Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 10:57   #496
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Experts, What video formats can I play on avh-5590bt ?
It would support video playback for 'DivX/MPEG-1, -2, -4' formats via USB port.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 18:52   #497
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

1. Your Car: I20 2010 Asta Diesel

2. Your current setup (If any): HU and Speakers(OEM).It has the steering controls as well. (I would like to retain the HU if possible)

3. Your Budget: 60K INR+(-10K)

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I drive it personally

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Metal,( Death/grind-core/Doom/), Hard-rock, Classic Rock, Hip Hop.

Additional Information:
I have the OEM-HU which sounds decent but I feel they are under-powered although the clarity can be put up with.Its very difficult to identify the instruments clearly in Metal, especially the bass-lines, from an already low set of frequencies most of Metal music is at. I would like to especially focus on clarity with a good amount of Bass.( Looking at a dual Sub setup). Studio level sq? (Am I allowed to be that greedy?)
Also is a 5.1 audio system available for this budget? Or is it only for the Premium segment cars(I am looking at you Audi!)

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Absolutely!
cUjO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 14:10   #498
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 14
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hey bhpians,

A quick question. Can Blaupunkt DSP 470 amp support Rockford Fosgate R2D2 Sub by bridging 2 channels?

Thanks
Thumper1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 14:24   #499
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by cUjO View Post
1. Your Car: I20 2010 Asta Diesel

2. Your current setup (If any): HU and Speakers(OEM).It has the steering controls as well. (I would like to retain the HU if possible)

3. Your Budget: 60K INR+(-10K)

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I drive it personally

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Metal,( Death/grind-core/Doom/), Hard-rock, Classic Rock, Hip Hop.

Additional Information:
I have the OEM-HU which sounds decent but I feel they are under-powered although the clarity can be put up with.Its very difficult to identify the instruments clearly in Metal, especially the bass-lines, from an already low set of frequencies most of Metal music is at. I would like to especially focus on clarity with a good amount of Bass.( Looking at a dual Sub setup). Studio level sq? (Am I allowed to be that greedy?)
Also is a 5.1 audio system available for this budget? Or is it only for the Premium segment cars(I am looking at you Audi!)

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Absolutely!

Hey guys! I have another addon to the above mentioned subwoofer problem. Would it be better to have a couple of 8/10 inchers or a couple of 12 inches for heavy metal? Would the delay be acceptable in case of the 12 inchers? I haven't found any good info on a good sound setup for my kind of music anywhere on the web. hence the experts here in TBHP are my last resort! Help!!
cUjO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 14:58   #500
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,869 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1604 View Post
... Can Blaupunkt DSP 470 amp support Rockford Fosgate R2D2 Sub by bridging 2 channels? ...
Yes it can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cUjO View Post
... Would the delay be acceptable in case of the 12 inchers? ...
What delay are you referring to here - the ability of the cone to keep up? Or integration with the front image?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 16:25   #501
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hey DerAlte!
I am definitely looking at the ability of the cone to keep up to the challenge of playing music over 200BPM and to keep the soundstage integration as tight as possible. From my experience with metal, especially those with blast beats, it gets extremely difficult to seperate the different instruments especially the bass drum and the bass guitar when there is tons of distortion and speed involved. I wanted to know if the 12 inchers in a pair would only justify hiphop/edm type of music( which I enjoy as well) or if I may need to compromise with the size there so that it would do fine on any of these genres. This is what is confusing, as I feel it would effect the overall setup budget.
cUjO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 13:26   #502
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,869 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by cUjO View Post
... ability of the cone to keep up to the challenge of playing music over 200BPM ... if the 12 inchers in a pair would only justify hiphop/edm type of music ...
200 BPM: Most of this is actually handled by the mid-bass, not the sub. Your midbass needs to be really good. Infinity Kappa, Rainbow, DLS, Morel, JL Audio - high end models.

The sub has to have a light stiff cone (fiber glass, carbon fibre, specially treated paper, etc.), not something that buckles on large rapid cone movement.

If someone has Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub in their car, take your music along and listen to it on their system to audition it. There are fast subs from Ground Zero, JL Audio, and a few others - you have to search for what is available in the market.

Hip-hop bass - loud resonant electronic bass - is easy to reproduce in even low cost subs, especially with ported enclosures. But, the problem with these is the boominess (self resonance in box). EDM would work best with sealed enclosures. A fast sub will be able to smoothly handle Hip-hop and EDM bass.

Whether 8+12", 10+10" or 12+12" or a single 12 or 15" is a matter of how loud you want to go (more cone area = more air moved = louder bass). If fast low bass is irreplaceable for you, you may also need to use a Mono amp just to drive the sub.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 21:31   #503
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 3,820 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

I noticed these small indentations(?) on the front right speaker ( a 4 year old Bolt from Lightning Audio ).
Is this normal? If it is a damage, is it a serious one validating a change of speaker or can it be ignored?
I haven't noticed any change in sound quality from the speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-img_20140117_155834_20140117_193620.jpg  

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-img_20140117_155921_20140117_193652.jpg  

schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 22:43   #504
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,779
Thanked: 1,210 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

if there is no sounds coming from the speaker - rubbing or vibrations etc, don't bother. speakers are hardy and can survive a lot of mechanical damage
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 08:50   #505
BHPian
 
harsha.muvva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 227
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

Hey all,

I am now having a strange problem,
I have rockford fosgate POWER components in my i20,i have been observing clipping of sound at little higher volumes(it was scary,it gave me feeling as if the speakers might get burnt)

So we openend the door pads and found few exposed wiring(thanks to hyundai,i guess this happend when i gave for denting work),so sealed all of them with insulating tape and put clamps where ever necessary.
It was all fine for a week.
Then again the same problem cropped up, but this time when i have set the fader to Rear(completely) it was all fine.So the problem was with front speaker.

So openend up the front ones and then came the shock. Cross over of the front left speaker had some loose resistors/what ever they are called.
The guys who were working on my car said that they it couldnt be repaired.

So i am now wondering how to proceed with that,
Is it possible to source the cross over alone or else i need to buy a new set of speakers?

Now i have removed cross-over,disconnected tweeter and directly powered the speaker from AMP.
Needless to say that it isnt sounding even half good as it was before.

Waiting to hear from guru's here.

Regards,
Harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 16:17   #506
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,869 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
... I am now having a strange problem,
I have rockford fosgate POWER components in my i20 ...
Your first action should be to take it to the dealer, or go directly to the agency which deals in servicing RF products (amps, components etc.). From your description it looks like it is a problem that can be easily sorted out by a competent technician.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 10:26   #507
BHPian
 
harsha.muvva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 227
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your first action should be to take it to the dealer, or go directly to the agency which deals in servicing RF products

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Unfortunately,i bought these speakers from US,so i dont think these guys do the repair or not.

The RF sub-dealer here said that the cross-over need to be replaced and says it cant be repaired.

Will post the pics of the cross-over once i am back in town

Regards,
Harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 14:45   #508
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,869 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
... i bought these speakers from US,so i dont think these guys do the repair or not. ...
They will. At most you will have to pay service charges, since there is no warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
... The RF sub-dealer here said that the cross-over need to be replaced and says it cant be repaired. ...
A cross-over is a very simple circuit, with less than a handful of components. The "sub-dealer" (retailer?) is angling to make you buy a new pair of components. Quite sure his quote for replacement of cross-overs will be just about the same as that of a new pair of components!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 14:59   #509
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,372
Thanked: 3,784 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
The RF sub-dealer here said that the cross-over need to be replaced and says it cant be repaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
i have been observing clipping of sound at little higher volumes(it was scary,it gave me feeling as if the speakers might get burnt)

So openend up the front ones and then came the shock. Cross over of the front left speaker had some loose resistors/what ever they are called.
The guys who were working on my car said that they it couldnt be repaired.
Harsha,

Your speaker's crossover wil have 3 types of passive components. Resistors, Capacitors, and Inductors.

The only ones that can fail (in practical circumstances) are the capacitors and the one that I worry most about is the series capacitor of the tweeter's XO. If a cap fails it goes short and that means the tweeter will have NO protection.

Fortunately from the symptoms you describe this does not seem to be the case with your system.

If some of the components have come loose simply soldering them back should resovle the issue. I would do this first.

However the symptoms you descirbe do not nesscarily seem to originiate from the crossover. I suspect that your front speakers are getting too much LF (more than they can handle) and hence are "hitting their Xmax" which means that the cone cant move any more than they are. The solution for this is a 'bass blocker'. A bass blaocker is simply a cap (around 250uf) in series with the woofer. To do this all you need to do is solder 2 470uf (this will give you about 235uf but it is close enough) back to back see link below
http://frienergi.alternativkanalen.c...iler/Fig85.gif

more here.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...t-install.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I noticed these small indentations(?) on the front right speaker ( a 4 year old Bolt from Lightning Audio ). Is this normal?.
Nothing to worry about.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 10:09   #510
BHPian
 
harsha.muvva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 227
Thanked: 341 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Harsha,

If some of the components have come loose simply soldering them back should resovle the issue. I would do this first.

However the symptoms you descirbe do not nesscarily seem to originiate from the crossover. I suspect that your front speakers are getting too much LF (more than they can handle) and hence are "hitting their Xmax" which means that the cone cant move any more than they are. The solution for this is a 'bass blocker'.
I am working on soldering the loose parts.Have already soldered one loose component(cylindrical plastic cone with steel wire winded around it).
Pardon my ignorance, Don't know what it is called.
There is one more loose thing,this is resistor i suppose(will post pics by evening of the same).

Regarding "hitting their Xmax", i have been running this same set-up from one n half year without any problem,so i think i can exclude this.

thank you very much for the detailed reply

Regards,
harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3928 17th October 2017 13:01
Google SMS - An end to Ask me service ! Sahil Shifting gears 12 30th January 2008 00:05
The Newbie Thread: Things you were scared to ask vidvai Technical Stuff 30 17th August 2007 17:30
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks