Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th May 2007, 20:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sam AND B&T both are Gurus and I respect their opinion as much as I do my own (I march to the beat of my own drummer). They have offered you advice that is correct but I think my advise is NOT wrong either. Which is more correct would be best only decided if you hear both options? Does your dealer have a 300.1 and 75.4? Remember there is a 3K difference between the 300.1 and 75.4.
Now maveet will be thinking in circles.....fully confused......bit I tend to agree on getting a 75.4 as it will do justice to the front stage also.....and use the 444 bridged to the rear speakers if you want....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 20:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Edit: HAHA Good one B&T, u want one? I can send one to you as well, in exchange of a STEG mono and GZero sub.

Nice idea sir but it will only works once....which has been tried by me before you....
Old 24th May 2007, 21:33   #63
BHPian

Default Vini Vidi Vici the JBL 75.4

after much anticipation My queen is PIMP'd ,its called as not JBLyfed queen,
took 7 hours to do the stuff with intermediate breaks though.

I have taken tons of pictures , can't wait to post it sadly i'm in office now gonna post once i reach home 4 A.M :(

thats a real nice goodie Sam , Monster meets the Queen.

75.4 Amp its a beast ,very big and looks awesome.

they got only 1 amp and its taken by me . that guy was asking sir please gimme the Box i will put it for Display.

have to listen to it for a day or two so taht I can tune it.

I listen to mostly Disco and House( Ministry of sound, Hed Kandi stuff)

wht should be the normal tuning config for this system:

Pio 5990 IB
JBL 937 rear
JBL 607 comps
JBL 75.4 Amp
JBL 4-12 sub

SAM: dont you need my postal address for the goodies to be sent?
romyeo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 22:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

wait for the pictures.......and a little detailed report......
Old 24th May 2007, 23:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

First things first - I thank B&T, Navin, Hydroshok and LBM for their valuable suggestions and patience. Sam's simple advice has been conspicuous by it's absence - maybe because it's JBL and he didn't want to sound as if he was promoting it on the Forum

Anyhow ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
If you want to keep your 444, you can use it the way you described -- use all of it on a sub. Not a totally optimum solution, but you can use the 4-ch amp to drive a DVC (Dual Voice Coil) Sub. BUT your sub is and SVC one, so that won't be possible in your case, unless you change the sub, which you don't need to do.
Infact, I don't really want to keep the 444 as my appreciation for ICE has grown more since I bought the 444 about 4 years back - therefore I don't see it figuring in any future upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
Like B&T said, getting a 75.4 will be the best solution for your Comps and your sub. Both will get good power. And you pay just 3K more than the 10K budget
Actually I won't because like I mentioned earlier, the 75.4 is less than 10k after trading in the 444.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
You have one sub. It is ... at 4 ohms. What makes more sense?
I understood now. Thanks a lot. Muah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
For peace of mind, maybe you could inscribe on the 4-ch amp : "This channel is dedicated to my loving subwoofer, 304", so that way they probably wont stray and remain dedicated.
You can use two channels to power the rear speakers. And maybe the other two, since they will be idling, to power an array of bulbs that will glow and dim with the music.
I distinctly remember asking you to be nice to me.

Quote:
Also, in the future, if you get a serious sub or two, you could buy a monoblock to drive the newly acquired 2 ohm load and use the 75.4 to 'dedicatedly' drive all 4 speakers.
Thats a good Idea. Infact my next ICE upgrade will come when I upgrade my car .. say in about a year. So then I can use the 75.4 to drive front and rear components and invest money in a better Sub and Monoblock. With that perspective, buying the 75.4 maximizes re-usability potential.

Quote:
Hiss could be due to a lot of reasons, not easy to diagnose like this. Most likely, your signal is picking noise along the way.
Hmmm .. I think one of the things is the Xenon Ballast etc right next to the battery in the Engine Bay. How can the signal be Insulated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The 75.4 bridged will put out more power say 3db more at best. How much of a difference will that make? The 75.4 puised into 4 ohms will be pushed into high current mode and which like to pushed there all the time. In a pinch it will do but continously?
@B&T - please address this specific point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
2. Now assume he has a 75.4 and no 444. his next amp upgrade would have to be a mono and what would not 100W driving the rears be a sheer waste?
Not really. Because when the next upgrade happens (in another car) I'll also go in for Rear components.

Quote:
If he has the 300.1 and the 444 his next upgrade could be either a good powerful 2 ch. amp or 4ch. amp. He could then use the 444 bridged for the rears.
Good point Navin ji but when my next upgrade comes, trust me, I wouldn't want Sony to be a part of it

Quote:
Now Manveet, you must be one confused bloke. We are ICE are Sorry for this predicament.
On the contrary, I appreciate the way yourself, B&T etc. explained it in laymans language - I think I now have a handle on things.

Quote:
Which is more correct would be best only decided if you hear both options? Does your dealer have a 300.1 and 75.4? Remember there is a 3K difference between the 300.1 and 75.4.
If going in for the 300.1 means keeping the 444 - what I am thinking is that I might as well get rid of the 444 when I can, provided I upgrade intelligently so that in the long term I make a better choice. What say?
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 23:10   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
after much anticipation My queen is PIMP'd ,its called as not JBLyfed queen,
took 7 hours to do the stuff with intermediate breaks though.

I have taken tons of pictures , can't wait to post it sadly i'm in office now gonna post once i reach home 4 A.M :(
Hey, I am SO sorry for hijacking your Thread.

Congratulations on the setup - looking forward to the pictures
Old 24th May 2007, 23:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Hey, I am SO sorry for hijacking your Thread.

Congratulations on the setup - looking forward to the pictures

that's ok Buddy as long as it serves your purpose and everyone is benefitted.
romyeo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 23:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understood now. Thanks a lot. Muah.

I distinctly remember asking you to be nice to me.

On the contrary, I appreciate the way yourself, B&T etc. explained it in laymans language - I think I now have a handle on things.
Hmmm...what are we seeing here....something fishy here partner.....
Old 24th May 2007, 23:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

First things first - I thank B&T, Navin, Hydroshok and LBM for their valuable suggestions and patience. Sam's simple advice has been conspicuous by it's absence - maybe because it's JBL and he didn't want to sound as if he was promoting it on the Forum

Anyhow ..

you are welcome....

Infact, I don't really want to keep the 444 as my appreciation for ICE has grown more since I bought the 444 about 4 years back - therefore I don't see it figuring in any future upgrades.

very good now you understand what good music equipment is

Actually I won't because like I mentioned earlier, the 75.4 is less than 10k after trading in the 444.

ya thats the spirit....

Thats a good Idea. Infact my next ICE upgrade will come when I upgrade my car .. say in about a year. So then I can use the 75.4 to drive front and rear components and invest money in a better Sub and Monoblock. With that perspective, buying the 75.4 maximizes re-usability potential.

good Idea here

Hmmm .. I think one of the things is the Xenon Ballast etc right next to the battery in the Engine Bay. How can the signal be Insulated?

No it cant be......as it is in the bonnet not near you ICE setup so it forget it

Not really. Because when the next upgrade happens (in another car) I'll also go in for Rear components.

I think it would not be required....try my car next time

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 24th May 2007 at 23:39.
Old 24th May 2007, 23:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If going in for the 300.1 means keeping the 444 - what I am thinking is that I might as well get rid of the 444 when I can, provided I upgrade intelligently so that in the long term I make a better choice. What say?
Yesssss! The plan you mentioned is good.

Get rid of the 444 now and get a 75.4. Use it with the front comps and the sub.

When you get a new car shift the 75.4 to the new car and use it for the front & rear speakers (Comps in front and coaxials in back will be enough). Plus, get a mono amp (a-la 300.1) and use it to drive a sub.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 23:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post

No it cant be......as it is in the bonnet not near you ICE setup so it forget it

Paaji .. you are mistaken.

The HID definitely interferes with the sound quality - maybe not the hiss but definitely SOMETHING.

For e.g. when I give a dipper in the day time, I get a distinct crackling sound from my speakers. Whats that about?
Old 24th May 2007, 23:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Paaji .. you are mistaken.

The HID definitely interferes with the sound quality - maybe not the hiss but definitely SOMETHING.

For e.g. when I give a dipper in the day time, I get a distinct crackling sound from my speakers. Whats that about?

Hmm then it is a problem with your wiring not the xenon .....I have seen in some car when horn is used it also reflect some sound in the car speakers...it means that the HU or the amp is not wired correctly.....or there can be some problem in the RCA wire ...which will have to be diagnose for the cause...

PS- it can be the xenon earth point which might be the culprit.....try changing it....hope it helps...

But anyway why do you use dipper in the day time....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 24th May 2007 at 23:53.
Old 25th May 2007, 11:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
Good idea.

Quote:
All the more reason to postpone dedicating yourself to a dedicated subwoofer amp, since a new car will mean that you will have to consider subwoofer options all over again.

Quote:
Use a good quality shielded RCA cable if you already aint using one. Also, check that the power and RCA cables are not running right next to each other.

Quote:
The 75.4 bridged will put out more power say 3db more at best. How much of a difference will that make? The 75.4 puised into 4 ohms will be pushed into high current mode and which like to pushed there all the time. In a pinch it will do but continously?

Quote:

Firstly manveet, if I blindfold you (only blindfold, not handcuff and gag too), and ask you to tell the difference in sound quality between the 300.1 and the 75.4 both driving your audiophile reference subwoofer, you'd be as confused as you would be if I blindfolded, gagged and handcuffed you to a bed. (No, I wouldnt do that, but thats why its confusing). Secondly, a 75.4 rated at 280 W will be more comfortable putting out 200 W rms than the 300.1 doing 200W rms since the latter is then playing at full rated output, and hence with higher distortion numbers. Lastly, with your kind of music, I would love to see you give 200 watts continuously to your subwoofer. Its not going to happen. And if it does, you'll blow the sub because its rated at 180 W continuous. But again, its not gonna happen. You're going to play music and not bass tones. And for that purpose its handy to have some extra headroom.

Quote:
I dont think so. Its not most necessary. Also, after I send you my consulting bill for all this, you'll probably not be able to afford it. I'll be the one getting new rear components for my car.

Quote:
Good point Navin ji but when my next upgrade comes, trust me, I wouldn't want Sony to be a part of it
Sony? Sony Singh? Brother of Tony and Mony Singh? I asked him, he doesnt want to be a part of it either.

Quote:
If you retain the current set of speakers and subs, I dont see you upgrading in the amplifier department in the future.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 11:55   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Use a good quality shielded RCA cable if you already aint using one. Also, check that the power and RCA cables are not running right next to each other.
Will check. In most probability you've identified the problem correctly. Any suggestions on what RCA cables I should pickup? Also, do I need those fancy connectors that go on the battery terminals for the Amp. Power Supply?

Quote:
Lastly, with your kind of music, I would love to see you give 200 watts continuously to your subwoofer. Its not going to happen.
Now you see - that's precisely why I mentioned the music I listen to.

Quote:
Also, after I send you my consulting bill for all this, you'll probably not be able to afford it. I'll be the one getting new rear components for my car.
I'm in Bombay from 5th-7th of June. It would be my pleasure to catch up with you, Navin ji, GTO, Viper and the other veterans. And my special friend - gr8guzzler. And Elfy.
Old 25th May 2007, 11:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will check. In most probability you've identified the problem correctly. Any suggestions on what RCA cables I should pickup? Also, do I need those fancy connectors that go on the battery terminals for the Amp. Power Supply?
No.....need to get them...the stock one are enough for the job......