Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th June 2007, 21:21   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I just love the way Navin has integrated the woofer box almost flush with the wheel arch. Navin, did you make 2 of those by any chance?
Rtech. I made only one but really it aint that hard I'll see if I can find the rough frame I am built. It is all yours. You will need an amp though to drive the sub.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 21:56   #32
SRK
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!
Great Setup..

Looks powerful to me..Does the car vibrate??
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 22:14   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
SKodas are built well and I did use some damping as well.
Old 28th June 2007, 23:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
WOW!!
Great Setup..

All the energy that is not converted to sound waves (and some of that as well, acts as catalyst) is actually let out of a specially tuned vent near the exhaust (not visible in @iraghava's pics) to act like a booster rocket. Conversely, the front Scanspeak speakers perform the dual role of regenerative braking when going downhill.
All in all, it saves 11.83% of the energy that would have otherwise gone out of the exhaust with greenhouse gases. Energy Star compliant system - Bharat Phase V.

Last edited by DerAlte : 28th June 2007 at 23:07.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 23:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
All in all, it saves 11.83% of the energy that would have otherwise gone out of the exhaust with greenhouse gases. Energy Star compliant system - Bharat Phase V.
quite nice and accurate calculation you have done here.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 23:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
The speakers in the front are:

2 13cm Vifa midbass HPF at 250Hz and 2nd order LR Passive XO at about 3kHz
2 D26NC Vifa tweeter with Blau Velocity grill 2nd order LR passive XO at about 3kHz.
Both driven by the 4-ch Alpine amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I am a little confused here ..they are crossed at 250 Hz ??? is it to high

Navin Ji my question is still pending.
Old 29th June 2007, 01:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the energy that is not converted to sound waves (and some of that as well, acts as catalyst) is actually let out of a specially tuned vent near the exhaust (not visible in @iraghava's pics) to act like a booster rocket. Conversely, the front Scanspeak speakers perform the dual role of regenerative braking when going downhill.
Now that was some imagination sir, great stuff!!!!!!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 11:23   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All the energy that is not converted to sound waves ..All in all, it saves 11.83% of the energy that would have otherwise gone out of the exhaust with greenhouse gases. Energy Star compliant system - Bharat Phase V.
At the least this made me smile. Thank you.

You can well imagine that if I save only 11.83% how much energy KBM saves. After all his woofers are facing the rear so when his woofer cone push outward his car actually accerates faster (Newtons Thrid Law of Motiion). Since you are so adept at these calcualtions (it involvs 5th order polynomials and Finite Element Analysis of Statiscial Dynamics) I will leave you to compute the energy saves.

BTW your insight into the redeployment of this energy might alos be the answer to Sam's question when LBM posted a photo of himself with a Cosmic 5000 amp ("you were a cute kid, what happened"). Bass energy has it's side effects. LBM and myself are living examples of this.

As for LBM's questions...
The XO is 1st order so in only down 6db at 125Hz.

Only the infinity sub get the output from the HU's sub out. The Blau midbasses actually are fed from the rear outs. The rear outs are HPFed at 60hz/2nd order.

Initially I tried using the Blau amp LPF at 150-200Hz (2nd order) but I was getting too many phasing problems with the 6.5" woofer and the 13cm midbass so I figured why not try 1st order passive line level filters and it worked better. Now since it was 1st order I just upped the XO freq since th outputs even an octave lower/higher will be only 6db down. It was a "best compromise" solution.

A real solution to my problem would have been to use 3 way components in the front and rear but this involves using too many door modifications (the skoda door panel is not easy to replicate) and also too much room for the rear. I even had pairs of 3 way A/D/S speakes at my disposal for this.

had this been 1994 instead of 2004 maybe I wiould have "gone crazy". Today I live vicariously through this forum and people like you.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
("you were a cute kid, what happened"). Bass energy has it's side effects. LBM and myself are living examples of this.
Poore reply mein se yahi samajh mein aaya!!!!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 14:57   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not touching the Himesh issue. Close frineds of mine (their 5 yr old daughter's name is Aashini and her father is on this forum) believe that my son sounds like Himesh. Apparently Himesh also has a nasal twang to his voice. I dont know if that is good or bad.
Ok so I am quoting myself. I told you I was wierd and you dont listen, you say I am a Guru or something like that.

Anyway I got the chance to hear Himesh yesterday on TV. He was being interviewed as it was his mom's bday. Damn everything he sang sounds the same. How can people listen to that? Atleast Ms. Shake-era, Spears and Aguilera and co. can pout nicely.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok so I am quoting myself. I told you I was wierd and you dont listen, you say I am a Guru or something like that.

Anyway I got the chance to hear Himesh yesterday on TV. He was being interviewed as it was his mom's bday. Damn everything he sang sounds the same. How can people listen to that? Atleast Ms. Shake-era, Spears and Aguilera and co. can pout nicely.
There was some all night wake up singing thing going on near our neighborhood, and they guy singing had a himesh like voice. Every time he did that ooooooo all the stray dogs started along with. So its wrong to say that himesh is not liked.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 15:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

today his movie is released and our mod NC has gone to see the first day first show.....
Old 29th June 2007, 15:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
today his movie is released and our mod NC has gone to see the first day first show.....
This is not correct information LBM. Our mod NC is in the movie, however it is a small part.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 16:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Initially I had just the VRT 6.5" but the bottom octave was missing so I replaced them with the 12" but the octave between 100hz and 200Hz was not nice so I decided to use the 12" below 100Hz and use the VRT 6.5 above it. If I had not needed the VRT 6.5 I would have put them in my FIL's Swift.
Sir what a setup every possible frequency of sound that the human ear can hear covered.How can you distinguish betwen 100 hz and 200hz ultra sensitive ears with inbuilt sound frequency meters?
also your car has the subwoofer placing towards the right instead of the coventional rear facing setup.Can you please briefly educate me about the dynamics of subwoofer placement.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 16:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
How can you distinguish betwen 100 hz and 200hz ultra sensitive ears with inbuilt sound frequency meters?
????

Without discounting Navin's hearing in any wa, let me say, its not hard or difficult really. You just need to know what you're looking for. Its the most distinguishable 100 Hz in the audible spectrum after 0-100 Hz.

If you identify something like the 8200-8300 Hz band correctly, then you got ultra sensitive ears or whatever for sure.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote