Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 17:50   #526
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 877
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What kind of boxes are those? Most of the readymade boxes for 6x9 ovals fit with the longer side parallel to the rear glass.
Well actually they are the regular size readymade tapered type almost triangular from the side profile, but the space behind the rear seat in Reva is hardly 4 inches [rear seat back rest slanting in does not help] and the base of the speaker box is about 6-7 inches, if I don't fasten the rear seat back with the rubber holders than the boxes fit in and the rear seat back will be in vertical / upright position, even that will do. In any case it does not matter since I prefer to keep the boxes on the rear seat base as I use the space behind the seat for keeping the charging cable, tool box, water pipe etc, that way all the small things remain in that place. I'll post a pic once I reach home. The rear seats will not be used in any case. If at all somebody desires to sit there will be looking like this
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 19:16   #527
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
... the space behind the rear seat in Reva is hardly 4 inches [rear seat back rest slanting in does not help] and the base of the speaker box is about 6-7 inches, ...
Sorry, please pardon an old man's folly - I was reading Reva and visualizing ... Tata Nano!!!

A better place would be, if at all possible to do it, the ceiling at the back or the rear pillars. Please post pics - 2 minds are always better than 1!!!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 15:53   #528
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 179
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Dear Gurus,

So finally after educating myself with some basic ICE stuff and spending a good time on this side of forum. After some extensive research (with limited budget) I have zeroed down to below two setups for my car -

Setup - 1

4 Channel amp (KAC M846) - Powering front comps and rear coaxial
2 Channel amp (KAC M526 (2Channel) / Blapunkt EMA 255) - Powering sub
Comps - Infinity reference 6500cx
Coaxial - Any decent one within 3.5K
Sub - JBL 1215B
Damping - Dynamat extreme front 2 doors

Setup - 2
JBL GTO 804EZ - Powering front comps and sub.
Comp - Infinity Primus
Rear speakers - Stock
Sub - JBL 1215B
Damping - Dynamat extreme front 2 doors

Both the setups will cost almost same, which setup will deliver better SQ? I am looking for a clean output without sounding too bright. The car in question is i20 with complete stock audio.
sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 16:47   #529
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
... I have zeroed down to below two setups for my car - ... Both the setups will cost almost same, which setup will deliver better SQ? ...
Setup 1.

For rear coax, put Infinity Reference coaxes - 6502ix. The 15" sub may be an overkill for the i20 - a 12" sub will suffice. Also, you need not get the 2 channel amp additionally. Keep the rear coaxes on HU, and drive the sub with the bridged rear channels of the 4-channel amp.

OTOH, if you want to create a 'back massager' for the rear seat, get a mono amp and drive the 15" sub with it.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 17:15   #530
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 179
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Setup 1.

The 15" sub may be an overkill for the i20 - a 12" sub will suffice. Also, you need not get the 2 channel amp additionally. Keep the rear coaxes on HU, and drive the sub with the bridged rear channels of the 4-channel amp.

OTOH, if you want to create a 'back massager' for the rear seat, get a mono amp and drive the 15" sub with it.
Hi,

It is a 12" sub only with company sealed enclosure (1215B is the model no.)
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 17:45   #531
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
... 12" sub only with company sealed enclosure (1215B is the model no.)
Oops, sorry! Yes, this will do fine.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:16   #532
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 179
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Setup 1.

For rear coax, put Infinity Reference coaxes - 6502ix. . Also, you need not get the 2 channel amp additionally. Keep the rear coaxes on HU, and drive the sub with the bridged rear channels of the 4-channel amp.

OTOH, if you want to create a 'back massager' for the rear seat, get a mono amp and drive the 15" sub with it.
Thanks for your inputs! I am going ahead with the below setup -

Amp - JBL GTO 804EZ
Comp - Infinity primus pr6500cs
Sub - JBL CS1215B (Comapny enslosure)
JBL 949 (6x9) oval on tray (Powered from a separate Blaupunkt 2 channel amp)
Damping - Front doors

Need your approval for this setup before I proceed
sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 11:40   #533
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
... Need your approval for this setup before I proceed
LOL if you are happy, we are happy - that is the greatest approval! Go ahead. Do mention the prices when the installation is completed, and post pics.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 04:25   #534
BHPian
 
iron.head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 207
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
LOL if you are happy, we are happy - that is the greatest approval! Go ahead. Do mention the prices when the installation is completed, and post pics.
Hi DelAlte

I need some help from you again! Dad's Santro is being passed on to me and he is getting himself a new car.

This car is currently running KDC-U4549SD and JBL GTO 949 and some Blaupunkt 4" front speakers. I am not happy with the current audio quality(maybe because I am unable to configure settings properly) and the front speakers have very little output.

I am planning to upgrade the audio with better front speakers, amp etc with a budget between 10-15k. I am also willing to do some mods to fit bigger speakers(6") in the front.

Could you suggest me what would be the ideal purchase in this budget to get some clean distortion free music(at good volumes) with some decent bass for this car. Forgive me if I am asking for too much in this budget.

Thanks!

Last edited by iron.head : 27th April 2014 at 04:31.
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 11:40   #535
BHPian
 
devilwearsprada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 30km. from IGI.
Posts: 396
Thanked: 546 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Get the Infinity reference, along with a rockford 250.4 at around 12.5 combined. You will be happy, get custom spacers for door speakers in the front!
devilwearsprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 23:41   #536
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Dear Gurus

Need your valuable inputs / guidance -

I am planning for this simple ICE setup for my 2014 Fluidic Verna (1.6 CRDI SX) - at EVO (Satya). Am on a tight budget as you'd notice - max 25000/-

Retaining OEM HU & my good ol' JBL GT5 644 for the time being.
4 channel line output converter (TSK TD22 suggested by Satya) or Scosche SLC 4
Focal - KIT 165A1SG - 6.5'' Two Way Component System
Focal - KIT 165CA1 - 6.5'' Two Way Coaxial Speaker
Cerwin Vega HED3104 10" Sub - in a sealed enclosure (in exchange of Memphis 8" Sub which was in my previous Xing)

The original idea was to drive both Focals (in parallel, front) & Sub (rear) using the GT5 Amp.

Alternatively, Can I look at one of the below mentioned amp (in bridged mode) to power the Cerwin Vega HED3104 10" Sub, while the current JBL GT5 S644 4 Ch is used to power the 4 Focal speakers (Comp + Coaxial).

While none of these are mono amp (forget about being D class), I felt they could do the job for a budget set-up like mine. Please correct me if I have got this wrong.

Blaupunkt - EMA 255 - 2-Channel Class A/B Amplifier (330 W) - Snapdeal Rs.3490/-
Rockford Fosgate - Prime Series - R125-2 125 Watt 2-Channel Amplifier - Snapdeal Rs.5606/-
JBL - GX-A622SI - 2 Channel Class AB Amplifier - Snapdeal Rs.4997/-
JBL - GT X424 - 300W 2Channel Power Amplifier - Snapdeal Rs.4699/-
Kicker - EX150.2 - 2-Channel Amplifier 75W - Snapdeal Rs.7210/-


Which route Would you recommend & if the 2nd route is recommended, which 2 Ch Amp for the Sub would be your preference.

Thanking you in advance & really looking forward to hear from you.
kosh4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 02:45   #537
BHPian
 
iron.head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 207
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Hi DelAlte

I need some help from you again! Dad's Santro is being passed on to me and he is getting himself a new car.

This car is currently running KDC-U4549SD and JBL GTO 949 and some Blaupunkt 4" front speakers. I am not happy with the current audio quality(maybe because I am unable to configure settings properly) and the front speakers have very little output.

I am planning to upgrade the audio with better front speakers, amp etc with a budget between 10-15k. I am also willing to do some mods to fit bigger speakers(6") in the front.

Could you suggest me what would be the ideal purchase in this budget to get some clean distortion free music(at good volumes) with some decent bass for this car. Forgive me if I am asking for too much in this budget.

Thanks!

Hi DelAlte

I just got to know that the rear speakers have also got busted. Will have to check though. Now my updated request is also to help me with some new speakers for the rear too. Budget can go around 20k max now.

Thanks!
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 13:58   #538
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Dear Gurus

Need your valuable inputs / guidance -

I am planning for this simple ICE setup for my 2014 Fluidic Verna (1.6 CRDI SX) - at EVO (Satya). Am on a tight budget as you'd notice - max 25000/-
.....
Thanking you in advance & really looking forward to hear from you.
Any suggestions... Navin, DerAlte... help
kosh4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 14:32   #539
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
... Am on a tight budget as you'd notice - max 25000/- ...
That is much larger than any budget I ever had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
... The original idea was to drive both Focals (in parallel, front) ...
What exactly do you mean by "in parallel, front"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
... Which route Would you recommend & if the 2nd route is recommended, which 2 Ch Amp for the Sub would be your preference. ...
Retain as much as you can. I would keep the rear coaxes on the HU, as the rears don't need so much power. That would avoid getting another amp to drive the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
... I just got to know that the rear speakers have also got busted. Will have to check though. Now my updated request is also to help me with some new speakers for the rear too. Budget can go around 20k max now. ...
The main problem is shoehorning 6.5" components - there is no OE location for the mid-bass in the doors, so the door pad (and possibly the door itself) has to be modified. No 4" coax or component is going to come close to a 6.5" component. Also, there are no good 4" components available in India (in US, yes).

Read the following threads thoroughly - you will get an idea what needs to be done:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...g-queries.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...my-santro.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ed-santro.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...usionized.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ed-santro.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...et-1k-40k.html
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 10:13   #540
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That is much larger than any budget I ever had!
As usual I started with 15-17K budget (Rockford Fosgate option all around!), went to 20-22K (thanks to Focal+Cervin option). I think I should stop giving in to my heart & start listening to my wallet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What exactly do you mean by "in parallel, front"?
As I understood from Satya, the front line output from Amp will be used to run both Components + Coaxials connected in parallel & the rear line output from Amp will be used to power the Sub in bridged mode. I hope I have got it correct or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Retain as much as you can. I would keep the rear coaxes on the HU, as the rears don't need so much power. That would avoid getting another amp to drive the sub.
There are no pre-out from the OEM HU & the speaker level has to go into the LOC, isn't it?
I agree - I will stick with just the current Amp & see how it works out for some time.

What would be your recommendation for the Sub - I am not into SPL & 'boomy' sound. My music preference ranges from Classic Rock, Pop, Country to Classical - depending on my mood. So ported enclosure is not for me. Will current 8" Memphis suffice for Verna or minimum 10" is required?

Thanks a ton for the prompt help
kosh4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3741 20th January 2017 09:50
Google SMS - An end to Ask me service ! Sahil Shifting gears 12 30th January 2008 00:05
The Newbie Thread: Things you were scared to ask vidvai Technical Stuff 30 17th August 2007 17:30
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks