Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th August 2007, 11:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Screen? Is your "would be" JVC DVD or VCD? Also, how much are you paying for it.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 11:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
1. Is harness adapter necessary? What purpose does it fulfill?
2. Will it be available with the TATA dealer or the dealer I will be approaching for the fitment is "Driven", would he be having it? In case he doesnt can it be sourced?
1. Simplifies install and reating car warranty
2. yes. it should and maybe driven can get it for you from tata.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 10:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

@panky : Its a JVC DVD. I am yet to actually get it in my hands but I think the price quoted to me was about Rs 10K for a DVD + USB and about 7K for a DVD only. Screen is the thing you hang either from the roof or put in front of yourself to view images..like a TFT or an LCD panel kinda thing..lolz. Kidding.
@navin : roger. will ask for it. Can you pm me the drivens name, cant think of going out to the shop and not know his name.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 10:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

[quote=wanderernomad;538987@navin : roger. will ask for it. Can you pm me the drivens name, cant think of going out to the shop and not know his name.[/QUOTE]

Pm Gunbir I dont have his contact.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Gone ahead as advised by the Lord and got JBL CS2165c alongwith the JVC Giga DVD player installed. Total cost 11500 for the HU + 650 for the steering remote + 4500 for the speakers.
Thanks guys for all the advise and help. Mods please close the thread if you wish.
Old 28th August 2007, 13:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

congrats wonder; is the HU with B&W or grey? is the screen/TFT built in? Mind sharing the model # or any online link, where I can have a look.
Old 28th August 2007, 13:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gone ahead as advised by the Lord .
Congratulations wanderer. You should really stop calling me that, lol
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 17:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

wonder: please reply for my above post!
Old 28th September 2007, 15:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

@panky : sorry for the delay brother. I have sent you a pm.
@lord : If you are not seriously and grossly offended I would very much wish to continue addressing you so. More so after seeing your European odyssey but would start writing it in green now (let me see if I can do that, lolz, font colour I mean)
Old 13th December 2007, 23:18   #25
BHPian

Default Marina on the Rocks

Hi guys,
Am busy finalizing a setup for an uncle's Marina.

Head Unit: Option 1: DVD HU with USB support.
Option 2: CD/MP3 player with USB/i-pod/
bluetooth connectivity.

Front's : Illusion EL5.1 Components
Hertz DSK130/ESK130 Components

Rear's: Illusion 5.25 Coax Speakers.
Hertz DCX 130/ECX 130
Subwoofer: Zenon 12" Sub in a sealed woofer.

Amp: 4ch Pioneer GM 400f or Clarion APA450.

The sub and the amp i already have.

The HU and the speakers including the full wiring kit is to be purchased and the maximum budget for the entire gig, i.e. HU+ FR Compo+Rear SPK+wiring+ installation is 20k. Please do not exceed the budget as i have other cars to be ICE'd too.

The installation is to be in Mumbai and i need pricing and installation options.

Awaiting all the gyaan.

P.s. Need to finalize setup by Sunday night latest.

Thanks a ton. Tc
St. Anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 09:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Congratulations wanderer. You should really stop calling me that, lol
arey? you post pics of yourself surrounded with girls in orange mini skirts and what do you expect. Be happy they dont call you John. I get PMs addressing me as "Dear Bob".

Last edited by navin : 14th December 2007 at 09:36.
Old 14th December 2007, 11:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, been reading a lot of the ICE advise here and I am totally confused though I have tried to make sense out of it thanks to a lot of tech speak made easy.
My requirements :
1. Clear sound, mainly listen to soft country songs kinda stuff but definately do not pump up the volume even with fats tracks.
2. I plan to attach a roof mounted tft screen to the system, so the HU needs to play atleast VCD's and MP3.
3. Would like to have a USB port on the HU for the pendrives like the one they have on my Scorpio kenwood HU.
4. If not possible on the main HU I would like to attach a DVD player available on the customs shop here in delhi for about Rs 3500 or so, it says panasonic on the box but I am not too sure.
Budget is around 20K max.
Maybe i can develop it slowely and keep adding things by the month.
Please advise.
do you drive or will you be driven? which car is this for?
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 00:23   #28
BHPian

Hello all especially Gurus like Navin and Sam,

The Gurus of this forum must read a lot of posts like the one I am about to request your help on, but I trust you will humour me.

Will be acquiring a new Indigo Marina diesel shortly. I mention diesel, 'cos I'd like to drown out the drone of the engine.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE about ICE.

But I would like to install a half-decent system in the Marina, without voiding it's warranty and without spending a bomb. Let's say my budget is 15k max ALL INCLUSIVE (e.g. wiring, insulation, fitment, taxes et al).

I will be driving the car daily, while my wife and kid will occupy the rear seat very often.

I would like to have the following attributes :

1. A removable head-unit (for security reasons).
2. Good sound (without or with minimal distortion at higher volume) at all seat positions. Listening preferences on CD are classic rock, hard rock, western classical, oldies, and Hindi film music upto the '80s.
3. Good radio (AM FM) performance. Suggestions on exteral antenna are welcome, considering the internal antenna on the Indigo Marina usually gets poor reception often (e.g. on the Mumbai Pune expressway) ... while other vehicles seems to have no such problems.
4. USB port to read music from a pen-drive or remote hard disk.
5. DVD / VCD player.
6. (2) decently sized colour screens that can be velcro-ed to / hung off the back of the headrests. Removable, when not required, as they will be used only on long trips.
7. A hand held remote control.
7a. I would like to use the dedicated speaker locations in the car ONLY. I would NOT like to lose any functionality in the luggage compartment e.g. if the rear mounted speakers in some way protrude into the luggage compartment or are installed on the foldable luggage cover.
8. Suggestions to insulate / damp out extraneous noises that filter into the cabin - like engine noise / wind noise / road and tyre noise.
9. I intend to own the car / ICE system for a long time ... at least 5 years. Reliability / longevity is important to me. I would like to buy original components only, and will ask for a pucca receipt.
10. If I am way off base with regard to my requirements not fitting my budget, then please advise me what I should be spending to achieve the above.
11. Lastly, if 10. is the case, then I am willing to walk away from the DVD and screens, to stay within budget.

Your suggestions on make and model of components / wiring / connections, along with likely prices and locations to buy / fit the system in South Mumbai would be received with gratitude. PMs welcome too.

Over to you gents ... look forward to your considered responses.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 8th October 2008 at 00:31.
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 11:25   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
budget is 15k max ALL INCLUSIVE
1. A removable head-unit (for security reasons).
2. Good sound on CD are classic rock, hard rock, western classical, oldies
3. Good radio (AM FM) performance.
4. USB port to read music from a pen-drive or remote hard disk.

5. DVD / VCD player.
6. (2) decently sized colour screens
7. A hand held remote control.

10. If I am way off base with regard to my requirements not fitting my budget
For 15K you will get a decent HU (I would suggest Pio for their Tuner performance or JVC since they offer a USB equipped HU for about 7K) and 4 coax speakers (JBL etc..) for the stock locations. A rule of thumb would be to spend about 6-7K on the HU and 8-9K on the 4 speakers.

What I suggest you do before you buy is go down to 3-4 dealers and listen 2-3 cars that they are installing. Dont worry if the budget in those cars is different from yours, the idea here is toget an idea of what is available and the signature of the various speakers (at 15K yo wont be using an amp).

Let us know what you heard, what you liked and what you did not. The DVD/VCD, screens etc. can be added later.
Old 21st December 2008, 17:24   #30
BHPian

Hello Navin / Hi everyone,

Am following up on my post above ... and your responses thereafter.

Got the new Marina late in Nov.

Didn't do too much research, 'cept for walking around all the stalls of the ACI Perf Show. Visited one of the exhibitors at their shop.

Was advised to go with the following, given my budget, as also because I wanted to use the stock speaker locations ONLY :

Pioneer DEH-5090MP head unit ('cos I wanted iPod connectivity)
JBL 5" 2 way GT5-502 speakers in the front doors
MTX 4" XT 402 speakers in the rear (on the sides of the luggage compartment)

Going in, I was told not to expect too much performance, by way of bass, but to expect clarity. They were right on the money.

However, after living with the system for 2 weeks, I feel that a little more bass effect is in order, even for my everyday classic rock listening needs.

Pumping up the bass in the system, only results in occasional distortion on the bass notes from the little rears ... and I tend to have the fade biased towards the rears, which worsens the situation a bit. I like to have the sound rear-biased, because of the concert-hall effect.

The shop I bought the system from, originally had me thinking about having ovals mounted at the rear on a wooden plank, that would replace the luggage cover. When they heard I'd be loading the car pretty frequently and wanted to have the luggage cover in use, they went with what is fitted.

So here's my pitch to you guys : what can I do to get a bit more bass, without permanently losing space in the luggage compartment ? Please suggest makes / models / costs (if known). No, I don't want to junk what I have fitted. If possible, I'd like to make minimal swaps / additions.

Looking forward to your responses ... especially from the Gurus and other Marina owners.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 21st December 2008 at 17:27.
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote