Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th June 2007, 09:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default HU with USB stick or SD card support for Skoda Laura Elegance

I searched the forum as best I could and did not find any discussion on this. Please point me to the thread if one exists discussing this problem.

What is the easiest (and cheapest) way to add USB thumb-drive or SD card support to the HU provided in Skoda Laura elegance (single CD player with MP3 support)? I find the memory-stick, SD-card approach to music very practical. I dont want to go the iPod way because of battery and an extra kit to lug it around. Since the HU is integrated into the dash, do I have to do lot of plumbimg? My music needs are simple but just need USB stick or SD card slot. Bluetooth capable HU will be a huge bonus so I can connect my phone to the HU (like Delphi Grundig X350 BT)[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Any help? Navin, I hope you have some tip for me. I am in Bangalore so any references to shops that can do this kinda stuff will be of great help.

Thanks.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 10:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it will be possible to add USB/SD Card support to your existing HU. For this, you'll need to buy a new HU that supports these. The Pio 7950UB is the best option (about 10K). Other options from JVC and Sony are also available.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 10:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

@ androdev - the lauras of this world are very unfriendly in terms of hu upgrade. If you plan to junk the factory hu, the parking sensor display will go to waste as it is integrated into the hu. The only option I think is to get a separate hu, Pio 7950UB, etc and run the OE hu through the AUX of your new hu. Search the forum, there are pics of the same done on an Accord. Hope this helps.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 11:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

You cannot do anything to make this unit SD card compliant
2 options
1. Get a USB stick mp3 player, add it through aux in. : 7000rs
2. Get a pocket SD memory card mp3 player, get it fixed in dash and connect it to aux in : 3000rs
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 11:06   #5
BANNED

Check out the OE HU on the Scorpio. It comes with a USB port AND SD card slot IN FRONT.

When my 6.5 year old Sony HU went bust, I managed a Scorpio HU from an owner who wanted to upgrade. Cost me 5K.

The flip side, if you can call it that, is that the HU has the Mahindra logo in front and when switched on, says 'Welcome to your Scorpio". For 5K, it can say anything it likes - I'm happy. I think its a Kenwood, by the way.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 11:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ androdev - the lauras of this world are very unfriendly in terms of hu upgrade. If you plan to junk the factory hu, the parking sensor display will go to waste as it is integrated into the hu. The only option I think is to get a separate hu, Pio 7950UB, etc and run the OE hu through the AUX of your new hu. Search the forum, there are pics of the same done on an Accord. Hope this helps.
But i think laura elegance comes without parking sensors. so if there is space like innova than you can replace the oem hu with usb supported aftermarket hu.

if possible do post the interior picture.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
But i think laura elegance comes without parking sensors. so if there is space like innova than you can replace the oem hu with usb supported aftermarket hu.

if possible do post the interior picture.
The Laura Elegance comes with rear parking sensors. The front sensors are missing though.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for all your responses. I guess I will have to live with the OE HU. Will get a digital music player and AUX it. I wish the OE HUs come with a simple USB socket!
Old 4th June 2007, 15:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Thank you for all your responses. I guess I will have to live with the OE HU. Will get a digital music player and AUX it. I wish the OE HUs come with a simple USB socket!
hi,

i dont think the OE HU comes with a aux in. just check in the manual if there is an aux i.

cheers
clip
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 18:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

i am booking the car this week.. and this is one of my complaints about the car.. so wanted to see if i could do something about it before the delivery. regards.
Old 11th June 2007, 10:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just checked and Elegance does not come with AUX IN. Will have to look at L&K now.
Old 11th June 2007, 10:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

The L&K Lolla has an aux in under the front arm rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just checked and Elegance does not come with AUX IN. Will have to look at L&K now.
Old 27th October 2007, 13:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

There is a unit which plugs nto back of HU made by "Denison" to enable Ipod. Only issue is that one will lose the use of the CD
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 13:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

forgot to update this thread. i actually booked L&K.. may I say mainly because of AUX-IN and black color!!

i also bought a digital mp3 player called iAudio as it runs on AA batteries. i got tired of Li-Ion batteries rendering digital devices useless.
Old 27th October 2007, 14:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Androdev! Time for some snaps of the black beauty.