Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th May 2007, 12:47   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aah78, Surprised to hear about your Bharat experience. Since you speak about prices, I think mentioning this is necessary:

Leela originally gave me a quote of xxxx that included a couple of hundreds for a power cable (since my existing one was presumed to be too short for the amps new position in the trunk). When I went to pick up my car, the final bill was lesser than the quote and the power cable was not there on the list. Thinking that they omitted it by error, I pointed it out to her. She told me that on opening my system up, the existing power cable was indeed long enough and there wasnt a need for a new one.

Amongst everything else, I appreciate honesty the most. They could have charged me and I wouldnt have had a problem with it. But they didnt and have ended up with a customer for life.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 15:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Aah78, Surprised to hear about your Bharat experience. Since you speak about prices, I think mentioning this is necessary:

Leela originally gave me a quote of xxxx that included a couple of hundreds for a power cable (since my existing one was presumed to be too short for the amps new position in the trunk). When I went to pick up my car, the final bill was lesser than the quote and the power cable was not there on the list. Thinking that they omitted it by error, I pointed it out to her. She told me that on opening my system up, the existing power cable was indeed long enough and there wasnt a need for a new one.

Amongst everything else, I appreciate honesty the most. They could have charged me and I wouldnt have had a problem with it. But they didnt and have ended up with a customer for life.
What they have done is pretty much the least an auto accessories and stereo installer can do. In any case, a customer would ask for the old wire, and relaize that it is indeed long enough to do the job and they have been conned.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 18:53   #33
elf
BANNED

I'd gone to Bharat Radio years back in 1989 when a friend had to get an original Pioneer (it was a big deal back then) installed in his Contessa with four speakers (yes, four speakers was also a big deal back then).

We found that they'd done a great job when we went to pick up the car. He also showed us a brand new M1000 that a diamond merchant had bought & sent over to be ICEd, which he'd just finished installing.

That car had 16 speakers (yes, that included 2 sab-uffers, 6 midrezes, & 8 tutors) driven by 4 ampflares & a motorized front loading CD with a 3 diks chengar in the boot.

What was crazy about the whole thing, was that you couldn't see a single speaker or amp anywhere in the car - he'd created or had created a roof panel to replace the existing OE one to fit the mids & tweeters, & an entire frame behind the back seat to fit the subs & the amps. There were 2 larger mids in the rear parcel shelf in the OE slots, covered by the grey carpeting that Maruti used.

When they'd finished, there wasn't a wire out of place & the car was thoroughly cleaned.

The install was a bit expensive, to say the least, but very thorough & very professional.

Last edited by elf : 4th May 2007 at 18:55.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 19:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
(yes, that included 2 sab-uffers, 6 midrezes, & 8 tutors)
thank go he did not put Horns..........
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 09:34   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When they'd finished, there wasn't a wire out of place & the car was thoroughly cleaned.
Exactly my experience. I intend to upgrade the ICE in my C, and wont hesitate in giving it to Bharat.

Quote:
I'd gone to Bharat Radio years back in 1989 when a friend had to get an original Pioneer (it was a big deal back then) installed in his Contessa with four speakers (yes, four speakers was also a big deal back then).

We found that they'd done a great job when we went to pick up the car. He also showed us a brand new M1000 that a diamond merchant had bought & sent over to be ICEd, which he'd just finished installing.
Dont mean to get picky, but the Maruti 1000 wasnt launched in 1989?
Old 5th May 2007, 11:50   #36
elf
BANNED

My mishtook become dun. That should read as 1990.

I remember because the car was a huuuge deal then - "The Most Expensive Indian Car" ever launched, & the owner of the one I referred to was just getting it ICEd up with some serious costs.
Old 5th May 2007, 14:12   #37
BHPian

The M1000 was a seriuos status symbol... if u had one then u were roling in green>>>>
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 14:15   #38
elf
BANNED

It was still a big deal when I got mine in 1991, for around 4.25 - 4.5 lakhs if I remember correctly.
Old 5th May 2007, 15:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Even I had put some stuff in my car....and it was a M1000 in the year 1996....as I got it after my father bought a Honda....it had two subs two ovals two amps two 4 inch speakers and 8850 HU, 7650 DSP...and the legendary TS-20 Tweeters......
Old 6th May 2007, 11:49   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sure, it was a big deal. The first time I saw a Maruti 1000 (white), I went crazy. It looked super-modern for the time inside and out. No surprise the same design is still selling in good numbers today. Too bad about the pathetic engine though.
Old 6th May 2007, 13:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, it was a big deal. The first time I saw a Maruti 1000 (white), I went crazy. It looked super-modern for the time inside and out. No surprise the same design is still selling in good numbers today. Too bad about the pathetic engine though.
Ya It does not go above 130 kph......and the pickup was quite less.......as compared to the car....
Old 7th May 2007, 10:41   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No surprise the same design is still selling in good numbers today. Too bad about the pathetic engine though.
GTO, I did not care for the 1.3L engine that followed either. It made a rather tinny noise compared to the low throated growl of the ISZ 1.8 buttt this is the ICE section!

Last edited by navin : 7th May 2007 at 10:42.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 13:02   #43
elf
BANNED

Quote:
... The first time I saw a Maruti 1000 (white), I went crazy. ...
You can say that again. The first time I saw one passing by, I hated it. Thought it looked damn odd.

Then one day, Mom & me went to Resham Motors (now Sah & Sanghi, I believe) & I examined it in greater detail. And then got sold on the curves of the front fender. Magic words ensued ("Daddy, I VANT!!").

Of course I had to wait quite a bit for it (almost 4 months), but got it on my 19th birthday.

Sheesh! I remember that day like it was yesterday...
Old 7th May 2007, 14:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

And to think i could get a 1993 M-1000 only in 1999.

A lot of VIPs bought this car & had fancy numbers on it, mostly 1000. Boy, was it sluggish ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 10:27   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

GTO, I did not care for the 1.3L engine that followed either.
No ways!! On launch, the Esteem was the 1995 equivalent of the Vtec in 2001. And the Skoda RS in 2004. It was faster than anything else on the road.

P.S. : Sorry ICERs but we are raiding your section with engines.