Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th May 2007, 14:41   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
and Navin Ji this is the inside of a fake alpine amp....there is a thermistor which trips the amp when it is over heated...
but what is creating the heat. the thermistor is doing it's job but what is the soruce of the heat. you will have to check the voltages at all points starting from the input.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 14:54   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
but what is creating the heat. the thermistor is doing it's job but what is the soruce of the heat. you will have to check the voltages at all points starting from the input.
Navin Ji it is the amp which is being pushed to its limits which it cannot take ...that is 2 ohms bridged load that also of a sub duty....this causes the amp to heat up....and you can expect what type of quality component these chines amp have...
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 17:22   #93
BHPian

Quote:
which magnet are you talking about...it is in the center of the speaker...it is the normal ferrite one...nothing special about it...
ok got it. but isn't it too small?? chalo leave it.

clip
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 17:34   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
ok got it. but isn't it too small?? chalo leave it.

clip
Ya it is so small thats why the speaker has got no power to play ....it is worth nothing.....
Old 24th May 2007, 19:26   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin Ji it is the amp which is being pushed to its limits which it cannot take ...that is 2 ohms bridged load that also of a sub duty....this causes the amp to heat up....and you can expect what type of quality component these chines amp have...
LBM you got it wrong. it the Helix amp that is tripping and not the fake Alpine.

From what I understand each amp is driving 2 subs but the subs are not paralleled. The Helix is bridiged into 2 channels making 250W/ch x 2 so each sub should be getting 250W. God alone know what the Alpine amp is pushing but it is NOT tripping.

What I cant understand how a branded amp (Helix is a German brand) rated at 250W x 2 at 4 ohms is tripping. Obviosuly it is faulty or not designed well.

Either the Helix amp cant drive a 4 ohms load in bridged mode too loud or there is a faulty part that is causing it to overheat and trip.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:59   #96
BHPian

Quote:
LBM you got it wrong. it the Helix amp that is tripping and not the fake Alpine.

From what I understand each amp is driving 2 subs but the subs are not paralleled. The Helix is bridiged into 2 channels making 250W/ch x 2 so each sub should be getting 250W. God alone know what the Alpine amp is pushing but it is NOT tripping.

What I cant understand how a branded amp (Helix is a German brand) rated at 250W x 2 at 4 ohms is tripping. Obviosuly it is faulty or not designed well.

Either the Helix amp cant drive a 4 ohms load in bridged mode too loud or there is a faulty part that is causing it to overheat and trip.
navinji let me clarify :-)

LBM posted the fake alpine amps picture to show you the thermistor when you said the alpine doesnt have current overload protection. the picture is of a FAKE ALPINE not helix :-)

you are right. the helix is tripping. BTW how do you define tripping?

from what i understand, the amp is showing the protection light permanently so its not tripping. tripping is when the amp stops working for a while. let me know if im incorrect.

the subs are getting 250w each. 1 sub is on the 1-2 channel bridged and the other on 3-4 channel bridged. i hope im clear. :-)

cheers
clip
Old 24th May 2007, 20:40   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It was the fake alpine which I have seen in my town trip after the trashing....but I dont know about the helix amp it might be faulty.....clip is getting it checked.....
Old 25th May 2007, 17:51   #98
Team-BHP Support

ok, i thought LBM was thinking the Alpine was clipping. So the Helix is clipping which Clip is getting checked (becuase it should not given that it is rated to deliver 250W/4ohms per bridged channel) and LBM posted a pic of the termistor on the Alpine to prove that it has protection too. Now I am on the same page.
Old 25th May 2007, 19:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
ok, i thought LBM was thinking the Alpine was clipping. So the Helix is clipping which Clip is getting checked (becuase it should not given that it is rated to deliver 250W/4ohms per bridged channel) and LBM posted a pic of the termistor on the Alpine to prove that it has protection too. Now I am on the same page.
exactly navinji. ill let you know what went wrong with the amp.

cheers
clip
Old 27th May 2007, 17:48   #100
BHPian

hi,

was wondering how much does my amp(gm-x944) puts out in 2 ohm bridged mode and 1ohm stereo. its stable in 1ohm stereo. eg. how much will it put out if i connect a dual 4 ohm dvc sub connecting the voice coils in parallel using 2 channels bridged. it puts out 250x2 in bridged 4ohms. hope im clear with my query.

cheers
Old 27th May 2007, 17:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi,

was wondering how much does my amp(gm-x944) puts out in 2 ohm bridged mode and 1ohm stereo. its stable in 1ohm stereo. eg. how much will it put out if i connect a dual 4 ohm dvc sub connecting the voice coils in parallel using 2 channels bridged. it puts out 250x2 in bridged 4ohms. hope im clear with my query.

cheers
Hi Clip.

I think the 944 is rated at 150 W rms in bridged mode @ 4 ohms, 12V. I dont remember Pioneer mentioning the 1 ohm stereo stable part, but I know it works if hooked up that way. Not knowing Pioneer's rating, I could guess that it would be perhaps 175-200 watts in bridged mode @ 2 ohms. Hence 1 ohm stereo output would be 85-100 watts @ 1 ohm.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 18:18   #102
BHPian

this what im trying to explain. its a bad sketch but i hoe you understand

Old 27th May 2007, 18:23   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Hi Clip.

I think the 944 is rated at 150 W rms in bridged mode @ 4 ohms, 12V. I dont remember Pioneer mentioning the 1 ohm stereo stable part, but I know it works if hooked up that way. Not knowing Pioneer's rating, I could guess that it would be perhaps 175-200 watts in bridged mode @ 2 ohms. Hence 1 ohm stereo output would be 85-100 watts @ 1 ohm.
the amp is rated at 250x2 bridged 4 ohm load at 14.4v. i want to know what it put out if its in 2 ohms bridged. and yes pioneer says its stable in 1 ohm. if this amp puts out 250x2 bridges 4ohms 14.4 then it should put out more in 2ohms. correct me if im wrong

cheers
clip
Old 27th May 2007, 18:23   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this what im trying to explain. its a bad sketch but i hoe you understand
I understand what you are saying, its 2 ohm bridged mode. I dont remember any pioneer specs for this mode. Each coil will get half of the bridged power @ 2ohms, maybe about 200 watts total.

P.S. With reference to your diagram, I have not come across a DVC sub which has both '+' terminals on one side, and both '-' on the other. I know this is representation, but couldn't resist.
Old 27th May 2007, 18:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the amp is rated at 250x2 bridged 4 ohm load at 14.4v. i want to know what it put out if its in 2 ohms bridged. and yes pioneer says its stable in 1 ohm. if this amp puts out 250x2 bridges 4ohms 14.4 then it should put out more in 2ohms. correct me if im wrong

cheers
clip
Yup, I am quoting 12V. Anyway, while they say it IS stable, the power output at this load is not specified or I dont remember, which is what I am trying to say. There is a chance that the power does not increase much, or increases a bit, or does not increase at all. There is no way to tell for sure until there are published specs, or the amp is measured.