Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th May 2007, 18:52   #31
BANNED

Hydra's explanation deserves an award at the next Oscar!
Well said!

I would suggest you to get SRX2S and an SRX1. Or you can go all the way and buy an LRX1.4 and an LRX4.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 23:15   #32
BHPian

For Santro honestly I would recommend SRx 3 with Energy's and IDQD2, single amplifier solution and just right amount of power.

Beyond this you can go any of the following combo's below :

SRx
SRx 2S (2 X 180W) + SRx 2S (1 X 600W) Bridged 4 ohms
SRx 2S (2 X 180W) + SRx 1 (1 X 350W) 2 ohms

LRx (Classic)
LRx 2.500 (2 X 200W) + LRx 2.500 (1 X 660W) Bridged 4 ohms

LRx AB
LRx 4.1K 2 X 130W + 500W (4 ohms) / 800W (2ohms))
LRx 6.9 2 X 240W + 470W (2ohms)
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 23:36   #33
BHPian

Thanks Hydrashok for another gem of a reply. You had mentioned in one of your posts that you switched off your sub & played just the 3-ways & the music still sounded fantastic.
Can I think of making do with just the 3-ways & SRx2S for now & get the D4 sub & SRx1 a few months down the line?
If I go for the SRx4, I think I'll need the D2 sub (voice coils in series to get 4 ohms) but later I won't be able to use the SRx1 at 2ohms unless I buy another D2 sub!
And to think I started off by looking for a Pio or Blau 4-channel amp for my Pio coaxials!
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 00:01   #34
BHPian

Thanks Autophile. I am sure you're dead right about the SRx3. It's just this niggling doubt in my mind about giving these beautiful 3-ways only half the power they're capable of accepting. Otherwise this package is certainly the least expensive option & I also save on wiring, distribution blocks & a bit of boot space.
Old 5th May 2007, 00:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

If you are a patient man, your plan (SRx2S now and SRx1 later) is real good. The SRx2S will give good power to the ESK163s and you'll be pretty fine till you get the SRx1 and the IDQD4. As I'm quite fond of saying, All good things come to those who wait.

Yep. Getting the SRx2S now instead of SRx4 will make more sense in the long run as you're looking to build a proper Front + Sub system. And, IMHO you don't at all need 2 subs in a Santro, so if you're keeping the Santro for a while an SRx1 and a 12" IDQ D4 will keep you mucho happy.

Budget? Being Unnecessarily Despondent about Getting Expensive Things. (I just made that up to sound smart so please excuse the PJ).
And that said, know what you can spend. Spend it on good stuff that will keep you happy for a long time. Live a happy life.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the SRx3. As JB said earlier, the SRx3 will power the ESK163s well. I'm running just about the same amount of power to them with the front channels of an SRx4. Its all a matter of tuning. But then again, sending 180w RMS to them will definitely make them sing! The choice is a matter of how patient you are (as mentioned above) and how much you can spend now.

Last edited by hydrashok : 5th May 2007 at 00:09.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 00:15   #36
BHPian

Thanks Hydrashok. Now if Autophile & Gunbir agree with this, what's the next step? By the way, which is better for the sub - 600W from a bridged SRx2S or 350W from an SRx1? But of course we have time to debate this.
Old 5th May 2007, 08:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Lemme see if I can help you make up your mind (or confuse you further, heh heh). An idea of what expenditure will always helps me with the decision-making process a lot. Lets see if it works for you

Items common to both choices
(except the HU, which I guess you're ready with):
ESK163s: 14,100/-
IDQ D4 V3: 15,000/- (approx.)
Box for Sub: 1,500/-
RCAs (x 3): 3,000/-
Damping: 5,000/-
Total: 38,600/-

Option 1 (SRx3 only):
SRx3: 31,000/-
Power wiring & accessories: 4,000/- (approx)
Add common total; 38,600/-
TOTAL: 73,600/- = 74,000/-

Option 2 (SRx2S & SRx1):
SRx2S: 28,000/-
SRx1: 25,000/-
Power wiring & Accesories: 6,000/- (approx)
Add common total: 38,600/-
Possible additional install cost: 2,000/-
TOTAL: 99,600/- = 1,00,000/-

Some figures are approximate, but I think your final figure will be very near the totals I have mentioned. I haven't added the basic install cost for either setups, but that is likely to be more or less the same across both options. Additional install costs (approx., for additional equipment in Option 2) have been added to option 2.

Choosing Option 1 will need you to make most of the expenditure in one go. Unless of course you don't get the sub now and wait a while (leaving the sub channel unused, for the time being). And, if you choose Option 1, your system does not have much of an upgrade path without changing the amp. (Except maybe addiing rear speakers and running them off the HU, or maybe upgrading the HU). Depending on your needs, locking yourself into a system could be a good thing also .

Option 2 lets you do the ICE work in 2 stages, as you've mentioned above. Choosing Option 2 will let you upgrade your sub section to about anything you want it to be. Or, you can use the SRx2S to drive a sub (or 2 subs) and get a 4-ch amp for a front + back amplification (if you feel that you need rear fill later). But Option 2, with its possiblilties, is likely to break your bank balance later.

Considering how you started out your ICE upgrade, I'd suggest Option 1 -- If you want to spend all that money in one go.

Or you can choose Option 3 -- some other configuration: Go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by hydrashok : 5th May 2007 at 08:44.
Old 5th May 2007, 10:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
An idea of what expenditure will always helps me with the decision-making process a lot.
Uh, please excuse my bad (multiple) editing that has butchered the language here :(
Old 5th May 2007, 11:12   #39
BHPian

Hydrashok, you're a man after my own heart. You make things clear as driven snow.
A few queries about the sub though. There's an ID10D4V.3 for 130 USD & an IDQ10D4V.2 for 160 USD on woofersetc.com. I think the latter has a smaller excursion. How are they priced in India? I had thought I would be spending about Rs 10K on the sub box combo!
Old 5th May 2007, 11:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

The v3 is the new model. Available now in India I guess. rishibravo got a 12" V3 for his Palio about a week back. I'm not sure about whether the V3 has a higher excursion, but I do know there has been a bit of redesign in the surround and the cone. I guess Gunbir or JB can comment on that.

Prices-wise I'm not sure what the V3 would cost exactly. It should be costlier than the V2. An IDQ12 D2V2 runs to about 14K. A 10" V2 would be about 2K lesser I guess.
Old 5th May 2007, 12:03   #41
BHPian

The BBW Distributors website is unfortunately still under construction. So I'd like to request Gunbir & JB to discuss the difference between the V.2 & V.3 subs as well as post the price of the IDQ10D4V.2 if possible. Thanks.
Old 5th May 2007, 12:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Option 1 (SRx3 only):
SRx3: 31,000/-
Nura,
Audisson and Hertz (Hi-Energy) are nice products. But given your budget 75K-100K I would listen to them first. I know you are in Calcutta and Gunbir and co are in Delhi so I just wondered if you have had a chace to listen to these components.

I have had many an experience where components I recommended were not appreciated by friends becuase they were expecting a very different sound.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 12:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Nura,
Audisson and Hertz (Hi-Energy) are nice products. But given your budget 75K-100K I would listen to them first. I know you are in Calcutta and Gunbir and co are in Delhi so I just wondered if you have had a chace to listen to these components.

I have had many an experience where components I recommended were not appreciated by friends becuase they were expecting a very different sound.
Yes 100K is a very good budget....for a good ICE setup....I would definitely recommend to listen to other brands before finalizing.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 12:51   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I would definitely recommend to listen to other brands before finalizing.....
No LBM, i did not mean that (although it is very true too). I meant that I think it is imperitive that Nura hear Hertz/Audisson first. Then atleast he has a yardstick to compare other brands too.

I know quite a few people who complain the music I listen to is too "flat" not enough pop. The fun really starts after about 60 minutes. When the notice that they dont have ear fatigue and their toes are involunarily tapping.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 14:36   #45
BHPian

Thanks, Navin & LBM. I understand the need to listen, not only to Audison/ Hertz but also other respected brands like JBL/ Infinity & Alpine. I am trying to explore opportunities in Kolkata with the help of BHPians from this city.
I am also travelling to Thailand next month & hope to have a listen there too. Would love to have your recommendations for good ICE outlets, particularly brand-showrooms in Bangkok & Chiang Mai. Only for listening. Much more convenient buying in India.