Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 17:52   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I thought they would be eXPLODed!
that will be the sony not the Bass & Trouble...lol

And guys we are going quite off-topic. we need to get back on track.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 18:02   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Another local brand that might be resonable is Norge. They use TC series Vifa drivers.
Are they still in the market? I thought of the great triumvirate of the 70's (Cosmic, Sonodyne and Norge) only Sonodyne had managed to keep their heads above water. *shaking head* I must have inherited some genes from Rip van Winkle.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 18:06   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
And guys we are going quite off-topic. we need to get back on track.
Yes, sir.
I think all forums related to electronics are also subject to the signal processing problems in electronics: drift, white noise, pink noise, RF interference, EM radiation, impedance mismatch, ...
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 18:15   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
These are not from ebay they have been bought by a friend from a store so they cannot be fake ...
What about the rear speakers now and damping ???
for the rear it is up to personal taste if one want he can put one if not then they can be omitted. as I am have only the speakers in the front only.

as for the damping first check if you require it...
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 18:23   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
for the rear it is up to personal taste if one want he can put one if not then they can be omitted. as I am have only the speakers in the front only.
I am going to do the same. I feel rears might do more harm than good. I an not chauffeured, by the way.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 18:26   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I am going to do the same. I feel rears might do more harm than good. I an not chauffeured, by the way.
so what are your plan for the ICE setup till now. any purchases done.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 19:16   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
so what are your plan for the ICE setup till now. any purchases done.
I knew it was time to face this question as my car is 1.5 years old now and it still doesn't have any ICE
Reasons-
1. I have luxury to take my own time because for time being, my Nokia 6610 keeps me entertained during 10Km (to & fro) distance that I travel everyday. I rate the quality of its tuner and headset as "pretty impressive". Wearing it is is a real pain though (in the neck, literally!), but serves two purposes- FM and taking calls. Another little trouble is that the tuner automatically toggles between stereo and mono, especially for weak stations (I believe most of the good tuners do that to minimize noise, at the cost of stereo image).
2. The only other person who occasionally uses the car is my wife, and (luckily or unluckily, depending upon the situation) she is not at all fond of music. So, no pressure from her.
3. I have a little daughter, but she is too young to demand any ICE.

The bottom line is that the decision solely depends on me, and I don't have strong reasons to hurry (as opposed to so many reasons to delay it, which you must be aware of by now!). Hope you are not thinking that I am doing all that audio research just to make buying decisions... no way...that is just an excuse, actually I am bitten and infected by the audiophilia bug... everything is just to feed the quest And don't get an impression that I am a "chikoo", I spent sizable amount of money on alloys, upgraded tires, security system, sun films, exhaust collar, under body coating etc. right in the beginning. My family thinks I am quite generous and have no bargaining skills whatsoever! It is just that audio is a special case for me
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 19:27   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

will be waiting for your upgrade then. and will be help to help you if something comes across..
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 19:50   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Thanks! but don't expect it to be anything legendary like your's, because I don't think I will ever put myself too far on the right side of "law of diminishing returns" graph!
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 20:01   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Thanks! but don't expect it to be anything legendary like your's, because I don't think I will ever put myself too far on the right side of "law of diminishing returns" graph!
Sir my system is not at all legendary but the thread on this forum is...
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 20:26   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

OK, let me put it in other words: It won't come anywhere close to your's, money wise! ... because SQ wise I don't think there can be any definitive answer. DerAlte probably could have come up with a neat SQ de-rating factor of 0.5 to 0.8, but I don't know what mathematics he uses... or any radio-shack SQ meter that he may have
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 20:50   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Yes, that was in the list and so were Cadence, Torvin & Pulz also.
(Shirke and co) Cadence are still sticking to their roots. (Ram) Pulz is now into selling to Doordarshan (et. al) and I dont know about Torvin they are based in Chennai and I am told they make nice cabinets. The newer barnds like (Prashant) Pandam, Telome etc... are selling to the masses and small restaurants. Nagpal and his daugher at Sonotone (never into fully finsihed speakers) is now largely into PA Audio (Thailiand).

Other brands I seem to remember were Enbee (now dead) and (Sushil) Nova Audio (now a dealer of high end equipment like SE tube amps and turntables). The owners (Desais I think) of Cosmic have shut shop. For a while there in the 80s I had heard they were trying their hand at building fiberglass motorcycle helmets and the Arphi broithers broke up and one branch is selling hearing aids.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 23:08   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
OK, let me put it in other words: It won't come anywhere close to your's, money wise! ... because SQ wise I don't think there can be any definitive answer. DerAlte probably could have come up with a neat SQ de-rating factor of 0.5 to 0.8, but I don't know what mathematics he uses... or any radio-shack SQ meter that he may have

Sir you cannot match it as your one would be expensive as my setup is being gifted to me...

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 27th June 2007 at 23:09.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 23:14   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
(Shirke and co) Cadence are still sticking to their roots. (Ram) Pulz is now into selling to Doordarshan (et. al) and I dont know about Torvin they are based in Chennai and I am told they make nice cabinets. The newer barnds like (Prashant) Pandam, Telome etc... are selling to the masses and small restaurants. Nagpal and his daugher at Sonotone (never into fully finsihed speakers) is now largely into PA Audio (Thailiand).

Other brands I seem to remember were Enbee (now dead) and (Sushil) Nova Audio (now a dealer of high end equipment like SE tube amps and turntables). The owners (Desais I think) of Cosmic have shut shop. For a while there in the 80s I had heard they were trying their hand at building fiberglass motorcycle helmets and the Arphi broithers broke up and one branch is selling hearing aids.
(Sigh, sniff!) Thanks, Navin, for rekindling old memories.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 23:19   #60
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Der Alte if you were ever into DIY these numbers will mean something. hint they are driver models. I actually built a speaker that had one of each. Guess the manufacturer.
12065
10065
8065
5060
0210
0163
0140
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevy SRV Driven Mani Srinivasan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 59 22nd August 2006 17:53
Chevrolet SRV Launced Rtech The Indian Car Scene 137 21st August 2006 17:23
Suzuki Reno = Chevy SRV amit The Indian Car Scene 24 25th July 2006 19:35
Preview:Chevy SRV with PICS caroholic1 The Indian Car Scene 1 3rd July 2006 18:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks