Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th June 2008, 19:47   #46

Hi Vishnu,
Could u solve the hissing sound from the speakers.If yes pls let me know how.

Sunil.k
linusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 23:50   #47
BHPian

hi sunil,

i'm now running all my speakers from an amplifier.

the mild hissing sound is still there. you can hear it pretty clearly when you pause in between playing songs and the head unit volume is set half way.

i don't know if this is normal but i checked different head units (all pioneer) on different cars and found that this hissing noise is present in all of them. maybe pioneer head units make a bit louder hissing noise.

p.s: now i got used to it.
vishnuvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 10:25   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
i don't know if this is normal but i checked different head units (all pioneer) on different cars and found that this hissing noise is present in all of them. maybe pioneer head units make a bit louder hissing noise.
p.s: now i got used to it.
what cables are you using?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 13:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Are you listening to FM/AM or CDs? If CDs, do you find the hiss present when you play the same CD on a PC or CD player (volume set moderately high)? If you say the noise is present with all HUs (in some cases it might have been without an amp), it is quite likely the hiss is present in the source, not the installations.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:06   #50
BHPian

I have the following installed in my i10.

Headunit: Pioneer 5950ib
Amplifier: JBL GT-5 s644
Front: JBL GTO 608c
Rear: Auditor Co-axials
Subwoofer: Hertz DS 300
Amplifier wiring kit: Scocshe E2 E400
RCA 1 pair: EFX
Damping on front doors: Noise Kill

The front components and subwoofer are powered by the amplifier. I replaced the existing headunit with Kenwood KDC X7009U that was working fine in my other car.

Now the problem is, with the engine on, there is a disturbing noise ( chirrrrrrr.... ) in the front speakers ( coming from the tweeters to be precise ). If the RCA cables to the front channel are disconnected, the noise vanishes. But the RCA cables are not faulty because today another pair of RCA cable was tested and the noise was still present. What could be the problem?
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Grounding issues. Try grounding the HU and AMP at different locations !!
low_bass_makker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 20:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Does the noise come in both FM and CD? With the volume turned to 0? I agree with LBM, the basic cause is bad grounding. Might have been disturbed in rewiring when you changed HUs.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:45   #53
BHPian

thank you lbm and deralte for the response.

i got it rectified today. i don't know if it was grounding issue but all the cables were removed and rewired. the noise has vanished.

the place where i had done the install seemed to be too busy (read: not interested) to attend to issue. they told me that the amplifier was faulty and to take it to an electonics workshop.

but fellow member muneemmk came to my rescue and he took care of it at his shop galaxy. the guys there took the pain of checking each component and hence fixing it.
Old 31st August 2011, 23:39   #54
BHPian

Default Re: Hissing sound from speakers when not playing music. Please help.

I have a similar problem.
I was using a JBL X-333 HU (3 months old) in my car without any amp.
Recently i upgraded my ICE and added and amp and components with scosche wiring.
The HU remains the same.I hear a hissing noise from all the speakers just as the sound from a radio which is unable to receive signals.It is barely audible when the music is playing.
But in pause mode it is easily audible and increases with increasing the volume.
Anyways i had to get a new HU for my car,so i went to the shop and got installed a new kenny 7016. Problem Gone!

Now i hv installed it in my friend's car who was already using amps & components with a pioneer HU.No noise was there with the pioneer HU. After we install the X333 in there, we hear the same hiss as it was present in my car.

Is HU the culprit ? If it is then it would be easier to explain to the warranty guys.
One More thing , the hiss is not present when the speakers are directly connected to the HU.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 06:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I have a similar problem.
I was using a JBL X-333 HU (3 months old) in my car without any amp.
Recently i upgraded my ICE and added and amp and components with scosche wiring.
The HU remains the same.I hear a hissing noise from all the speakers just as the sound from a radio which is unable to receive signals.It is barely audible when the music is playing.
But in pause mode it is easily audible and increases with increasing the volume.
Anyways i had to get a new HU for my car,so i went to the shop and got installed a new kenny 7016. Problem Gone!

Now i hv installed it in my friend's car who was already using amps & components with a pioneer HU.No noise was there with the pioneer HU. After we install the X333 in there, we hear the same hiss as it was present in my car.

Is HU the culprit ? If it is then it would be easier to explain to the warranty guys.
One More thing , the hiss is not present when the speakers are directly connected to the HU.
Seems to be an issue with the RCA grounding. Similar issue was discussed before in one of the Pio units which is discussed here -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...tml#post538440

Just my two cents.

Thanks,
Venki
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 10:19   #56
BHPian

I'll try grounding the rca's but my point is , why should i need to do it when other hu's dont require the same?
Old 5th September 2011, 00:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I'll try grounding the rca's but my point is , why should i need to do it when other hu's dont require the same?
Interesting. I too have the same problem with my X-333.

When I remove the input from Amp, the hissing sound goes. It is pretty clear that the hiss is generated by the cabels on the HU (or may be grounding).

I will re-wire the cables this week as I am planning to add a sub.

If the hissing is still present, I will request shop guy to play any other HU on my amp.

It is too irritating, I have to get it rectified. As of now I have kept too less gain to avoid the noise.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 23:58   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Interesting. I too have the same problem with my X-333.

When I remove the input from Amp, the hissing sound goes. It is pretty clear that the hiss is generated by the cabels on the HU (or may be grounding).

I will re-wire the cables this week as I am planning to add a sub.

If the hissing is still present, I will request shop guy to play any other HU on my amp.

It is too irritating, I have to get it rectified. As of now I have kept too less gain to avoid the noise.
I have tried all possible options such as grounding the RCA's etc.But to no avail
Any other HU is working fine in the same setup and the same HU is producing this Hissing sound in other setup's as well.Tried in 3-4 cars.
Now finally sent to service centre.
Anyone else facing the same problem with an amp ?
Old 7th September 2011, 10:20   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried all possible options such as grounding the RCA's etc.But to no avail
Any other HU is working fine in the same setup and the same HU is producing this Hissing sound in other setup's as well.Tried in 3-4 cars.
Now finally sent to service centre.
Anyone else facing the same problem with an amp ?
Thanks for the update.
I will get it checked this week and probably do the same!

Anyone else? I
Old 10th September 2011, 23:16   #60
BHPian

I got my problem solved with replacing the JBL X333 with Kenwood U6046.
I tried replacing the speaker cables, grounding the RCA and various other options before isolating the issue to the X333.

Now absolutely no noise with the new HU.

I am happy that the dealer agreed to buy back my 8 month old X333. Though the price offered was not so great, I am still satisfied as I got rid of the irritating noise generated by X333.