Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th April 2007, 20:34   #1
BHPian

Default Does heat effect the head unit?

Hello People,

Problem, i have a pioneer deh p6800mp. Lately when heat has arrived in Hyd. i've noticed that the cd does not come out properly.. comes out very slowly after a 45 min hr drive in my car. at times it comes out just quater inch size of the cd and get stuck. i have to pull it out. Then again yesterday after a 1/2 hr drive. The cd does not come out!!!. I had to wait unitll eveing for the cd to come out. Is this the normal behaviour of head units during summer? i know that at times the rubber tends to heat up but why now... i never used to face such issues before. Once i played my head unit for 3 hrs with a 15 min break. i had no problem.

Please Help

P.S :- My car is always parked in the shade, never in the sun.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

It used to happen in my pioneer headunit as well...just get it serviced, it solves it for sometime atleast, it used to start happening again in a month or so.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 00:51   #3
BHPian

It is not a problem caused by heat, but one caused by dust and wear and tear of the parts involved. It would typically happen if you have a reasonably old HU and/or drive with your windows rolled down and/or have an open-slot front-loading system, etc.
WoodenKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 04:19   #4
BHPian

By the way, as a clarification, when I say the above, I'm not totally discounting out the heat factor which indeed does still have a role to play in at least 'puffing' up the innards which are mainly suffering from what I wrote before.
Old 17th April 2007, 10:37   #5
BHPian

it happens to my sony head unit tooo.. i think this happens when it's too dusty and hot..The system finds it hard to read the cd than in a clean environment..
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 13:02   #6
BHPian

I would also suspect the CD, bad quality CDs loose their stiff characteristic in the heat and will not be that easy to slide in and out of the slot.

If your car is always parked in the shade, i would also get the HU checked up for overheating, thats certainly possible.

cheers.
ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 13:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
If your car is always parked in the shade, i would also get the HU checked up for overheating, thats certainly possible.

cheers.
Why do you say that ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 13:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Electronics are always designed with an operating temperature range. In that sense a HU is as sensitive or not, depending on the PoV, as any household electronics.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 14:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
I would also suspect the CD, bad quality CDs loose their stiff characteristic in the heat and will not be that easy to slide in and out of the slot.

cheers.

Only Sony and Phillips cds i use.. my cd's are always in wav and never mp3 format. anybody know any pioneer service station in hyd?

Last edited by nosfreak : 17th April 2007 at 14:27.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 15:20   #10
BHPian

Boss, the problem is due to dust particles inside the unit. It just needs cleaning. I don't know of any Pioneer service center in hyd, but ideally any of the after-market fitters should be able to help you as they fit HUs and either have a minor issue servicing guy who can help or can direct you to the correct people.
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 05:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenKnight View Post
It is not a problem caused by heat, but one caused by dust and wear and tear of the parts involved. It would typically happen if you have a reasonably old HU and/or drive with your windows rolled down and/or have an open-slot front-loading system, etc.
Does this problem occur only in the case of a front loading HU ?

Does the HU which is having a CD Tray mechanism free from this problem ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 10:09   #12
BANNED

This is caused due to dust. Not much to worry about the heat. HUs do get a bit hot while used for long periods as any other electronic device. If you really suspect the heat being very high, then get it checked.

You'll have to clean the rubber belts/parts which deliver/pull in the cds. That can also be done as a DIY job if you're comfortable with opening things up, poking all the right places and screwing it back without any leftovers. If not, then a nearby electronic guy may help you.
I am sure there'll be an authorised Pioneer service centre somewhere in Hyd. Contact your installer.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 16:50   #13
BHPian

@mithun: No, it does not happen only in case of a front loading HU -- I did not intend to imply that. Oops, huh? :P

What I do mean though is that the problem has a higher incidence in such HUs especially when people drive with windows down because of the ease in which dust is able to get into the HU. It's a combination of different factors and like others have pointed out, dust is not the exclusive reason for such either though it's definitely a major role player.
Old 19th April 2007, 19:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Does this problem occur only in the case of a front loading HU ?

Does the HU which is having a CD Tray mechanism free from this problem ?
All the mentioned problems can occur in any HU CD player, regardless of mech type.

That said, I don't think it will be easy to find a tray type Car CD HU. lol
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 20:12   #15
BHPian

I just leave the MP3 RW-cd in all the time, Only time I remove it is when I want to change songs in the RW. Still I remove the CD only in the night..! I have not noticed any slow eject or Read Time Lag..and I drive with Window down.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote