Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd December 2012, 11:54   #931
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Prices of HEAD UNITS

Guys i am thinking of buying Pioneer MVH 355BT, this is supposedly the starting one with BT. I dont use CD, so this is perfectly fine for me. Just wanna know if anyone is using this and how good a HU is this.

Price is 6k.

http://www.pioneer-india.in/shop/mvh-355bt/
Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 19:22   #932
BHPian

This HU Alpine IDA X305S seems to have taken a major price dip @crutchfield! 179$
Is it worthwhile getting this (via friends travelling)
A slightly lower model IDA X300 is available on ebay for 8k.
Suggestions?
sultanofswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 13:48   #933
BHPian

Hey guys! Not clued in much to the ICE scene for a while now, but a new addition to the family (i20 Magna 1.2) has brought back the bug in me.

What would be the lowest double din HU (don't want a touchscreen, dvd and even a CD for that matter) cost? Something which would integrate nicely like the OEM one (OEM costs 27k I have been told ).

Planning on components for the front & rear. Wondering whether this do fine? How much of a dent will that make to my wallet? I mostly listen to rock, bollywood & some punjabi music.

I plan to add an amp and a sub sometime later depending on the cashflows.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 16:04   #934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
What would be the lowest double din HU (don't want a touchscreen, dvd and even a CD for that matter) cost? Something which would integrate nicely like the OEM one (OEM costs 27k I have been told ).
27K is a lot for abut 10K you should get the JVC's XG56T2.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 17:34   #935
BHPian

Greetings

Where can I get an ALpine iDA-X305S in Bangalore and how much does it cost? Dos it come with a removeable face plate? How does it last in dusty conditions?

Thanks
--R
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 19:24   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
27K is a lot for abut 10K you should get the JVC's XG56T2.
Now that you mentioned, I feel it really is pretty high. I think it maybe for the full setup including the speakers et al.

Was doing some desk research and found JVC's KW-XR816 and the Sony WX-GT90BT. How much do they cost and which one would be a better pick (VFM i.e.)
Old 21st January 2013, 09:41   #937
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that you mentioned, I feel it really is pretty high. I think it maybe for the full setup including the speakers et al.

Was doing some desk research and found JVC's KW-XR816 and the Sony WX-GT90BT. How much do they cost and which one would be a better pick (VFM i.e.)
Market prices are something I know nothing about. They vary too much and the models change faster than I change my shrits. It is best to make a feature list and then listen to a few that have the features you desire.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 10:56   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys! Not clued in much to the ICE scene for a while now, but a new addition to the family (i20 Magna 1.2) has brought back the bug in me.

Hi sinner666, i was actually on the lookout for the same and found a couple of head units . Check out the following links :-

1)JVC KW-R400 , this guys is selling it for 7,999 on ebay .

http://www.ebay.in/itm/JVC-KW-R400-D...item416fe58777

2)Kenwood DPX-U5120, its available for 8,840 again on ebay

http://www.ebay.in/itm/KENWOOD-DPX-U...ht_3746wt_1139

P.S. Im in no way involved with the sellers of these products and/or ebay.in.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:48   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Hi sinner666, i was actually on the lookout for the same and found a couple of head units . Check out the following links :-

1)JVC KW-R400 , this guys is selling it for 7,999 on ebay .

http://www.ebay.in/itm/JVC-KW-R400-D...item416fe58777

2)Kenwood DPX-U5120, its available for 8,840 again on ebay

http://www.ebay.in/itm/KENWOOD-DPX-U...ht_3746wt_1139

P.S. Im in no way involved with the sellers of these products and/or ebay.in.
They look really good, especially the JVC unit, hooked on by the BT. Anyone has any actual feedback on these two HUs?

Also, any experience of buying HUs over the internet? Anything particular I need to watch out for?
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:43   #940
Senior - BHPian

I've booked a Ritz ZDi and it comes with a factory installed CD/music system which plays audio cd's and has usb input.

I want to upgrade the HU and here are my requirements:

- should play movies via dvd or portable hdd or usb/thumb drive

- touchscreen not a necessity

- if the HU can be integrated with a reverse camera then its an added bonus

- support navigation (not a must have, on my wishlist for now, will take a call depending on the price of the unit)

- support bluetooth functions on my phone such as music, calls, etc.

- should have subwoofer controls

- the car will come with steering remote, so the HU should be able to work with this

P.S. I am a noob in this area since it's my first time purchasing a high end gizmo like this. Please excuse any silly queries and share your comments and suggestions.

What else should i look for in terms of features?

I am not conscious of the brand name so any good brand will do as long as i am able to get product support here in Bangalore. Could you please list the products that fit my need along with indicated prices?

thanks in advance.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:29   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
... Ritz ZDi and it comes with a factory installed CD/music system which plays audio cd's and has usb input.

I want to upgrade the HU and here are my requirements: ...
IMHO you should replace HU AND the front speakers. The HU is likely to cost 18-25K (depending on model & features; Pioneer / JVC / Kenwood). Front components ~6K. Later, damping and maybe an amp.

- should play movies via dvd or portable hdd or usb/thumb drive: default features nowadays with 2DIN touchscreen HUs

- touchscreen not a necessity: Not sure ... there may be a couple without touchscreen, but quite rare - touchscreen is default, otherwise you get 2DIN without a screen. You need to search

- if the HU can be integrated with a reverse camera then its an added bonus: Should be possible via Aux Video-in and Reverse Switch connection (for auto switching)

- support navigation : jacks up the cost by 15K at least! Look for Kenwood with built-in Garmin, or Pioneer / JVC with external GPS interface (box that hides away in the dash)

- support bluetooth functions on my phone such as music, calls, etc.: should be present by default. Calls definitely, but music is not preferable - response suffers as compared to USB connection

- should have subwoofer controls: Not sure. Will be present if there are 3 Pre-outs, or 2 with the rear one switchable (Pio usually)

- the car will come with steering remote, so the HU should be able to work with this: Check the manual for cars supported. Otherwise, you may need an interposing box

Check with Satya (EVO, Cambridge Layout) - he will be able to give you sources and exact costs. Or Thouqeer (Auto Fusion) or Anwar (Top Gear)
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:02   #942

Hi Guys!! This is my first post in Team-BHP!! Have been following some amazing posts, and finally time for me to ask something tangible for my car. I have a 2011 Skoda Laura DSG Ambiente. I travel a lot, and even though I am quite satisfied with the SQ of the speakers, the HU leaves a lot to be desired. I am looking at a new HU with these specific requirements. Once again, I am quite a newbie here, so please excuse me if I end up missing out something.

~ The HU should have a touch screen.
~ DVD player with USB, SD card, Aux input and Bluetooth to connect my phone to.
~ Navigation is a must
~ The screen should be good with atleast 480 x 800 pixels
~ The HU should support backseat screens. I will not be installing them right now, but for later expansion.
~ My budget is ~50k

I am in Jaipur. I went to quite a few stores here. All the stores told me about the Mapmyindia AVN system, and said this is the only one that would meet my requirements and will fit in Laura. Quoted price is around 41K, but the issue is that the unit is only available on order. It will take them a good 10 days to procure the unit, and by then I will be in Delhi. Is it better to check out stores in Delhi, or stick to Jaipur? Also, what are other options that I could look at (for eg., order a unit online, and get it installed or something)? Thanks for helping me out!!

Last edited by aayushbaheti : 23rd January 2013 at 17:03.
aayushbaheti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 15:00   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushbaheti View Post
... The HU should have a touch screen.
~ DVD player with USB, SD card, Aux input and Bluetooth to connect my phone to.
~ Navigation is a must ...
The MMI unit reliability has not been tested, but it will definitely not have the quality that other manufacturers are able to maintain. Sound quality is expected to be very ordinary - no different from the USB/SD card based HUs which are a favorite of taxi drivers.

Look for the following:
- Kenwood DNX5360/5380 (6.1" screen) or DNX 7360/7380 (7" screen) (built-in navigation)
- JVC KW-AV60BT/70BT + Mapmyindia Bx100 Navi-box for JVC
- Pioneer AVH-P3390BT or P4490BT + Mapmyindia Bx200 Navi-box for Pioneer

Search on the net for the India HO / dealers, the nearest for you would be in Delhi or Gurgaon. Call them and ask them if they can ship you one, or if they have a direct dealer in Jaipur. For the MMI box, you can talk to MMI directly - they will ship you the add-on box.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 16:10   #944
BHPian

Can anybody tell me how much Pioneer FH-X559UI retails for? The MRP on the website is 8990/-. A shop here offered it to me for 7.9k. Is this good enough?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 21:37   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The MMI unit reliability has not been tested, but it will definitely not have the quality that other manufacturers are able to maintain.
============
For the MMI box, you can talk to MMI directly - they will ship you the add-on box.
Thanks for the reply DerAlte. Ok, now a barrage of some stupid newbie questions from my side, so please bear with it.

1. I thought MMI was the Audi system?
2. Will these systems fit in the Laura's existing HU space or will some modifications have to be made?
3. If I take the recommendations that you have made to the Kenwood/Pioneer/JVC store (along with the map my india navi box recommendation), would they be able to help me directly there, or will I need to make those purchases separately, go to the store and ask them to hook it up?

I just want to make sure that I don't screw it up. Its a gift that my wife wants to give me, and if I screw it up, well, everyone knows what happens then.
aayushbaheti is offline   Reply With Quote