Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th February 2008, 16:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
6x9s are mostly designed for free air application. Hence they are mostly dependent on their own suspension more than the restoration force of an enclosure. Yet, not all 6x9s are exactly the same. Different 6x9s would perform differently if enclosed.
How does the characteristic change if you do put them in a sealed enclosure?

I have a pair of kenwood ovals KFC-HQ698 and a pair of pioneer yellow cone 6X9's for example.

How exactly would the characteristic change as in how would the mid-bass get affected?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 17:38   #17
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How does the characteristic change if you do put them in a sealed enclosure?

I have a pair of kenwood ovals KFC-HQ698 and a pair of pioneer yellow cone 6X9's for example.

How exactly would the characteristic change as in how would the mid-bass get affected?
In one of the posts I think Navin had given an example that if you speak with cupped hands it tends to be louder.

And I also gather that Navin had also posted in reply to one of my posts, to create bass the speaker needs to move air (not exactly but on the same lines), hence I assume that (Please B&T or gurus correct me here) even if a speaker is built for a Free air application they would sound better (as in depth and midbass) in box, whether sealed or ported.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 18:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL
In one of the posts I think Navin had given an example that if you speak with cupped hands it tends to be louder.
I suppose he was referring to horn loaded speakers there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL
And I also gather that Navin had also posted in reply to one of my posts, to create bass the speaker needs to move air (not exactly but on the same lines), hence I assume that (Please B&T or gurus correct me here) even if a speaker is built for a Free air application they would sound better (as in depth and midbass) in box, whether sealed or ported.

"Air moved" by the speaker is same in free air and enclosed scenario because it depends on cone area and excursion, both of which will remain the same.

If the speakers are playing full range, maybe they'd be more controlled in the bass when in a box. If they have a HPF of about 63-80 Hz, there could be some more output in that band. If they are cut off at 125Hz or higher, they should sound almost exactly the same in a box or in free air.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 23:34   #19
BHPian

What if they're being used as woofers ? Will the output improve or be the same ?

Quote:
I suppose he was referring to horn loaded speakers there.

"Air moved" by the speaker is same in free air and enclosed scenario because it depends on cone area and excursion, both of which will remain the same.

If the speakers are playing full range, maybe they'd be more controlled in the bass when in a box. If they have a HPF of about 63-80 Hz, there could be some more output in that band. If they are cut off at 125Hz or higher, they should sound almost exactly the same in a box or in free air.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 11:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
to create bass the speaker needs to move air ...even if a speaker is built for a Free air application they would sound better (as in depth and midbass) in box, whether sealed or ported.
Quote:
If the speakers are playing full range, maybe they'd be more controlled in the bass when in a box.
When a good transducer designer designs a driver he/she has a specific goal in mind. When it comes to car speakers (and certain home/PA audio applications) you will find that many speakers are designed for a IB install. It does not make sense (in my view) to second guess the designer unless one has a specific application and/or fully understands the implications of doing so.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 11:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
What if they're being used as woofers ? Will the output improve or be the same ?
???? Why woofers, they cannot play like that.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 11:33   #22
BHPian

Well I need some help!!!!I have a sony usb head unit and sony co axials at the rear and normal speakers in front. As i am a newbee to the audio entertainment in the car the dealer said that the front speakers are just support for the rear and gave me some xenons front speakers ... I want to change the speaker system can you suggest me some place in mumbai where we can get some good setup....and also some ideas about what combination will go best with the sony usb head unit?
Thanks
swapnil.rahate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 12:06   #23
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
Well I need some help!!!!I have a sony usb head unit and sony co axials at the rear and normal speakers in front. As i am a newbee to the audio entertainment in the car the dealer said that the front speakers are just support for the rear and gave me some xenons front speakers ... I want to change the speaker system can you suggest me some place in mumbai where we can get some good setup....and also some ideas about what combination will go best with the sony usb head unit?
Thanks
Hi. Please mention your budget. Can you tell what you feel you are missing in the current setup.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 12:44   #24
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose............exactly the same in a box or in free air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
When a good transducer designer ........fully understands the implications of doing so.
Thank you B&T and Navin, I have a lot to learn and digest..sorry for all the stupid interpretations..
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 12:50   #25
BHPian

My Pio 6950 has a setting which allows you to play the rear speakers as woofers and the fronts as full range.

If i play the rears at full range and set the fader to front +7, they arent loud enough(i dont have an amp). And setting the rears to work as woofers brings the soundstage to the front and the whole setup sounds much better. Plus I can HPF the fronts without losing the bass altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
???? Why woofers, they cannot play like that.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
Thanks
Please , do not hijack this thread. You can post you query here :http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gurus/6427-car-audio-advice-audio-gurus-use-search-thread-before-posting-new-q.html
Old 18th February 2008, 13:30   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If i play the rears at full range and set the fader to front +7, they arent loud enough(i dont have an amp). And setting the rears to work as woofers brings the soundstage to the front and the whole setup sounds much better. Plus I can HPF the fronts without losing the bass altogether.
Sure you can use your 6x9 as woofer but they are DESIGNED to work best in IB and putting them in a box will change/restrict their bass response. Still if you intend to use a box, putting them in a box that is small and sealed the bass would be give a peak in the bass but if the box is large or lossy it would sound less so.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 15:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Pio 6950 has a setting which allows you to play the rear speakers as woofers and the fronts as full range.

You must compare the ovals with a sub. and not only your car alone.

A oval cannot take place of a boofer, and a boofer cannot become a oval.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 15:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not the best idea to use something with an Fs of 70Hz as a woofer. (I presume you mean subwoofer by woofer)
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 16:21   #30
BHPian

I dont know what exact frequencies are given to the rears but the upper limit is 125 HZ. Can this damage the speakers ?

Quote:
Not the best idea to use something with an Fs of 70Hz as a woofer. (I presume you mean subwoofer by woofer)