Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th July 2007, 19:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I used to import these
Foam Speaker Baffles at Crutchfield.com

but I just fabricate them out sponge rubber sheet now
Import and sell? Or you use them? Which of your cars has this? Won't it badly mess up the rear wave of the speaker? That foam will act like the second spider for the speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Correction LBM, if water gets into the voice coil it WILL damage the speaker to the point that any repair will not restore it's original specs.
Why do you say this?

Today I am asking too many questions, sorry about that.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 19:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Why do you say this?

Today I am asking too many questions, sorry about that.

the water if it reacts with the coil and also the adhesive might loose its grip and damage the speakers...but I remember some where in the forum you point out that in the mumbai floods the car with illusion audio speakers were submerged under water when recovered and then played it played very happy..bolo tara rara.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 20:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

it took me some time but here it is..and dont ask me how I found the post...lol

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/252050-post9.html (want to fit music system in my 800)

Quote:
Lol, that sure is a lot of equipment for a poor ol' 800. I hope people don't start forcing the poor guy to change the car first! BUT, if you think that takes the cake, gimme some time and I'll post some pics of a guy who has a full Illusion Audio Carbon Series setup in a .....brace yourself.... a 1976 Premier Padmini!!! Complete with fiberglass speaker pods and soundproofing. The two pairs of speakers in the car are worth Rs. 51000/- and the sub is a whopping 15" operating infinite baffle behind the rear seats, costing Rs. 45000/-. The setup is driven off an older top-of-the-line Alpine HU feeding the signal to German Magnat amps and full Stinger cabling. The real dampener however was that his car drowned in the rains last year, and the only equipment that emerged completely unharmed from the dowpour was the Illusion gear since they are practically waterproof.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 6th July 2007 at 20:28.
Old 6th July 2007, 20:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
the water if it reacts with the coil and also the adhesive might loose its grip and damage the speakers...but I remember some where in the forum you point out that in the mumbai floods the car with illusion audio speakers were submerged under water when recovered and then played it played very happy..bolo tara rara.
Should logically depend on the speaker materials.

I think all materials in the drivers, other than the cone - if it is paper (tab to forget it, lag gaya choona) - and possibly spider, are water-proof or -repellant. (Does anyone use paper former for the voice coil anymore?) Even the adhesives are water repellant.

So, the possibilities (after water dries off) can only be
- salt deposition after the water has evaporated may corrode and ultimately fail the materials
- deformation in the spider may cause problems
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 22:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
So, the possibilities (after water dries off) can only be
- salt deposition after the water has evaporated may corrode and ultimately fail the materials
- deformation in the spider may cause problems

very true..the salt present in the water can do more the damage.
Old 6th July 2007, 22:28   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Import and sell?
Won't it badly mess up the rear wave of the speaker?
That foam will act like the second spider for the speaker.
Why do you say this?
No I just imported them for my own use.
It did influence the rear wave but given that it acted lilke a resistive vent it infact tightened up the mid bass if anything. Since I use a sub in all my cars I did not notice the effect on the low bass.

I had 4 scanspeak woofers in my car during 26/7. The car was flooded. By the time I got the car to the workshop 7 days later the coils had corroded beyond repair.

26/7 was a tuesday. My family and I had to move out of our apartment by wednesday ngiht as we still did not have electricity and since we had no fridge we had ru out of food esp for our then 30 month old son. By the time electricity was restored it was friday and it was the following tuesday that I managed to get the car to a garage. 7 days was enough to corrode 3 of the 4 voice coils.

A short splash is ok but a proper dunking in water seem to be too much esp if not treated immeidiately.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 22:31   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it took me some time but here it is..and dont ask me how I found the post
I am amazed. I wont ask. Magicians never reveal their secrets anyway.
Old 7th July 2007, 01:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am amazed. I wont ask. Magicians never reveal their secrets anyway.
No sir it just requires some patience and some little of memory..and anyone can do it.
Old 7th July 2007, 12:27   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No sir it just requires some patience and some little of memory..and anyone can do it.
patience and memory. Two things I lack.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
patience and memory. Two things I lack.
Sir at this age I expect some patience from your side. and you have a very good memory.
Old 7th July 2007, 18:16   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir at this age I expect some patience from your side. and you have a very good memory.
He has patience with you LBM. As far as memory, he's probably forgotten what you're going on about lol.

He never forgets some things though lol
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 20:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Should logically depend on the speaker materials.

I think all materials in the drivers, other than the cone - if it is paper (tab to forget it, lag gaya choona) - and possibly spider, are water-proof or -repellant.
I feel so, too. So, paper cones should be a no-no, at least for car audio?

I am concerned about environmental issues like mere long term exposure to air during normal usage and accidental (rain-) water spillage. The speakers on my mind right now are polk mmc6500 and alpine spx-177r (as mentioned elsewhere). The first one is "marine" grade which uses carbon fiber cone and the later one uses "wood fiber" (or "hemp fiber" in some variants). Does anyone know whether "wood" and/or "hemp" cones would be vulnerable to environment as such (and water in particular)?

Quote:
it took me some time but here it is..and dont ask me how I found the post...lol

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/252050-post9.html (want to fit music system in my 800)
OT: Read (a part of) that thread out of curiosity... oh man... what a fight I used to think that the debate on xyz sub was the nastiest, and used to feel a bit guilty also (for being one of the active participants!). But not any more, actually I am relieved now from the guilt!!!

Last edited by santosh.s : 7th July 2007 at 20:10.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 03:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post

I am concerned about environmental issues like mere long term exposure to air during normal usage and accidental (rain-) water spillage. The speakers on my mind right now are polk mmc6500 and alpine spx-177r (as mentioned elsewhere). The first one is "marine" grade which uses carbon fiber cone and the later one uses "wood fiber" (or "hemp fiber" in some variants). Does anyone know whether "wood" and/or "hemp" cones would be vulnerable to environment as such (and water in particular)?

OT: Read (a part of) that thread out of curiosity... oh man... what a fight I used to think that the debate on xyz sub was the nastiest, and used to feel a bit guilty also (for being one of the active participants!). But not any more, actually I am relieved now from the guilt!!!

the paper cones are still used by the high end speaker models that to very few like DLS iridium.

about the wood cones it means that it contain paper as wood is paper so please in any case protect them from water.

ok now you relieved from your guilt , we are happy to hear that. so when are you going to use smooukoo sub in your car..p
Old 8th July 2007, 10:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post

They are treated for car audio application, making them fairly resilient. A simple paper cone wouldn't last at all in our cars.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 12:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
He never forgets some things though lol
Yup, CCTB or something like that comes to mind
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote