Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th May 2007, 20:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh711 View Post
Congrats on the Setup!!! Without even listening to it, it just sounds Superb!

Err, its not my car, in case some people are getting that impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh711
Personally, too much spent.. I personally can never justify this expensive a thing for how much good it may sound... OMG types...! just my personal opinion.
Very honestly, 'too much' or 'too little' is very relative. There are people that spend fortunes on quality audio, mostly home. I am not talking about the kind that have discotheques in their houses, or 24 subs in a pickup van. I personally know people (Indians) that own a pair of speaker cables, about 6m in length totally that cost as much as this whole setup and more! Sometimes I have trouble myself justifying such things although I am into this professionally now. When I was first introduced to the world of fine audio some 15-16 years ago, I was shocked far more than you are right now. But in audio, as I have learnt, there is no such thing as too much.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 20:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Hmm nice setup. As you rightly said, the setup would do well with an HU upgrade. would love to hear this setup next time I'm there.
This is the reason why I was inquiring with you regarding the HX D2. I have proposed the change but havent heard back yet. I am seriously hoping it happens.

Please let me know whenever you are coming, would be glad to arrange it if the car is available.
Old 11th May 2007, 23:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
This is the reason why I was inquiring with you regarding the HX D2. I have proposed the change but havent heard back yet. I am seriously hoping it happens.

Please let me know whenever you are coming, would be glad to arrange it if the car is available.

I think PXA can be connected to the HU directly.....but HX D2 would be a better choice.....
low_bass_makker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 00:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think PXA can be connected to the HU directly.....but HX D2 would be a better choice.....
But, hey, i think my MEX-R1 would sound just great on that kinda setup. what do you say ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 01:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
But, hey, i think my MEX-R1 would sound just great on that kinda setup. what do you say ?
the sony sacd car audio player ??????
Old 12th May 2007, 10:33   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...I am into this professionally now. When I was first introduced to the world of fine audio some 15-16 years ago..But in audio, as I have learnt, there is no such thing as too much.
What people dont factor in is design costs, distribution, taxes, dealer margins, marketing, etc..parts and labour is less than 30% of the cost of the selling price sometimes as little as 10% (the more esoteric the brand the wider the margin). I find the MRP of most products to be fully justofiable buuutttt....

The cheapskate in me could not see why I need to fund all this so I turned DIY in about 1972 (built a chip amp using National chips). Never looked back since. I had a lot of encouragement with all my relatives (aunts, uncles, dad, etc..) willing to fund my projects. My aunt (born 1918) and dad (born 1922) were both "audiophiles" so I got access to products from Saul Marantz, Avery Fisher, Edgar Vilchur, Henry Kloss, Paul Klipsch, etc..

Last edited by navin : 12th May 2007 at 10:36.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 11:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What people dont factor in is design costs, distribution, taxes, dealer margins, marketing, etc..parts and labour is less than 30% of the cost of the selling price sometimes as little as 10% (the more esoteric the brand the wider the margin). I find the MRP of most products to be fully justofiable buuutttt....

The cheapskate in me could not see why I need to fund all this so I turned DIY in about 1972 (built a chip amp using National chips). Never looked back since. I had a lot of encouragement with all my relatives (aunts, uncles, dad, etc..) willing to fund my projects. My aunt (born 1918) and dad (born 1922) were both "audiophiles" so I got access to products from Saul Marantz, Avery Fisher, Edgar Vilchur, Henry Kloss, Paul Klipsch, etc..
Ya I agree the cost of manufacturing is not so high.....it is the develpement of the product and the good will of the company which increases the costs.......

Navin Ji about DIY.....I would love to do all the stuff in my car myself but I cannot afford to spend my time on developing things as I have to earn also....but when I know I can DIY a thing I will never buy it and rather Do-it-Myself.........your were lucky that you had good resources from which gave you good support.....
Old 12th May 2007, 14:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sure! Why not? If you say so.

Should I also recommend that he upgrade to the Esteem from the Superb?
Old 12th May 2007, 21:54   #39
JPL
BHPian

Quote:

. awesome install B&t I wish I could hear it man !! and some things are just priceless, you cannot justify the price or rather you dont need to..
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 14:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow! that would be a superb esteem now, wouldn't it ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 09:19   #41
BHPian

Unhappy A Lange & Sohne - Perp Calender ???

Quote:
Hmmm. And I always thought Bose is the best!

Consider this. The chap who owns the car wears an A. Lange & Sohne perpetual calendar on his wrist. Now, before you say it, I will quickly agree that Rolex is the best watch brand out there. But how can I make him understand that he should get himself a few dozen bejewelled Rollies rather than that? Its difficult. Some people are just plain stubborn.
Sir, I was not aware that 'ZD' wore A Lange & Sohne Perpetual Calender ? Lovely.
That is a 145/- K Euro Watch. Too much.

BTW - Rolex is a great 'Time Keeper' & a Poor 'Watch Maker' !!!!
BHAGWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 09:34   #42
BHPian

Angry Interesting point of view !!!

Quote:
Very honestly, 'too much' or 'too little' is very relative. There are people that spend fortunes on quality audio, mostly home. I am not talking about the kind that have discotheques in their houses, or 24 subs in a pickup van. I personally know people (Indians) that own a pair of speaker cables, about 6m in length totally that cost as much as this whole setup and more! Sometimes I have trouble myself justifying such things although I am into this professionally now. When I was first introduced to the world of fine audio some 15-16 years ago, I was shocked far more than you are right now. But in audio, as I have learnt, there is no such thing as too much.
The Speaker Cable you talk about is 3M long - not 6M.
Your Superb install is cheaper than that cable you are talking about;
I read some where in this thread that some one was impressed with vdH Cables that your used. vdH = Bland & Dull. One of the worst audio cables that can ever be used !!!

To be truthful B & T we need to find a 'high end' cable for car audio installation.
When Steg et all is used, better quality cables are required - I feel !! This includes RCA & Speaker wire. Power Cables are OK.
BHAGWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 11:29   #43
BHPian

Not that this would ever be a concern for me personally, but having spent 7 lakhs worth of ICE, do people get separate insurance for the ICE? Or they couldn't care less? They could just replace the car and the ICE if it got stolen without any sweat.

I think Robin Hood is much needed in India.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 12:33   #44
BHPian

It is possible. I've added the value of my ICE equipment in my motor insurance policy.
Theft is covered. The premium for ICE was about Rs.250/- per year. Valued at Rs. 65000/-
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 12:42   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Not that this would ever be a concern for me personally, but having spent 7 lakhs worth of ICE, do people get separate insurance for the ICE? Or they couldn't care less? They could just replace the car and the ICE if it got stolen without any sweat.

We have a thread for that here - . (Insurance for ICE)
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote