Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th November 2012, 12:05   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
... 3) When I was playing around with the options, I used the fader to move the sound to the rear door speakers and woofer - The output was very feeble from the rear door Coaxials. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... Check the gains on the amplifier. ...
True.

Are your rear coaxials are fed from the HU? You have a sub, and it is likely to be fed from 2 channels bridged on the amp. If so, the original tuning might have ignored the rear channels completely, and this is the first time you have checked after that.

You can correct it yourself:
1. Turn the gains on the amp (both front and sub) to minimum. Set Fader to 0 on HU
2. Play some music with volume set to a level that the rear speakers sound normally loud in the rear seat
3. Keeping HU volume same, bring up the amp Front channel gain gradually, till - sitting in the front seat - you hear music just louder than the rear. You will need to bend towards the rear to hear the rear channels then
4. Slowly bring up the Sub gain till you feel the sub coming on (reducing slightly should make the sub 'disappear')
5. Test the tuning at different HU volumes, and test the Fader action once again
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:13   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
True.

Are your rear coaxials are fed from the HU? You have a sub, and it is likely to be fed from 2 channels bridged on the amp. If so, the original tuning might have ignored the rear channels completely, and this is the first time you have checked after that.

You can correct it yourself:
1. Turn the gains on the amp (both front and sub) to minimum. Set Fader to 0 on HU
2. Play some music with volume set to a level that the rear speakers sound normally loud in the rear seat
3. Keeping HU volume same, bring up the amp Front channel gain gradually, till - sitting in the front seat - you hear music just louder than the rear. You will need to bend towards the rear to hear the rear channels then
4. Slowly bring up the Sub gain till you feel the sub coming on (reducing slightly should make the sub 'disappear')
5. Test the tuning at different HU volumes, and test the Fader action once again
Thanks Navin and DerAlte!

Yes sir, the Coaxials are fed from the HU. Sub is fed from the 2 channels on the Amp.

And you are right about - "original tuning might have ignored the rear channels completely, and this is the first time you have checked after that" I spoke to the installer and he did say that the gain on the coaxials may have to be increased. now does that mean the gain on the components need to be decreased?

I wish they had done the tuning right. or is it that this is how it is usually done? (less gain on the coaxials?)

And regarding hissing noise - From what I know (and seen) they did put good quality RCA cables. Any means of checking/knowing which one's are good quality cables and which one's are not? For I know these folks who installed the ICE on my car and it is unlikely they would put use substandard cables.

DerAlte sir - You are in Bangalore so you would know Auto Shop Koramangala I hope. this is where I get my stuff done.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:29   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wish they had done the tuning right. or is it that this is how it is usually done? (less gain on the coaxials?)

And regarding hissing noise - From what I know (and seen) they did put good quality RCA cables.
Yes most installers set up the system for a good front stage. This is actually how it supposed to be done. However we in India still prefer to hear the rear speakers in the front and there is nothing wrong with that (except that it does interfere with good imaging in the front).

Which cable was used. Have your installer check if the cables are picking up hiss. The easiest way to do this is temporarily change the cable and see if the hiss goes away.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:31   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I spoke to the installer and he did say that the gain on the coaxials may have to be increased. now does that mean the gain on the components need to be decreased?

I wish they had done the tuning right. or is it that this is how it is usually done? (less gain on the coaxials?) ...
No, that is *not* how tuning is usually done! The 'tuner' is quite likely to have forgotten the step in his enthusiasm to tune.

Yes, effectively the gains for the front will reduce slightly after retuning, since you will tune them for a higher HU volume. First increase the volume in the rear seat.

Quote:
... Auto Shop Koramangala I hope. this is where I get my stuff done.
Don't make any assumptions when dealing with shops, vendors and mechanics - reputations don't mean much, and the best of them can make a presumptive mistake.

Don't go by cable brand. Just ask them to change the cable to see if that makes the hiss go away. Last resort is to ground the sockets of the LoC.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 14:47   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes most installers set up the system for a good front stage. This is actually how it supposed to be done. However we in India still prefer to hear the rear speakers in the front and there is nothing wrong with that (except that it does interfere with good imaging in the front).

Which cable was used. Have your installer check if the cables are picking up hiss. The easiest way to do this is temporarily change the cable and see if the hiss goes away.
Navin sir - if it does interfere with the good imaging in the front, do you still recommend that I increase gain on the rear? For it is me who usually is fond of music and i usually don't turn it on when with family as they find it too noisy.

Which cable was used - My bad, I did not look at the brand of the cable but I know it was taken out of a transparent sealed pouch made of semi-hard polyurethane. But I can check and let you know.

Do you recommend any specific brand of RCA cables?

Thanks again.
Old 20th November 2012, 15:14   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin sir - if it does interfere with the good imaging in the front, do you still recommend that I increase gain on the rear?

Do you recommend any specific brand of RCA cables?
I cannot tell what you will like so it is best to test it. after all the process is reversible.

Sommer makes some reasonable cables that is not too expensive.
http://www.sommercable.com/2__produk...iste_4050.html
Old 26th November 2012, 12:26   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, that is *not* how tuning is usually done! The 'tuner' is quite likely to have forgotten the step in his enthusiasm to tune.

Yes, effectively the gains for the front will reduce slightly after retuning, since you will tune them for a higher HU volume. First increase the volume in the rear seat.

Don't make any assumptions when dealing with shops, vendors and mechanics - reputations don't mean much, and the best of them can make a presumptive mistake.

Don't go by cable brand. Just ask them to change the cable to see if that makes the hiss go away. Last resort is to ground the sockets of the LoC.
Quote:
I cannot tell what you will like so it is best to test it. after all the process is reversible.
ok I got the connections checked and fixed. They had indeed screwed up the connections. Phase on the Sub was reversed and the front speaker connection was put on the rear and what not.

However after fixing the whole thing - I am not happy with the output. There is an unusual loudness in the bass. It was fine before they fixed it. Now they are blaming the car saying, too small a car for the sub, the rear panel needs to be cut open and a mesh fixed so the the sub output is evenly distributed in the car etc. All of which seems flimsy to me. I guess they just don't want to do it right or don't know how to do it.

Can anybody recommend anyone who could tune the whole thing properly?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th November 2012, 13:19   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is an unusual loudness in the bass. It was fine before they fixed it. Can anybody recommend anyone who could tune the whole thing properly? .
Just turn the gain on the amplifier that is feeding the subwoofer down.

TBHP's Bangalore directory has a few names recomended there.
Old 27th November 2012, 12:49   #369
BHPian

Need some advice from the gurus here.

In my scorpio, I have a pair of jl audio components rated at 50 watts rms in the front stage and pioneer 2150 at the rear. These are powered by a jbl x646 amplifier. I am planning to upgrade the amplifier to a jbl gto 1004. The rms power at 4 ohms is 100w. Given the rms rating of my components, can I go ahead without causing any harm to my speakers? Is there anyway I can reduce the power going to the components? Jl audio website says the recommended power per channel is 10-75 watts. Can I restrict the amp to this?
97_Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 14:16   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
... I am planning to upgrade the amplifier to a jbl gto 1004. ...
Is there a specific reason why you are upgrading the amp? What is causing the current dissatisfaction?

If used in moderation, everything will be fine - nothing to worry. Of course you will need to keep a strict watch on speaker distortion, if playing at a high volume. The onset of distortion should tell you that the speakers are being driven to its limits - would take a some time before the speaker coil burns out or the rubber surround tears. The distortion makes the music sounds harsh, and may have accompanying 'slapping' and / or 'crackling' sounds.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:40   #371
Senior - BHPian

phew! Finally got it sorted at Evo! Sathya was very patient with me and not once did he show displeasure that I got the unit installed from someone else and I am only coming to him for the touch up part. I am now fully satisfied.

Thanks Navin and DerAlte!
Old 27th November 2012, 16:19   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a specific reason why you are upgrading the amp? What is causing the current dissatisfaction?
Actually there is no dissatisfaction as such. I'm going to upgrade my subwoofer and also remove the current 2 channel which is powering it and swap it with a mono. So I thought y not upgrade the 4 channel amp as well? If there is not much difference in the output then I will not change the 4 channel. What would you suggest?
Old 27th November 2012, 18:54   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Actually there is no dissatisfaction as such. ...
IMHO you should just get the mono (or a more powerful 2 channel amp) and shift the sub to it.

I am suggesting this because you are already used to the sound signature with the current amp, and it is decent enough to drive the drivers you have. After shifting the sub, use the freed up channels of the 4ch amp to feed the rear speakers.
Old 27th November 2012, 20:12   #374
BHPian

I think that makes sense too, DerAlte.

I'll just get a new mono and more powerful sub (currently have the jbl cs1215 which has served me well for the past 2 n half years). Now I feel it does not produce that 'tight' and controlled bass which I want. Hence the upgrade. Thanks for your advice
Old 30th November 2012, 22:13   #375
BHPian

Anyone here with feedback/experience with an infinity kappa perfect 12.1 subwoofer? I've come across one which is for sale. Is it good for sq? Does it give that 'precise' and controlled bass?