custom code even into Cannon powershot, hopefully some has done something similar for some brand of HU.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 08:44   #318
BHPian

Default Need some help in Delhi/Gurgaon

I have recently relocated to Gurgaon and need some help with my ICE set up. I picked up a Carolla HE (Thats the best my company would buy for me) and am looking for a good place to pick up a Alpine 9887 HU. Need info on where in Delhi/Gurgaon I can pick this up and at what price. Not very specific about B/W.

I also will need help with a good installer, Am not too much of a DIY kind of a guy when it come to ICE.

Here what I have (some of it will be up in the TBHP market place soon)

Fusion Powerplant Components
Fusion 6'' Coaxials - (will be in the market place for sure)
Kicker 4 channel Amplifier
Fusion Monoblock
Kenwood 5 band Graphic (picked it up cos HU in my City had only one pre out) - (Not sure if I need it with a good HU)
Fusion Active cross over module (Too complicated for me - contemplating)
Any help - Guidance - coments appreciated...............................
Sheshagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 15:16   #319
Team-BHP Support

Why did you choose Fusion?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 17:58   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why did you choose Fusion?
A good friend of mine who is kind of understands music ( he owns a car accessories store in BLR)had it in his car and it sounded better than anything I had heard before.

The price he offered it to me for was simply brilliant (Cant disclose on the forum for obvious reasons). I am using the powerplant series components and coaxials and I am very happy with the way it performs. I was using Rockford Fosgates b4 this and found Fusion to be better sounding.
Old 7th June 2008, 19:43   #321
Senior - BHPian

What is the real difference between Eclipse HUs - 7100, 7200 and the new 7200 MK2 (which doesn't have built-in amps like the other famous copper-plated-chassis second cousin the HX-D2)?

Also, how is the Eclipse 8445 as compared to the 7x00 series? Cheaper, but has better specs than the others!

Last edited by DerAlte : 7th June 2008 at 19:49.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 23:57   #322
BHPian

I finally to have everything put together in to my car and in the bargain met up with a few wonderful people in Gurgon, Autopyche helped me choose the right Ampkit and speaker wires. His guys did a brilliant job on the install. Didnt even have to buy the new 6x9 I was planning to.
And then came the magician - Gunbir and his magic touch. Made me feel the 3 hours I spent tuning was such a waste. 10 minutes in to the car- and my Car sounds WOW.

Gunbir - I fiddled around a little more and managed to turn off the HU inbuilt amplifier. The music sounds even more crisp now.
The next time I get my incentives - I will come to you for some advise a better Monoblock and a Sub.
Old 26th June 2008, 11:16   #323
Senior - BHPian

Well Gurus i have a doubt. My friends car was broken into and the system was stolen. The panel was saved as he had taken it out while locking his car. So is there any place where only the system can be purchased without the front panel? He had a Pioneer system.
Thanks
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 22:21   #324
pt7
BHPian

Default Prices of Alpine Units

HI All

Following are the prices of Alpine quoted in Chennai - are these prices okay or am I being fleeced?

Without Bill & Warranty:
9887 - 18k
9886 - 16k
9884 - 12.5 k

With Bill and Warranty:
9887 - 21990
9886 - 16590
9884 - 13690

The guy promised some discount on top of this - I assume it to be in range of 10%

Also - what are the major differences between these 3 systems? Which ones would guruz suggest?
pt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 23:33   #325
Senior - BHPian

There is a post on this thread where I listed a few differences. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...da-9886-a.html Also if you know someone coming back from the US, you can get good deals on Alpines from there.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 23:55   #326
pt7
BHPian

Question Confused More

Alpine Electronics of Asia Pacific Co., Ltd. site has done its best to leave it extremely vague. Out of the 3 models 9887/9886/9884E - only 9887 has full features listed (Not sure whether they have not listed featues of 9886/9884E ==or whether these models do not have those features.)

For example all goodies like:
MultEQ / HPF / LPF FIlters / 5 band parametric and 7 band graphic equalizers / are listed as part of IMPRINT Technology == this is only built in for 9887. The other 2 models are 'IMPRINT READY' does that mean that i dont get all those with any of these 2 models? If so - how come they charge 13k and 16k for these 2 models - which to me looks like (Featurewise) equivalnent of a 5k model in any other vendor!!!

I am attaching a pic here from their catalogue...

I am going crazy with this stuff - some one put me out of misery!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Prices of HEAD UNITS-pic-1.jpg  

Prices of HEAD UNITS-pic-2.jpg  

Prices of HEAD UNITS-pic-3.jpg  

pt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 02:37   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is the real difference between Eclipse HUs - 7100, 7200 and the new 7200 MK2 (which doesn't have built-in amps like the other famous copper-plated-chassis second cousin the HX-D2)?
Sorry, the HX-D2 doesn't have any inbuilt amplification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
I finally to have everything put together in to my car and in the bargain met up with a few wonderful people in Gurgon, Autopyche helped me choose the right Ampkit and speaker wires. His guys did a brilliant job on the install. Didnt even have to buy the new 6x9 I was planning to.

And then came the magician - Gunbir and his magic touch. Made me feel the 3 hours I spent tuning was such a waste. 10 minutes in to the car- and my Car sounds WOW.

Gunbir - I fiddled around a little more and managed to turn off the HU inbuilt amplifier. The music sounds even more crisp now.
I must have overlooked switching off the internal amp, great you did it. I am always available for any help you may need. And there was no magic... it was just simple tuning. Enjoy the music!
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 11:08   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Sorry, the HX-D2 doesn't have any inbuilt amplification.
How many HUs are there that have NO inbuilt amplification AND are ipod/Mp3 compatible?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 15:38   #329
BHPian

@pt7 - You could follow this link to compare 9887/ 6/ 5.
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.[]=CDA-9887&model[]=CDA-9886&model[]=CDA-9885&source=/US-en/products/series-c.php&category=AV_HU

Last edited by nura : 28th June 2008 at 15:44.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 07:15   #330
BANNED

Anyone aware of the prices, both grey market and with B & W, of the following Alpine HUs :
CDE-9873
CDE-9881
CDA-9884.

Over and above the cost of the HU, does the KCE-422i iPod cable from Alpine need to be purchased for another 2K, with all the 3 models?

Thanks
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote