Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th May 2014, 12:56   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Here is the OEM location where the tweeters are installed -
Ouch! Too close to the ear, and not much off-axis.

1. Did you check the switch setting on the cross-over box? Should be at 0dB. Or, if present, at -2dB

2. A better location would be the sail panel - inside the ORVM (don't worry, it will not look bad in the mounting cup supplied in the box). When mounting there, the right tweeter should be made to point at the left headrest, and vice versa. In this position, the tweeter will not be so close to the ear, and the response will be off-axis when pointed like that - ultimately the tweeter will sound much less bright
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 15:31   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ouch! Too close to the ear, and not much off-axis.

1. Did you check the switch setting on the cross-over box? Should be at 0dB. Or, if present, at -2dB

2. A better location would be the sail panel - inside the ORVM (don't worry, it will not look bad in the mounting cup supplied in the box). When mounting there, the right tweeter should be made to point at the left headrest, and vice versa. In this position, the tweeter will not be so close to the ear, and the response will be off-axis when pointed like that - ultimately the tweeter will sound much less bright
1. I couldn't check as the cross-over box is inside the door panel. However, I have the pic which was taken at the time of installation -

2. How can i point and take the exact angle while placing the tweeter? Also, how to fix it with certain angle?

Cross-over pic -
Attached Thumbnails
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-img_2465.jpg  

sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 16:09   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. I couldn't check as the cross-over box is inside the door panel. However, I have the pic which was taken at the time of installation ...
What is the exact model number of your front components? This doesn't look like the usual Primus or Reference series crossovers.

Anyhow, if this is the cross over box, I am referring to the round button in the center. That button should be in 'released' state - 0dB (jutting fully out, not pressed inside - which is +3dB).

Quote:
2. How can i point and take the exact angle while placing the tweeter? Also, how to fix it with certain angle? ...
I think there is a swivel mount in the box - it usually is. If you mount that box on the sail panel, you can swivel the tweeter to face, for example, the left side headrest. This has to be done by eye only. Tie a thread to the headrest mounting rod, bring the other end to the tweeter, and adjust so that the thread (stretched tight and touching the tweeter) looks perpendicular at the centre of the grill. A bit tricky, but one can generally do this without much difficulty. Exact angle doesn't matter, as long as the tweeter looks to be pointing at the far headrest.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 16:40   #559
BHPian

Quote:
What is the exact model number of your front components? This doesn't look like the usual Primus or Reference series crossovers.

Tie a thread to the headrest mounting rod, bring the other end to the tweeter, and adjust so that the thread (stretched tight and touching the tweeter) looks perpendicular at the centre of the grill. A bit tricky, but one can generally do this without much difficulty. Exact angle doesn't matter, as long as the tweeter looks to be pointing at the far headrest.
Sure I will try to set the angle as suggested by you.

Its Infinity Reference 6500CX. The right hand side box in the pic -
Attached Thumbnails
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-img_2453.jpg  

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-img_2461.jpg  

Old 13th May 2014, 18:53   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Not a good quality job done by the installer. These should have been checked at the time of installation (assuming they know what this is about)
* Reverse the polarity of *one* of the mid-bass speakers
I discussed the issue with the installer/shop owner and they are saying that if this is a polarity issue the speaker will crack at high volumes. In order to have mid-bass i have to change the HU. The stock i20 HUs are inherently treble heavy that is why that excess bright feeling.

Now I am not confident with the same guy working on my car and showing his ICE skills. I managed to speak to Mr. Ajay Kamath (B&T) and he agreed to have a look and fix the issue. Need to plan a visit for Mumbai in that case.

I don't even feel like turning the ICE system on as its all *Dhoom Dhamaaka* and *chan chan* which rather irritates and reminds me autowalla and pan shops

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 13th May 2014 at 19:00. Reason: Removal of multiple smileys
Old 14th May 2014, 17:47   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I discussed the issue with the installer/shop owner and they are saying that if this is a polarity issue the speaker will crack at high volumes. In order to have mid-bass i have to change the HU. The stock i20 HUs are inherently treble heavy that is why that excess bright feeling. ...
Please go to someone else. The less said the better about this person.

Anyhow you are going to meet B&T, so the thing should be sorted.
Old 15th May 2014, 14:25   #562
Senior - BHPian

Dear All,

I had done a small work(ICE) on my micra.I had a Terrano HU in place of the original Micra HU.I wanted some improvement in the sound quality so i planned to go for a SONY component speakers.The guy from the shop fixed it but the output is very pathetic.What can possibly be the reason? please help.
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 15:18   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
... SONY component speakers.The guy from the shop fixed it but the output is very pathetic.What can possibly be the reason? ...
Quite simple: those Sony component speakers are pathetic. That is why we always advise: listen to the speakers before you buy - your ears (and what is in between) are the best judge.

Try, perhaps the place where you bought it from might give you something else in place of this.
Old 15th May 2014, 21:23   #564
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default jbl infinity reference 5002ix

I have bought pioneer 2690bt head unit for my Tata aria pure lx. Dealer guy told me doors can take 5.25" or 6", but not 6.5". Do not want to cut anything. Restrict to speakers which fit this enclosure. No amplifier too.I have zeroed on pioneer 1350 thee way coaxials or jbl cs-5 coaxials. which is better?
What about jbl infinity reference 5002ix? Are they better than cs-5?
I want to put speakers with RMS output less then 50 watts each to match head unit output.
My requirement is melodies from old/new film
Any suggestions?

Last edited by rkg : 15th May 2014 at 21:27.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 14:39   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: jbl infinity reference 5002ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
... Tata aria pure lx. Dealer guy told me doors can take 5.25" or 6", but not 6.5". ...
It is possible to put 6.5" using a MDF spacer - experienced installers know that.

Don't put coax in front - get a pair of good components. Listen to Infinity Reference, Polk, Boston, Morel etc. - audition before buying. Buy coaxes of the same brand for rear doors. Don't worry about the wattage of the speakers.
Old 16th May 2014, 15:05   #566
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is possible to put 6.5" using a MDF spacer - experienced installers know that.

Don't put coax in front - get a pair of good components. Listen to Infinity Reference, Polk, Boston, Morel etc. - audition before buying. Buy coaxes of the same brand for rear doors. Don't worry about the wattage of the speakers.
Shall i install infinity reference 5002ix on both the doors?

How to audition the speakers? I had bought head unit on snapdeal. Dealer has offered to fit it. Iam thinking of dealer for warranty purpose.

Last edited by rkg : 16th May 2014 at 15:07.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 15:32   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
... How to audition the speakers? I had bought head unit on snapdeal. Dealer has offered to fit it. Iam thinking of dealer for warranty purpose.
To audition, go to a dealer / installer with a brick&mortar shop. There are plenty in Bangalore - check in the Bangalore installers thread. Listen to different brands and models. After listening to the speakers, if you find that Snapdeal is cheaper, buy from Snapdeal. At most you may have to pay installation charges if you go back to the installer with your own stuff.

The dealer doesn't necessarily know better, and warranty is not void if a professional installer does it. Most of the dealers in fact do *not* have professional installers.

Please go and listen to a good system first, doesn't matter whether there is an external amp or not. There is a palpable difference between components and coaxials in front - components produce a distinct image where one can locate singer and instruments. Also, there is quite a lot of difference in the mid-bass produced by 5.25" and 6.5" speakers.
Old 17th May 2014, 12:13   #568
BHPian

Hi Gurus, so i got a good HU as part of the xplore edition on my Alto K10, it came with a pair of 4" speakers in the dash but now they have started to make weird noises.
so i thought of replacing them rather than fighting with the MGA thugs.

While researching i like the JBL CS4 but some forums mentioned that the speaker doesnt fit well into the Alto K10 dash slot due to its big magnets while somemhave mentioned that they have the same speaker fitted.

So can the CS4 be fitted into the dash of an Alto K10?

If not then what should be my alternatives?

i dont want to install speakers anywhere else other than the dashboard as this car has serious space crunch.
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 10:04   #569
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a Zen Estilo, from last 3-4 days i am facing a strange issue with my music system is that after 3-4 minutes it automatically restarts. I have a simple sony head unit with CD and USB. I am not sure where the problem lies, can you please suggest if i can check anything, is the problem with HU or some wiring related issues? I am not sure why this is happening.

Thanks
rajpandey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 12:54   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpandey10 View Post
... strange issue with my music system is that after 3-4 minutes it automatically restarts. I have a simple sony head unit with CD and USB. ...
Could be a wiring issue (loose connection at the connector at rear. Could be a case of overheating. Take it to a Sony A.S.S. - they should be able to figure it out.