Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 16th July 2007, 16:52   #136
BHPian

I have been trying very hard to differentiate between a 320 mp3 and Audio CD and so far been unsuccessful. Tried out many songs with my Grado headphones and Denon AVX and with my iPod. Also tried on my Wharfedale bookshelves. Maybe my ears are real bad!
Old 16th July 2007, 16:54   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Edit: Kya Sam, wish I'd known you were going to reply. I would have caught up on some sleep... yawn... gnite
Humm...you guys seem to be quite organized

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
I hope you are a woman....sorry but I jsut cudnt resist it lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
Quote:
So please top being a female dog about it.

no need to get abusive dude! don't be so desperate, just to prove a point.
@techn9ne, ignore these things... otherwise you will be mistaken for not being able to appreciate their great sense of humor and not being a "sport"!
So, never mind, be a sport!!!
Old 16th July 2007, 17:19   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
No I wouldn't pay more. Not a single rupee actually. Our Panny Tube HU has MP3 but we've never really used anything other than ACDs on it. Never have never will.

what does that mean? it means you don't have a very strong urge and never ever get a real bad itch to listen to music then and there. it makes you just a installer or techy guy nuthin more not a person who has spent lacs to listen to 100% pure music. just a flasher!
Old 16th July 2007, 17:37   #139
BHPian

As expected, I still haven't got my answer though
Old 16th July 2007, 18:04   #140
BHPian

@abhi: You will lose definitely quality in audio whenever u encode into any lossy data and also when when u decode again to wav before the playout.

Now this depends on the quality of the encoder/ decoder and also how good it can be done? For instance if done in hardware, the quality will not deteriorate at all.

You may argue that you can get an even better sound by fixing up ur PC inside the car and getting all codec functionality done in HW (using ur USB port) or whatever mechanism u favour.

But then if I'm getting it all in a nice box called Clarion, and I can afford it and its a great status symbol and mainly I'm not a techie/ geek to fix up my PC in the car, give me a reason why shouldnt I indulge?

-EMD
Old 16th July 2007, 18:06   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
let me try lbm. IMO this question is not valid:-) no offence bro.
its impossible. why? because everyone has different equipment like amps, subs, HU etc even if the equipment and the car is same there will still be many more thing that are different and will have an effect on the sound so the sound will differ. a person listening doesnt know how the program is recorded first of all. some of the program is badly recorded some are good. how can one tell the difference if he or she doesnt know how the original program material sounds?also, humans have too short a memory when it comes to audio comparisons. a few seconds are enough of delay to forget what you heard so i dont think one could tell if its compressed or uncompressed.

baaki its just my way of thinking. no offence again bro :-)
correct me if im wrong anywhere guys

cheers
clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
lbm,in order to differenciate between the two,one needs to listen to the set up extinsively.even the so called'audiophiles' listen to the equipments for HOURS before comin to any conclusion.
we were only for 3-5 minutes in your car and you want us to hit the spot in the blind test!!!!!!!
Zucchero Phaji If you recall clipto post he said that humans have a very short memory when it comes to audio. Even If you try it at your home audio setup which you have at your place. you can still not tell what are you listing to an Audio CD or a 320 Kps MP3. And I can challenge that. Which I am try to make you convince chalo....

My main reason to ask this question is that the Audiophile spending on a expensive setup.

Why is he spending lacs of rupees to get the best SQ which he cannot judge? Or it is like a satisfaction he is getting that he has spend so much and he is getting the best in terms of output and SQ?
Old 16th July 2007, 18:16   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Zucchero Phaji If you recall clipto post he said that humans have a very short memory when it comes to audio. Even If you try it at your home audio setup which you have at your place. you can still not tell what are you listing to an Audio CD or a 320 Kps MP3. And I can challenge that. Which I am try to make you convince chalo....

My main reason to ask this question is that the Audiophile spending on a expensive setup.

Why is he spending lacs of rupees to get the best SQ which he cannot judge? Or it is like a satisfaction he is getting that he has spend so much and he is getting the best in terms of output and SQ?
what you are saying applies to you as well then lbm. why did you spend lacs on your equipment? was there a need when you cant judge? is it just for the satisfaction you are getting for having 3lac+ of audio equipment in your car?
are all the stegs/ids/dls worthless then?

also regarding my earlier post, i said it beacuse you were asking something which was not possible. i think sam gave the best example for what i was saying. i was trying to answer your question. i didnt say anything about blind test. also if one person coudnt judge that doesnt mean others cant. why dont you try it with gunbir? he is willing to do a comparison test. why not do it then? maybe even he cant point out the difference or maybe he can. i will try if i can make out the difference and let you know and i will do it honestly.

cheers
clip

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 16th July 2007 at 18:29.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:18   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
As expected, I still haven't got my answer though
I am waiting for the same, too

To precisely clarify what the question is:

Why would a purist CD player (in other words- "lenses pickup" or "transport" or whatever) sound better than a cheapo when it is digitally connected to rest of the system?

In case it is connected through the analog link, then I would have no problem giving the benefit of doubt to superiority of DACs and pre-amp inside the better player. But how does the quality differ between two players in the former case?

Last edited by santosh.s : 16th July 2007 at 18:21.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what you are saying applies to you as well then lbm. why did you spend lacs on your equipment? was there a need when you cant judge? is it just for the satisfaction you are getting for having 3lac+ of audio equipment in your car?
are all the stegs/ids/dls worthless then?

cheers
clip
Seriously telling I am still not satisfied till now..and planning for a new front stage also.

But there is no limit on spending. It depends how much you can spend. I am not so rich. Thats why I also listen to MP3 but at 320 Kps. And I am trying to improve on the setup which I have.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 16th July 2007 at 18:25.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:35   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not so rich.

upar wala sabko teri tarah "not so rich" banaye bhaiya LBM.

sabse pehle mereko!!
Old 16th July 2007, 18:38   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
it means you don't have a very strong urge and never ever get a real bad itch to listen to music then and there.
Loh kar lo Gheo nu bhanda

The post that you replied to says the Guy never used MP3 in his reference grade HU.
Does that automatically imply that he didnt have the song in original ACD? Or didnt have the Internet to buy the high quality version of it?

If it does not imply, then you have your answer as to why ACD was used.

If it implies then please consider the following Example:-
You are out to work. When you come out of the building, you notice that the weather is suddenly calm and cool. Ah! Perfect to go biking then.
On one hand you have the two office buddy's bikes.
A pulsar 150 (in case we are talking of a 256kbps mp3) or a Pulsar 180 (320kpbs). But you also have a Karizma back at home (ACD).

Will you go biking there and then (which is essentially a compromise)
OR
Will you prefer to rush back home, wear your fav pair of leathers, your fav. helmet and then go biking?

Will choosing the latter option mean that he is not a true biker? Just another mechanic or show off?
Old 16th July 2007, 18:38   #147

Quote:
Seriously telling I am still not satisfied till now..
i guess you will never be satisfied....no one ever is.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:44   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously telling I am still not satisfied till now..and planning for a new front stage also.

And I am trying to improve on the setup which I have.
Chal, best wishes to you brother.
This can only mean more masala for us to read at your Saga thread. LOL.
So, what's in the pipeline?
Old 16th July 2007, 18:45   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
upar wala sabko teri tarah "not so rich" banaye bhaiya LBM.

sabse pehle mereko!!
Sir If I would be a rich guy then I would have taken the Master stroke .....since I am not I had taken the K-Series.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 16th July 2007 at 18:54.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:47   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he is willing to do a comparison test.
Sir I agree that one can tell the differnce between the Audio CD and MP3 myself so no need for comparison test. What I am trying to say is that can anyone tell which of the one is being played Audio CD or MP3. Can they spot the differnce. Can they.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 16th July 2007 at 18:51.
Closed Thread