Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th August 2010, 08:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Just the best

@shuvc - No fixed budget in mind. Just the objective of giving Predator the best . If cash runs out, I dont mind buying one item and waiting some months before getting another.

Availability is not a consideration either. Have quite a few friends/relatives staying in the US, most of whom come down to India in winter. Can ask them to pick up stuff for me.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Ok, after a week of R&Ding ICE (as always, tbhp is a great help), the following are the points in consideration.

1. Amp will most certainly be the Infinity Kappa 4. The more I research it, the more I'm impressed with the reviews. Certainly a powerhouse. 125w RMS per channel is a good output!

2. To support the 125w power output, I need powerful front components (which must not sound too bright). Have spent considerable time researching the perfect front comps. Infinity Kappa 60.9s are out, as the general consensus is they're too bright. Illusions are about 70w RMS. JL Audio ZR650s cost the earth, VR650 is said to be discontinued, while TR650 is too basic . Currently deliberating the following:

Morel Maximo (90W RMS)
DLS R6A (80W RMS)
Alpine SPR 17S (110w RMS)

Note its just not the RMS I'm looking at. All 3 are generally regarded to be not so bright.

3. Rear Speakers - The stock Verna 6X9s are only 20w RMS. Though I'll not run them through the amp, I still want to change them to something that'll atleast keep up with the rest of the powerhouse. Still stuck on Illusion EL693s.

4. Sub - Sob sob, no one has given any suggestions. Still considering Infinity Kappa 120.9. Will get a custom enclosure made.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 09:39   #17
BHPian

I like the hertz sub. Dont know size or specifications. Have heard it. Loved the bass. Wasnt irritating. Pretty tight bass.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 10:13   #18
BHPian

Have a Look at my setup , may be you can find something intresting

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...erna-iced.html
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 11:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
@shuvc - No fixed budget in mind. Just the objective of giving Predator the best . If cash runs out, I dont mind buying one item and waiting some months before getting another.
Now this, my friend, is a dangerous statement in the ICE section.

Quote:
1. Amp will most certainly be the Infinity Kappa 4. The more I research it, the more I'm impressed with the reviews. Certainly a powerhouse. 125w RMS per channel is a good output!

2. To support the 125w power output, I need powerful front components (which must not sound too bright). Have spent considerable time researching the perfect front comps. Infinity Kappa 60.9s are out, as the general consensus is they're too bright. Illusions are about 70w RMS. JL Audio ZR650s cost the earth, VR650 is said to be discontinued, while TR650 is too basic . Currently deliberating the following:

Morel Maximo (90W RMS)
DLS R6A (80W RMS)
Alpine SPR 17S (110w RMS)

Note its just not the RMS I'm looking at. All 3 are generally regarded to be not so bright.

3. Rear Speakers - The stock Verna 6X9s are only 20w RMS. Though I'll not run them through the amp, I still want to change them to something that'll atleast keep up with the rest of the powerhouse. Still stuck on Illusion EL693s.

4. Sub - Sob sob, no one has given any suggestions. Still considering Infinity Kappa 120.9. Will get a custom enclosure made.
Good choice of equipment. As you are looking for components that are not very bright, see if you can source the Morel Dotech Ovations from US. I heard Morel products are imported by PTC India and the pricing is very competetive, so if not from US, they can be bought locally.

Infinity Kappa 4 - Great Amp. Another option will be to source DLS RA20 from US. Power the components with 135 watts of DLS reference power and get a mono for the subwoofer.

Rear Speakers should be bought at the last if you feel something is missing.

Sub - Infinity Kappa 120.9 should be the most VFM SQ sub in the Indian market for sure. You can also consider the Image Dynamcics Q series (IDQ).

Good luck for your ICE quest!
thelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 22:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Have a Look at my setup , may be you can find something intresting
Oh I did, I did quite a few times. In fact it was after reading your thread that I decided to stick with the stock HU. Compare my last post to the first, and you'll notice I didn't mention the replacement HU this time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Now this, my friend, is a dangerous statement in the ICE section.
Yeah I know. Surprised I didn't get butchered for it as yet.

Quote:
Good choice of equipment. As you are looking for components that are not very bright, see if you can source the Morel Dotech Ovations from US. I heard Morel products are imported by PTC India and the pricing is very competetive, so if not from US, they can be bought locally.

Infinity Kappa 4 - Great Amp. Another option will be to source DLS RA20 from US. Power the components with 135 watts of DLS reference power and get a mono for the subwoofer.
Any idea how much the Morel Dotechs would cost? Just tentative.

The DLS is certainly a powerful Amp. But monos are expensive anyways, so is the DLS. Don't want to further stretch the cost right now.

Quote:
Rear Speakers should be bought at the last if you feel something is missing.

Good luck for your ICE quest!
I was initially thinking of keeping the OEM speakers, until I crept into the boot and discovered they're only 20W RMS. Don't you think they're too much of a misfit compared to the rest of the powerhouse? Actual opinion wanted.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 23:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much the Morel Dotechs would cost? Just tentative.

The DLS is certainly a powerful Amp. But monos are expensive anyways, so is the DLS. Don't want to further stretch the cost right now.

I was initially thinking of keeping the OEM speakers, until I crept into the boot and discovered they're only 20W RMS. Don't you think they're too much of a misfit compared to the rest of the powerhouse? Actual opinion wanted.
Should be 25k+. Here is some information that I got from the Morel website. Morel Loudspeakers - Dealer Locator

And yes, don't keep the OEM 20W speakers. You can replace them with better coaxials from Blaupunkt/Polk/Infinity and keep the gains low, or use Fader so that they don't interfere with the front sound stage.
thelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 09:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Oh I did, I did quite a few times. In fact it was after reading your thread that I decided to stick with the stock HU. Compare my last post to the first, and you'll notice I didn't mention the replacement HU this time .

atlast some knowledge is better then no knowledge . but if you use stock hu , you cant run rear speakers as rear channel of hu is used as Sub Pre out.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 21st August 2010 at 09:21.
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 10:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

How much is the Kappa 4 in Calcutta? If the price difference is not huge, I'd get the amp locally. Better to buy expensive electronics here and have local support/warranty.

You could get the speakers and wiring from the US. And if your 'courier' is willing, even the sub.

And yes, as NOTORIOUS mentioned, if you keep the stock HU, you wont be able to run the rear speakers. I have a similar setup.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
... but if you use stock hu , you cant run rear speakers as rear channel of hu is used as Sub Pre out.
Sub-out in a stock HU? Which make is this? Usually the Sub-out is alternate (switchable) to Rear-out.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sub-out in a stock HU? Which make is this? Usually the Sub-out is alternate (switchable) to Rear-out.
The HU in question is this. Kenwood DPX-MP4070 CD/MP3/WMA/cassette receiver at Crutchfield.com

It has 2 pre outs at 1.8Volts.

One question, in situations of basic ICE where a HU is used with single pre out, the front and rear speakers are connected to a single wire coming out of the HU. Even in this case the fader can be used to shift the sound back and forth. So therefore in this case considering this HU has only 2 pre outs, can't an RCA splitter be used, or say the rear speaker wires be tapped onto either of the two wires coming from the HU? Will this hamper sound quality?
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
... basic ICE where a HU is used with single pre out, the front and rear speakers are connected to a single wire ... Even in this case the fader can be used to shift the sound back and forth. ... 2 pre outs, can't an RCA splitter be used, or say the rear speaker wires be tapped onto either of the two wires coming from the HU? Will this hamper sound quality?
When one uses just 1 pair of Pre-outs to feed both front and rear through an amp, the Fader can't/won't work.

With 2 pre-outs, yes one can connect the rear channel (not sub-out mode) to the rear channel of the amp (feeding rear speakers; Fader will work), and use a splitter to feed the sub-amp. In this case, LPF can be set at the amp and not in the HU. The 2nd facility that the sub-out setting at the HU gives is the level control - for this one could buy an amp (usually a mono) which has a separately wired sub level control.

A different way of tackling the situation would be to connect the rear speakers to the HU, connect front and rear (configured as Sub-out) Preouts to the amp, and connect the Sub across the rear channel pair bridged. In this method, both the Fader and Sub-out will work.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 11:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

My collection of ICE stuff just started on an unexpected note. While most of the key components are yet to be sourced, I picked up a pair of JBL GT5 S396s from NOS Power. They were fitted in his previous car. The car has been sold now, and he was looking to sell the coaxials off.

They are not overtly powerful, just the right balance to go with the rest of the planned setup. Plus I've been told that GT5s work well even if you don't amp them, and just run them through the HU.

Quote:
And yes, don't keep the OEM 20W speakers. You can replace them with better coaxials from Blaupunkt/Polk/Infinity and keep the gains low, or use Fader so that they don't interfere with the front sound stage.
I just did, read above.

Also, have finalized on the Alpine R Series SPR 17S for the front components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
How much is the Kappa 4 in Calcutta? If the price difference is not huge, I'd get the amp locally. Better to buy expensive electronics here and have local support/warranty.

You could get the speakers and wiring from the US. And if your 'courier' is willing, even the sub.
Karan is yet to quote me a price on the parts. In the meantime, an office colleague claiming to have an accessories dealer friend called him up for the IK4. He was quoted 40K!!!!

If Karan's quote is anywhere as expensive, I'll have no choice but to import everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
And yes, as NOTORIOUS mentioned, if you keep the stock HU, you wont be able to run the rear speakers. I have a similar setup.
Yes, figured that part out after a lot of R&D. It does seem difficult to run the entire setup on an HU with 2 pre-outs. Now I'm considering this HU. Lovely list of features (including 3 pre outs), not that expensive, and highly recommended.

JVC KW-XR810 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

Name:  x105KWXR810o_mt.jpeg
Views: 1361
Size:  16.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
With 2 pre-outs, yes one can connect the rear channel (not sub-out mode) to the rear channel of the amp (feeding rear speakers; Fader will work), and use a splitter to feed the sub-amp. In this case, LPF can be set at the amp and not in the HU. The 2nd facility that the sub-out setting at the HU gives is the level control - for this one could buy an amp (usually a mono) which has a separately wired sub level control.

A different way of tackling the situation would be to connect the rear speakers to the HU, connect front and rear (configured as Sub-out) Preouts to the amp, and connect the Sub across the rear channel pair bridged. In this method, both the Fader and Sub-out will work.
Thank you, that was a lovely piece of information. But as you can see, I've decided to switch to an aftermarket HU now.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:44   #28
BHPian

Anyone has feedback on the JVC KW-XR810. Lot of mouthwatering features including 3 pre-outs. JVC India have now launched JVC KW-XR816 with three 5V preouts as well including bluetooth builtin with an external mic. I'm also considering this for my Verna. The variable illuminiation will also be good to make the HU look totally stock by matching it with dashboard lighting. Will be great to get a feedback. The web reviews all sounds positive. MRP is 14999/-.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 22nd September 2010 at 08:45.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 14:08   #29
BHPian

Default Re: What ICE for Verna SX ABS?

Hey, I'm in the same boat (Verna pun intended), just bought a used Verna Sx CRDi, comes with the same fitment as anshuman's friend.
My budget is a little lower however, with only 25K to spare including a Head Unit. Maximum stretch, 30K.
Please no more than that, I've heard stories about how people come on this section with Rs. 10,000 budgets and walk away with Rs. 40,000 systems.

I need to replace the stock double-din Kenwood HU, with something that supports USB and Aux.
Also Cannot sacrifice any boot space, as the car will be used mostly for out of town trip with loads of luggage.

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks Guys

P.S. Sorry, forgot to mention my music tastes.
A mix of Classic Rock (The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin) with Hip-Hop/Club/Party Rock (David Guetta, Black Eyed Peas, LMFAO)

Last edited by kadanaJ : 27th December 2010 at 14:17.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote